Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2016, 11:53 PM   #15

I guess we may be on the extreme opposite of most.

We never drained our fresh water tank before short term or long term storage.

We keep our tank full and ready for use at all times, and we travel with a full fresh water supply.

We always use water from our home supply when possible.

I will sometimes introduce no more than 2oz of chlorine directly into the water supply hose if we run out of our home water supply, and start using the campground water supply, half filling the tank before departing for home, or filling completely if we know we will be using that water up in a few days.

I do a lot of washing during our trips, and this ensures we always have a fresh water turnover that won't have the time to grow anything in our tank.

DTW

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 12:55 AM   #16

I always try and empty now every time we come home. Just makes me feel better that it's not stewing in there. Not sure if it psychological or not.

I always fill using a WATTS 50 micron water filter into the tank. This eliminates most debris and gunk. Under the sink we have another residential style under counter water filter 5 micron just for drinking. So only filters the drinking water again etc.

It works wonders.

Here is the thread to what I did.

Some Pics of RV Mods/Upgrades I Made

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #17

It depends. Once I dewinterize the MH tank is stored full and the waste tanks empty. In the fall I drain the tanks and winterize with RV antifreeze. In the spring I dewinterize and sanitize with a mixture of water an Clorox. The proportions are on their web site. After it sits for some time I dump enough water to reduce the tank to half full and fill with water to cut the chlorine level. I do part or all of that by running all the faucests and shower to flush out the residual antifreeze and use jug water for a few days while the tank cycles out the rest of the added chlorine and antifreeze residue. After that I stop worrying about tank water until winterization time other than my normal full water empty waste practice.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When we bought our first Motorhome in 1994, the dealer said to leave the water tank full to the brim. He explained that leaving it partly empty or empty would leave you with a perfect environment for bacteria growth. I have always followed that advice and had no problems. Of course I have always used city water or community well water that had been treated.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:00 AM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you never introduce anything problematic, you should never be concerned about anything problematic. It's not a truly sealed system, and water sources vary, but this is water that you might drink, bathe in. You should know if the source is safe to begin with.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
If you never introduce anything problematic, you should never be concerned about anything problematic. It's not a truly sealed system, and water sources vary, but this is water that you might drink, bathe in. You should know if the source is safe to begin with.
X2,

And that's another reason I filter any time I add water to our system also.

DTW

Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, storage, tank, water