Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Fridge and Freezer Use In Winter

I have been in my TT since October but now I am having a problem with the freezer not staying cold at -30 degrees Celsius. I know that sounds strange but I can't even make ice cubes in it. But it was functioning just fine. Any ideas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Since the refrigerator needs heat to make cold, (?!) I imagine that the boiler isn't getting enough heat in such extreme temperatures. I imagine if you put a small electric heater in the outside compartment you could warm it up enough to get it to work. Question I've got to ask, why not just put a plastic tub outside to act as your freezer? Are you in an area with bears or other wildlife?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #3

Tape up all but the bottom slit in the outside refer cover. This should conserve enough heat for the unit to work.

Might be best to remove the cover and take it inside for 30-45 minutes for it to be warm enough for the tape to stick then replace. Be careful/gentle with the plastic fittings they will be very brittle.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:19 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendOR View Post
Tape up all but the bottom slit in the outside refer cover. This should conserve enough heat for the unit to work.

Might be best to remove the cover and take it inside for 30-45 minutes for it to be warm enough for the tape to stick then replace. Be careful/gentle with the plastic fittings they will be very brittle.
I'd make sure my CO detector was working before restricting ventilation to a CO producer like the propane flame on the back of the refrigerator.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
-30 C.. now that's cold!!!!!

Does the fridge have a switch marked "LAT" (Low ambient Temp), if so turn it on,

If not, find the switch that controls the light inside the fridge and bypsss it so the light stays on full time.

This may help.

(What does the switch do.. Read the IF NOT paragraph).
Old 02-18-2015, 10:16 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
This past week we were skiing and we had a blizzard accompanied by -10F temps with 33MPH winds, fridge got warm and refused to cool on either gas or electric.

Found this thread and tried covering up the top two vents with tape, no go. Then found this thread, decided to turn if off and use it as an icebox and not worry about it, lots of free snow to use to cool with! Got thru the vacation fine, drove home over bumpy New Hampshire roads for 100 miles, turned on the fridge, and presto, it worked fine!

I think taking would work if I had done it before it started getting windy and cold, I'm leaving the tape on till spring!

Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge, winter