Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 11:06 AM   #1

Freedom Express A/C

I've been RVing since 2007 and learned something new that I'd never heard before. I've had a 30ft TT and a POP-up and have always plugged into my household electric service. I just purchased a 2016 27ft Coachmen Freedom Express Model 231RBDS. During the new owner orientation the instructor said DO NOT connect to household receptical to use the A/C. Household current only supplies 15 amps and the A/C requires a full 30 amp. He said it would throw the breaker but if it didn't it would fry the adaptor that plugs into the TT cord in order to plug into house hold current. MY QUESTION: What must be done to get 30 amps from my household current. Please advise.
biker777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 11:59 AM   #2

Look in you panel box in the camper.. What size breaker feeds the A/C?? It's either a 15 or a 20..

If it's a 15 you can probably plug it in anywhere as long as you don't try to use anything else like a micro or electric water heater etc.(also depends on what else is on that 15 amp circuit that your plugging in to).. .. If it's a 20 you want a dedicated 20 amp recept. to plug into..

Ideally you will want a 120 volt 30 amp recept. to plug into just like you do at the campground.

Joe
meganjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #3

The AC requires a 20A circuit.
It will run, but not very long and not adviseable.

To get a full 30A circuit off your house, you need an electrician to come wire it up for one with new wiring if you can't.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

if you have an electric dryer with the big 4 or 3 prong plug you are already wired and just need a really thick and long cord to reach if need be.

I if my funny in that way to my home.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:46 PM   #5

sorry, spell check ruined that whole previous post

I run my generator that way but require an adaptor so be careful you have the right wiring, consult a licensed electrician.....
Old 07-25-2015, 01:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVGuy1966 View Post
if you have an electric dryer with the big 4 or 3 prong plug you are already wired and just need a really thick and long cord to reach if need be.

I if my funny in that way to my home.
If you have an electric clothes dryer, it very well may be 240V and if you plug in a 30A RV you have just cost yourself a lot of money.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

Quote:
sorry, spell check ruined that whole previous post

I run my generator that way but require an adaptor so be careful you have the right wiring, consult a licensed electrician.....
Backfeeding a dryer recept. is dangerous .. If I were you I would "consult a licensed electrician"..

There is a right way and a wrong way to do things and that is the wrong way..

Not trying to be a d..k but that could kill somebody..

Joe
Old 07-25-2015, 01:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
If you have an electric clothes dryer, it very well may be 240V and if you plug in a 30A RV you have just cost yourself a lot of money.

Actually the 50 amp at the campground is 240 volts.. The correct adapter will only pick up one leg (like at the campground) and you will be OK...

Joe
Old 07-25-2015, 02:27 PM   #9

gotcha, but I do it all the time and do have a background in it.

I did say to consult a licensed electrician.

not being a [ moderator edit ] myself but I did write that.......

ugh.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #10

If the A/C is turned off and you do not turn it on you can plus into 15amp at the house to keep the battery charged, or man cave TV room.

If you want to run the A/C you need more than just a weak 15amp connection.

I will use my 20amp outlet that the house microwave uses. I unplug the microwave and plug in a thick 20amp extension cord then an adapter to the 30 amp cord then to the trailer.

If you want a 30amp service run contact a certified electrician to run that dedicated circut.

Note: most houses are a 200amp service. So if you are running everything in the house you just might not have an extra 30amps available.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 02:55 PM   #11

Quote:
gotcha, but I do it all the time and do have a background in it.

I did say to consult a licensed electrician.

not being a [ moderator edit ]myself but I did write that.......

ugh.

Just 'cause you do it all the time doesn't make it right.. All somebody has to do is forget to turn the main off and you risk killing a line man.. Why not just do it right and put in a Transfer Switch or an Interlock??
Old 07-26-2015, 05:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by meganjoe View Post
Actually the 50 amp at the campground is 240 volts.. The correct adapter will only pick up one leg (like at the campground) and you will be OK...

Joe
Correct, if it's a 50A 240V outlet you're good.
But if it's a 30A 240V dryer outlet, you're not. That's what I mean.

And since you've got a background you definitely know that RV outlets are kinda special.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 AM   #13

oh my god,

AGAIN, did you not read????

I said consult an electrician!!!

you people just look for what you want to [ moderator edit ]about and not read the whole post....

keep copying the parts you want to fixate on...

unreal!!!!
Old 07-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #14

Quote:
oh my god,

AGAIN, did you not read????

I said consult an electrician!!!

you people just look for what you want to [ moderator edit ]about and not read the whole post....

keep copying the parts you want to fixate on...

unreal!!!!
No need to be upset. More information always helps. Want to make sure the OP has plenty of info.