Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Frustrated with floor plans!

My DW and I have been searching for a TT for months now and are becoming aware of one peculiarity, plan after plan after plan, Dinette Only!! Doesn't anyone sit on a couch anymore?? We have a 1/2 ton GMC 1500 so we are limited to under 5K towing and are looking at light weight trailers. We are rated to pull 7200 but I know better than to go to heavy after many rv's.
We found a Surveyor we like pretty well a 240 ribs that has a outside kitchen and most things we want except it only has a dinette to sit at. Same with dozens of others we have seen that meet our weight restriction.
I would love to hear from folks on here how they find this arrangement to work out in the real world. I know there must be a lot of folks who have this floor plan by the number of units sold and what we see out here.
Maybe I am overthinking it. We do spend Most of our time outside but on occasion here in Oregon gotten caught in the rain,,, and wonder about being locked in with only a dinette for seating.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

Biggest problem is , that once you get down in length/weight, the manufacturers go for the basics, and that's where the dinette come in.

BTW: You'll know when you've been looking at RV's for too long , when you know what the floor plan, of an RV is, by the window placement , from across the sales lot.

Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm with you, I dislike dinettes only.

Have a peek at an Airstream 25 or 27 footer - any series, realizing the table lets down into a sofa. Might give you something to think about.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
some pics from the web

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:33 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
Look at the 264 series Surveyor. Has a couch opposite the dinette, and a pull-down TV in the cabinet over the dinette... Ours is almost 3 years old and still in fine shape. The couch in later units looks more comfortable than ours... but with a pillow or two we do fine on rainy days.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 05:22 AM   #6

Our Minnie works with the addition of a desk type chair. I usually sit in the chair, and DW can lounge on the dinette with a nice pillow. The chair tucks in by the fridge for travel.

Have you looked at the Winnebago 2101DS?
Minnie | Floorplans | Winnebago RVs

And there are some small trailers on the market with Murphy beds, which allow for a sofa.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 08:44 AM   #7

I had the same concerns regarding weight, my TV and wanting certain features such as a slide, couch and walk-around bed. I didn't have to be concerned with bunk space. I decided on the 2015 Freedom Express 246RKS which met all of my concerns about weight and had the features we wanted. With the WD hitch, it tow easier than my previous TT....a 2005 Starcraft TravelStar expandable purchased used....and certainly tows safer.

Maiden voyage is over the holiday weekend.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, yes we can spot a floorpan by outside placement of windows, vents etc. and I agree we have been looking too long!! It gets old after a while for sure, just don't want to pick badly and regret it down the road. We just got rid of a 39ft. fifth wheel, like wonderful when it was set up had everything you could imagine with four slides,,,,,BUT, I hated towing and setting that thing up!! Wonderful when parked. So this past Dec. we sold the whole package and decided to go more camper than rolling apartment.
We have had over the past 53yrs. of marriage every configuration imaginable and now know something easy to tow, easy to set up, and easy to park is what we want. Our last truck was a large diesel our new truck a small 1/2 ton, and I refuse to get caught up in the bigger is better thing again. I have set the max weight of trailer at 5000K dry UVW period. That leaves me 2200 lbs. for a safety margin and our stuff, and we load light.
The Surveyor 64 with the rear kitchen comes in pretty much right on as well as the Jayco White Hawk 24rks model. Both have good points. Cougar has a 24ft. floorpan we loved but way to heavy at 6100 UVW. We did look at Airstream and I must say I was impressed with that trailer a 20ft. Cloud, meets every thing we were looking for, but WAY out of our budgetso we had to walk away.
So we are going out today to check out the Surveyor again, also found a White Hawk with a Murphy bed that we were ready to buy it was great, until we saw the storage outside, couldn't put a pair of shoes in there!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:34 PM   #9

We have a cruiser rv signature viewfinder vs-24sd. Easy to tow, has a dinette and couch. Check it out..

VS-24SD - Cruiser RV
Old 05-22-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry M View Post
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, yes we can spot a floorpan by outside placement of windows, vents etc. and I agree we have been looking too long!! It gets old after a while for sure, just don't want to pick badly and regret it down the road. We just got rid of a 39ft. fifth wheel, like wonderful when it was set up had everything you could imagine with four slides,,,,,BUT, I hated towing and setting that thing up!! Wonderful when parked. So this past Dec. we sold the whole package and decided to go more camper than rolling apartment.
We have had over the past 53yrs. of marriage every configuration imaginable and now know something easy to tow, easy to set up, and easy to park is what we want. Our last truck was a large diesel our new truck a small 1/2 ton, and I refuse to get caught up in the bigger is better thing again. I have set the max weight of trailer at 5000K dry UVW period. That leaves me 2200 lbs. for a safety margin and our stuff, and we load light.
The Surveyor 64 with the rear kitchen comes in pretty much right on as well as the Jayco White Hawk 24rks model. Both have good points. Cougar has a 24ft. floorpan we loved but way to heavy at 6100 UVW. We did look at Airstream and I must say I was impressed with that trailer a 20ft. Cloud, meets every thing we were looking for, but WAY out of our budgetso we had to walk away.
So we are going out today to check out the Surveyor again, also found a White Hawk with a Murphy bed that we were ready to buy it was great, until we saw the storage outside, couldn't put a pair of shoes in there!
We are going to give our kids used toys not new ones!
Old 05-22-2015, 05:12 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Other than hybrid RV trailers, when your looking to stay under 5k, the couch is the first thing to be left out. Or, they give you a 54' couch which is really a love seat. Our 26' hybrid (5100 lbs wet) did have the floorplan with a 65" couch and a large pit dinette. It took us two years to find the floorplan we have now, it works for us. It just happened to be the same brand (Aerolite). Or old tt (2005) we did 380 nights over 7 seasons.

We have had two hybrids (2005 and now a 2013) In the years to come will lean towards a non-hybrid model that includes: 50+ gallon fresh water, 65"+ couch, larger shower than what we have now, a dedicated bed for my son, at least one slide, ample counter and cabinet space, under 30' / 6500 lbs, artic package, quality built. Hoping Winnebago, Nash / Arctic Fox comes up with something new.

Once I retire next year plan to do more camping in the off season.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:23 PM   #12

If you have a full sized 1/2 ton probably with the 5.3 litre engine. If so, this is my opinion that you could comfortably tow up to 6,000lbs. I say this because I towed a 5,500lb. trailer with a F-150. The truck knew the trailer was back there but handled it ok.

Maybe at 6,000lbs. You can find a trailer with both a dinette plus a couch.

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:58 AM   #13

JerryM, I'm agree SCBWR, check out Winnebago Minnie 2101 FBS; single slide w/jacknife sofa and walk around real queen bed. Ours is the predecessor to the Minnie, 2012 Sunnybrook Harmony 21FBS. Ours has a small winnebago badge near the front door. We lived every day in that trailer for 7 months as we picked up the trailer new in Ohio then rambled around the east coast, up to Maine and back to N. California via the far northern route (US 2). We tow it with our 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee-its a match made in heaven, you'll have no prob w/ you PU. Ours weighs about 5400 fully loaded (with DW souvenirs!). I just noticed that Winnebago now lists the GCWR at 7000 lbs, ours is listed at 5500 lbs. Must be due to both using 3500 lbs axles. Lots of trailer for the $.
Good luck w/ your search!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 01:39 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Well , we found the trailer we walked in looked at each other and said this is perfect. Has all we want, storage, couch, dinette, and it's 5830. With propane, 2 batteries, 5950lbs. My GCVWR is 12000 and cw loaded with fuel dog me and mrs. is 5050lbs. Makes with hitch 80lbs. a total of 11K and leaves 1000 lbs. So if we load light should be ok......I hope. The trailer is a 24sabwe Cougar.

Tags
rust