RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #1

Frame mounted receiver for bike rack

I want to put a bike rack on the back of my trailer. Many on this forum cautioned against using a bumper mounted rig and strongly urged putting the rack into a frame mounted receiver. How do I go about doing that? What about putting one on the front of the TV?

hipbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2019, 06:17 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipbone View Post
I want to put a bike rack on the back of my trailer. Many on this forum cautioned against using a bumper mounted rig and strongly urged putting the rack into a frame mounted receiver. How do I go about doing that? What about putting one on the front of the TV?
You pay somebody to weld it to the frame. Just look for a good welding shop. Here in Seattle, there's an outfit called Torklift that installed ours.

Old 02-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #3

You should never put a bike rack on the existing trailer bumper. It is far too weak and will fail. I have had a "receiver" welded to the frame, which puts the full load on the frame. As noted above you need to take the trailer to a quality welding shop. My current trailer was ordered with a hitch already welded to the frame. In both cases I have carried two to four bicycles with ease. Never a concern.
Old 02-26-2019, 07:38 AM   #4

Another option: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...iABEgIyCfD_BwE
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #5

On my 5'er I just made one myself. You can get receiver tubes online then some angle stock form a local vendor. If you can't weld or don't have the stuff to do so, just ask a welding shop. They will have access to all the materials and can fab one up in no time, especially if it's only for bikes and nit boats being pulled behind it.

https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Fabri...saAn5fEALw_wcB
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:02 AM   #6

Quote:
If you have a Jayco check the rear frame. Some come prefitted for a bolt on receiver hitch...
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
A rack on the back of the trailer would be easier to fabricate than one for the front. The bikes would be easier to access as well. Either way they can be welded or bolted to the trailer's frame. A bolt on would be easier to remove should you no longer need it.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #8

If you like your bikes, don't put them on the front of your TV.

I went through this decision process last fall, when we added mountain biking to our camping life.

My TT has a pull out rear cargo tray, so it is designed to support up to 200lbs of weight. And that bumper already had a factory mounted rack and spare tire.

I used a Swagman adapter on my bumper. Their instructions specify to see if your bumper is fully welded to the frame (yes in my case). I'm pretty sure the Swagman web site has something saying they're not aware of an RV bumper fail for a unit that's been installed properly.

We made an 1,100 mile 3-week trip and things were fine. Since then I've needed to upgrade my bike rack to a heavier version, so I've relocated the spare to the front of the TT.

We're not using an RV specific bike rack. I find it hard to believe the manual for our rack advises against using it on anything but paved roads (while on the back of your car/truck). This is a rack designed to be compatible with fat-tire and very wide mountain bike tires. But since my rack currently has 2 trays and can be expanded to 4, I suspect the engineering is strong enough for what we're doing.

Best regards,
Chris
BubbaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #9

I've done both the camper receiver hitch and a front receiver on the TV. Location is up to you. With the bikes up front, you can drive over them when they fall off. With them in the back you never know when they fall off.
Seriously, check out Curt hitches on Amazon. They have both types and their bolt on fit is good. The universal RV hitch is what I use to tow my Jeep behind my fifth wheel. No problems.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:44 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
How about one of these hipbone? I don't like the idea of having one on the rear of the rv either. This seem to be a good option.
There are a few brands out there. This is just one example.
http://cdn.blog.rvshare.com/wp-conte...2015/07/05.jpg
jimmystoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:39 AM   #11

When we first got our trailer I debated this idea. But in the end i made a setup for 4 bikes to be installed on the dining area. Which mounts to the plywood seats.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #12

I done the same thing. Mounted in the dinette area inside the trailer. Helps keep the bikes clean and dry.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I've done both the camper receiver hitch and a front receiver on the TV. Location is up to you. With the bikes up front, you can drive over them when they fall off. With them in the back you never know when they fall off.
This, IMHO, is a real plus to the front mount. They fall of the back, you don't know about it. But the wreck that is caused by the bikes sliding down the hiway... When they drop in front of you your bikes wreck your family, not somebody else...
Now if you can be sure they stay on, bikes on the back must be offset by weight added to front to keep tongue or pin weight right. OTOH, the front axle of the TV is least likely to be overloaded....
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmystoys View Post
How about one of these hipbone? I don't like the idea of having one on the rear of the rv either. This seem to be a good option.

There are a few brands out there. This is just one example.

http://cdn.blog.rvshare.com/wp-conte...2015/07/05.jpg
There's one that bolts right on where the tongue jack bolts to the frame...

Here it is... Ease of installation, you can tell by the noise that the bikes fell off... Fewer bugs on the bikes.

https://www.lci1.com/jack-it

You just unbolt the tongue jack, and reattach with this thing under it. 15mins.

sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack, frame