Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #1

Fresh Water usage

Hi all - My wife and I are new to the world of camping. We have had our Passport 2520RL out twice now and have thoroughly enjoyed it. The places we have stayed and the places we have reserved in the coming months all have at least water and electric. We have looked at a couple of campgrounds that we like but they do not have water. My fresh water tank is 43 gallons. I know if I run low I can tear it down and go re-fill - but I would like to avoid that. I know water usage varies but generally speaking, how long would you expect 43 gallons of fresh water would last for two people?

Thanks!

(this forum has been a wealth of information for us!!)

BeagleDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2016, 08:17 AM   #2

Probably 3-4 nights if you conserve. We have 54 gals of fresh and go 4-5 nights if we conserve. Our main problem isn't the fresh tank, it's the grey and black. We have a 40 gal grey and a 40 gal black. S0 80 gal combined. We take Navy type showers to conserve the fresh. We use a dish pan in the sink and after washing dishes we dump it in the toilet. Turn off the water pump while dumping in the toilet as that uses fresh water. So our 4-5 nights is limited to the grey tank and black tanks.
We also carry two blue 7 gal water jugs that we can fill the fresh tank with. I usually end up dumping them in on the 4th night. Might not have to but I think the fresh tank pick up tube is too high in the tank as we tend to run out of water before it's empty.
So with all that being said it really depends on how big your other tanks are.
Also we aren't total conservers in the sense that others with our tank sizes could go all week. We do have an outside 7 gal tank that we use to wash our hands with.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #3

We have 40,40 and 40 on the water stuff. We find we can do 4 days easy maybe 5 with navy showers. Gray fills first. Would like to be able to pump gray into black to extend time as we never have enough in the black to dump unless we add some at the dump station (I like it really full to dump) and it's easy to add fresh H2O. We use onboard fresh H2O exclusively.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

You should add plenty of water to the black tank before you do anything. Even before you leave the house... Like 5 gallons.
How long your tanks last really depends on your water usage. I don't need to shower every day (depending on activity and conditions) and if you use Dixie plates instead of flatware that needs washing, you can really make freshwater last.
Click that shower head off while you lather up and you can shower with only 2 gallons, easy.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Grey holding tank capacity has always been our limiting factor also. It was that way with our two TC's and now with the MH. On the second TC, a '92 11.5 Caribou, I placed another valve downstream from the black and grey that allowed me to gravity transfer water from the grey to the black. I'm thinking of doing the same to the MH after a bit of study to make sure it will work. Doing that would usually add a few more days and when the fresh water was gone both holding tanks would be full.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 09-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #6

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I'm confused a little though...My fresh water is 43 gallons. I have two 38 gal gray tanks and a 38 gal black tank. It would seem to me that the black/gray tanks would not need to hold more than the volume of the fresh water plus residual volume in the tanks plus volume of "additions" to black tank. How does gray/black tank size become the negating factor?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

I'm pretty sure you will find you have one gray and one black , we have a 40 gallon water tank. I like to Boondock a lot. And we can usually get 4 days on our water tank . ....Dusty
Old 09-09-2016, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyone View Post
I'm pretty sure you will find you have one gray and one black , we have a 40 gallon water tank. I like to Boondock a lot. And we can usually get 4 days on our water tank . ....Dusty
Well, here are the specs and my sensors show a Gray 1 and a Gray 2. Either way, it sounds like I should be good for a 3 day weekend! Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2520RL Specs.GIF
Views:	118
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	138521  
Old 09-09-2016, 07:24 PM   #9

My sensor bank also says I have two gray tanks, but I only have one. The manufacturer just uses the same sensor panel for multiple models. I believe if you had two your spec sheet would list both.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:41 PM   #10

Your specs show 1 gray tank, so that's all you have. As posted above, the RV manufacturers use a standard sensor pad, so they all show 2 gray tanks even if you only have 1.

I suggest buying a few blue 5 gallon water containers, fill them up, and bring them with you. You can add water to your fresh water tank this way. I use an extra water pump to pump the water from the containers into my RV.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #11

Having the right shower head will help with conservation. Recommend oxygenics. We have a 100 gal fresh water tank and can go 8 to 10 days if we are careful. Only lasted 4 days one time ... oops
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:50 AM   #12

IMHO, your listed specs seem a little unusual. If you really have only 43 gallons of fresh and a holding capacity of 76 gallons of grey along with 38 gallons of "waste water", whatever that is, I too would think that you will never run out of holding capacity before the fresh is gone. It would seem more logical to have 76 gallons of fresh, 43 of grey, and 38 of black, but I have no idea if that is the case. If it were me, I would try to verify the specs.

In any case, a three day weekend should not be a problem, if the showers aren't too long or frequent.:-))

Just my 2c.

Steve
Old 09-10-2016, 06:24 PM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
How many drain handles does you trailer have??!! Only 2 normally 1 black and 1 grey, 3 would normally be 1 black and 2 grey tanks. I would bet that you have 3 tanks as your indicator shows. Not uncommon to have more waste tankage than fresh capacity.

One thing to realize, to throw a towel on the discussion, is that the mfgs almost always show total fresh water INCLUDING the water heater. So in reality, you will have 6 or 10 gals less for your usage than the total stated by the mfg. So, you may want to consider carrying a few additional water jugs to be safe!!!

Our Timber Ridge states 80 gal fresh, but holds around 72 in the tank using a water meter when filling, and we have a 10 gal water heater.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:08 AM   #14

I do have only one gray handle so I guess I just have one large gray. I'll pick up a couple of blue jugs as reserve. Thanks all!

Tags
fresh water, water