Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2018, 12:47 PM   #1

Fresh water tank losing 1/3-1/2 volume after drive to site

I'll start with my question. Inquiring minds can read more below:

Is it normal to lose 1/4-1/2 of your fresh water tank while pulling TT down the highway for 8-12 hours? Trailer is brand new 2019 GD 297RSTS with 3 total trips on it. Trailer has drain hose on tank for overflow to notify when full during fill up.

Prior to going into Cache la Poudre River mountain park campsite, I needed to fill fresh water tank since no fresh water was available at campground. I filled to full, both per monitor and overflow drain hose at overnight stop in Nebraska. Than after an 8 hour drive of 480 miles or so, I had half a tank at arrival. To see if I had maybe a leaking fresh water tank bladder on my brand new 2019 GD 297RSTS, I did a similar thing while towing trailer home. I filled fresh tank full in Nebraska at overnight site, and then trailered it home another 900 miles or so. Got home with a 2/3ish full tank per the monitor as well as needing about 10 minutes of fill time to "top it off".

--Brian
osugasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #2

Can you see where the overflow is on your tank? If it’s on the side and the level sensors are on the same side, it’s possible your tank is pitched towards that side and is never really full. When you stop and level your trailer, it could be getting a different reading.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It happened to us with two motorhomes. I needed to reroute the overflow hose up higher so it wouldn't start a siphon when cornering.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #4

Unfortunately this it 100% normal simply because RV builders are too stupid/lazy/cheap to apply a simple fix in the factory. As is often the case, they rely on customers being too timid to require that the job be done right in the first place.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #5

I have owned 3 trailers and zero had this issue but I can see how it can happen.

My one trailer has a valve when the tank is full the valve opens and let's out excess water. I see water dripping and know the tank is full. Maybe you have the same set-up and your valve is stuck open. As you drive water sloshes out.

This trailer does not have a gravity feed water fill. It requires a city water hook-up to put pressure water into the fresh water tank with a valve turned to allow the fresh water tank to fill.

Oh, maybe you have a bad valve that let's water siphon back out.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Put a valve on the overflow line so it cannot siphon, or put a vacuum breaker on the line to eliminate siphoning.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:53 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
If the overflow line is creating a siphon, a simple fix is to poke or drill a tiny (1/16") hole in the high spot of the overflow hose. This will prevent a siphon by allowing air into the line as water flows down the hose. A siphon only continues as long as the water in the line is just water. Any air introduced will stop the siphon.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:55 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If the overflow line is creating a siphon, a simple fix is to poke or drill a tiny (1/16") hole in the high spot of the overflow hose. This will prevent a siphon by allowing air into the line as water flows down the hose. A siphon only continues as long as the water in the line is just water. Any air introduced will stop the siphon.
Yep...poor man's vacuum breaker!
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #9

Thanks all. I guess I will need to remove the underbelly cover to get access since this unit has the 4 seasons mode. Ugh. Will allow visual of the issue though.

--Brian
osugasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:35 PM   #10

This topic is covered well on GD owner's forum.
Fl2GaScotts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water