Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #1

Frameless Window Maintenance

We have noticed after sitting outside during the winter months that our frameless windows start sticking to the rubber seals. Anyone have any ideas for treating the rubber seals to keep them from adhering to the glass? Any other concerns with the Frameless Windows??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
Lac

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan827 View Post
We have noticed after sitting outside during the winter months that our frameless windows start sticking to the rubber seals. Anyone have any ideas for treating the rubber seals to keep them from adhering to the glass? Any other concerns with the Frameless Windows??

Excellent question we have the same issues...I think I will test the seals with a very lite dusting of baby powder...i use baby powder on my slide seals and works great.

Coops

Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
I've heard that baby powder works pretty good. We use a product called "303" on all our rubber seals. Seems to do the job for us; no rubber sticking ot the glass, anyway! \ken
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 02:57 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I can get the special powder used for rubber gloves and might use that. Be careful not to bend those little rods that open the window as they are not replaceable. What I do is easily try to open the window a little, if it's stuck I go out and un-stick it then apply some dry lube to the track on the window that the little wheel rides in. I am not impressed with how these things work but that's what we got and all the frameless windows are the same. I had the huge rear window on my WR 250RDSW replaced because some "person" over stressed the opening rods causing the little wheels to snap out of their tracks and brake before I got the TT. Replaced under warranty, no issues. BTW, the Kenro frame less windows are owned by,,,,,,,,,, you guessed it, Lippert. Just one big happy family.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Corn starch baby powder (unscented) or 303. Normal baby powder has mineral oil in it what can deteriorate rubber.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #6

I thank you all for the great suggestions. Will try the powder without the mineral oil for sure. Sorry to see our camping season running down here in the upper Midwest but looking forward to next spring and our quest for a new Trailer or FW this winter. Have a good one now......
Old 10-27-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

The powder will build up with time and will make the windows harder to operate. Baby powder is just talc which is either soapstone or some other mineral. It's just ground to make it fine. If you add water to a bunch of powder you get a mess.
303 is the way to go, it will eliminate any sticking and will protect the rubber seals from those nasty UV rays. It is also recommended by Fantastic Fans for use on the rubber seal to keep the cover from sticking to the vent.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:59 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
All my rubber seals (slide, storage doors, doors and frameless windows) I spray on silicon spray (Wally-World). Slide seals I do once every month or two. On the frameless windows I wipe out the window sills twice a year, clean the inside glass and wipe down the rubber seals with silicon.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 07:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
I've heard that baby powder works pretty good. We use a product called "303" on all our rubber seals. Seems to do the job for us; no rubber sticking ot the glass, anyway! \ken
I see there are a few different 303 products. Which one are you using?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM   #10

I use 303 Aero Space Protectant on my slide seals. It's also the recommended product for my home spa cover. It's the one that's for 'Vinyl, Rubber, Plastic, Leather, Fiberglass'. I also use it on my tires and any black plastic trim on my vehicles. Stuff is awesome. Some guys say they use it as a polish on their RV's but I've never been able to get a good look doing that. I just stick to auto polish.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I use 303 Aero Space Protectant on my slide seals. It's also the recommended product for my home spa cover. It's the one that's for 'Vinyl, Rubber, Plastic, Leather, Fiberglass'. I also use it on my tires and any black plastic trim on my vehicles. Stuff is awesome. Some guys say they use it as a polish on their RV's but I've never been able to get a good look doing that. I just stick to auto polish.
Thank you. We are going to try and pick some up this weekend...

Tags
maintenance, window