Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 12:05 PM   #1

Question Fresh water tank and storage

I just got back from my first trip. I'm cleaning and getting things ready to store for my next outing. I'll be draining out the existing water. Should I leave it empty until I get ready to go again? I was thinking about filling it up and adding a little chlorine to store it. I can drain and flush before my next trip. It just got me wondering.
Is there an accepted best practice for dealing with the fresh water and tanks? What say ye, experienced camping gurus?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #2

I would drain it and leave it empty. It takes a bit of flushing to get the bleach smell out, so if not needed I would not mess with it. Definitely sanitize to start the season.

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'

Old 07-19-2016, 01:13 PM   #3

I leave the water in mine and top off as needed. I don't add chlorine, city water has plenty.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:41 PM   #4

Just be careful with leaving it in. Just went with a buddy who borrowed a motor home where well water was left in. The hot water tank smelled like rotten eggs, and the fresh water was not much better. Not sure how long it sat, but we had to flush the camp water through it for a while to get it tolerable. But even still, once the hot water tank heated up the showers were smelly. He needed to sanitize it, but on a trip is not the best time or place to do that. No where to drain an 80 gallon fresh tank a few times without flooding your site. City water has chlorine, so might do well.

We really don't use the fresh tank much. I do put about 10-20 gallons in before trips so we can use the toilet and wash hands on the way there and back. Other wise we use the camp water and a filter. And since it is camp water in my hot water tank, I drain it each time.

Dan
2015F150 4x4 XLT 5.0
Old 07-19-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

I have a whole house water filter that takes out the chlorine. So, I feel like I need to do something to keep it clean. If I was to fill the tank back up and add chlorine, what would be the proper amount?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you could find something that is like aquamira, that is the route I would go. It is the chemical the many municipal water providers use to disinfect their water
Water Storage & Purification Treatment Liquid, 2 oz | Aquamira
Old 07-20-2016, 02:39 PM   #7

I'm no expert, but not sure why you would want to fill it back up and add chlorine. You will have to drain it back out and flush it again to get the chlorine out before you use the water again, so I'm not sure what the value is in saving it vs. draining it out. I have always just drained the tank and the lines after a trip. Are you concerned about the empty tank/lines getting contaminated between trips? Just curious.

Dan
2015F150 4x4 XLT 5.0
Old 07-20-2016, 08:01 PM   #8

Well, I'm not really sure what I expect. It's two fold I guess. One, I'm new and wanted to develop a best practice with an acceptable method. Two, it's a used trailer that is new to me and I was hoping to disinfect the system. Although, that being said, I already took it out once and didn't notice anything alarming.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:38 PM   #9

I keep mine empty between trips. No reason to haul extra weight.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:03 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We keep a goodly amount of water onboard when stored at home. We keep the coach ready to go. It's our escape pod and lifeboat should natural event occur. We have been evacuated due to wildfires in the past.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #11

live in the boonies of Montana. So not a good referral. Dump the H2O tank and re fill between trips. Never drink water from tank Water from grocery store is under $1.00 a gal and we use 1 gal a day. Add a couple of oz of bleach to the tank every now and then. Use from there.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
We keep a goodly amount of water onboard when stored at home. We keep the coach ready to go. It's our escape pod and lifeboat should natural event occur. We have been evacuated due to wildfires in the past.
This is an important point. If your RV is kept at home, or nearby, having full water and fuel tanks at all times makes the RV very confortable emergency housing in a disaster or evacuation scenario.

On the west coast, we are under threat of major earthquake. I'd rather suffer through weeks of low or no basics to get by in my RV than a Red Cross shelter.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:24 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
If we're not going to be using the RV for a week we will drain the fresh tank. And just leave it empty. Sometimes we will add a few drops of bleach when we fill her up again

For the hot water heater we'll drain if we're not going to use it for 2 weeks or if the last fresh water fill was crappy well water.

Been traveling Alaska the last 2 months, so "good" water is sometimes hard to find. So we watch our water output carefully.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:34 PM   #14

I usually leave some water, 8-10 gallons in the tank. I want to be able to wash hands or whatever when I work on it, which I like to do.
I sanitize the tank when I winterize it and also when I ready it for the first trip.
Seems to work for me.

Tags
fresh water, storage, tank, water