Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #1

Frozen Pipes

I am living f/t in southern IN in 19ft TT. I left the camper for two days. I left the propane heat on the lowest setting (50) thinking that should be good enough to keep the pipes from freezing. I was wrong.

I cranked the heat up, and added an 1500 BTU electric heater to keep the temps mid 70 now. The pipes in shower and the toliet line unfroze, but the sink will not. Any ideas.

I don't run the hot water heater as it is propane only and I don't want to waste. I can light it, but since water isn't moving past the shower, i don't see it helping.

I also have heated water hose, and the CG spigots are also heated. Income water will never get below 40.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:30 PM   #2

The electric heater or fan blowing air where the frozen pipes run. If you could get an incandescent bulb in the area without touching anything and closed off to retain the heat it would warm it.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure the cabinet doors under the sink are open to allow warm air in and under. You could try a 'water thief'
Amazon.com: Camco 22484 Water Bandit: Automotive

If you fill the hose with hot water then hook to pressure it might 'back flush' the ice or at least allow heated water into the iced area and break it up.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 04:34 PM   #4

A regular light bulb in a trouble light that you use to work on a car with can hang in the compartment and will work wonders.
Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
The pipes in shower and the toliet line unfroze, but the sink will not. Any ideas.
Are you talking about the sink in the bathroom or the sink in the kitchen?

Plain and simple...Your going to have to get warmth to the that area. Open up cabinets. If its the sink in the kitchen, you might have to take a drawer out and place a light bulb back there to get things warmed up. You can also see where the lines are running. Your kind of pushing it if the tt is not made for cold weather living, or it doesn't have a "arctic package" that some higher end RV trailers would offer. But once you find your weak points where pipes are getting too cold, you should be able to modify things to allow some heat in that area.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #6

It was the kitchen sink. I have no sink in the bathroom.
It unfroze, it just took more time. I left the electric heater on full, and after 80 degree inside temps if finally thawed.
I'll find some foam and try to better insulate the pipes
Old 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #7

I usually use a hair dryer with frozen pipe situations.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 PM   #8

You want to place the insulation between the pipes and outside walls, leave the side towards the heat open, and leave all cabinet doors open so air may circulate. A small fan, placed as high as possible, gently blowing downward, will help with warm air circulation. There can be a 15* temp.difference in a foot of distance from the outside walls.
Use a hair dryer on low setting, high can melt RV water lines__ I'm a witness.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Putting in the insulation, be sure and not compact or crush the insulation. The insulation is less effective if packed.

Ken
Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Use a hair dryer on low setting, high can melt RV water lines__ I'm a witness.
You've got that right. Best hold it several inches from the pipe and keep it moving
Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not know of any 19' trailers that would not have pipes freezing. They tend to have the pipes run under the floor and no insulated basement. In this case, your best bet would be to trace them with heat tape and insulate them with the foam pip insulation.

Ken
Old 11-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #12

thanks for the help. the TT is super lite, which also means super cheap. kitchen sink froze again last night. An engineeer at work said to skirt the camper in insulation foam to stop the wind from blowing under. It's acting like an air conditioner. I'm going to wrap any pipes I can see, in foam, and then skirt the camper with some board he had left. Shrink wrap the windows and cover up the door with fleece blanket for extra measures.

Never winter camped so I guess I had to learn the hard way.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Move to a apartment for the winter. It hasn't even started to get cold in IN. yet.
Only a few days of under 32 so far.

If you are having frozen pipes now. When it hits 0 or lower a lot of damage can happen and cost more to fix then a apartment rent until April.
That alone what your LP cost is going to be.

Ex Hoosier, now a Cracker.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 PM   #14

You will need a de-humidifier in the TT too during cold weather or you will have moister building up on the insides of you TT. It will be tough to get through a whole winter in a non-artic package super lite. It can be done but, it depends on how much work you want to do, and how much aggravation you can take. There will be a lot of problems creep up.