Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Frustrating Antenna problem

Brand new 2017 Keystone Outback TT. I was on my regular trip to ME for a week. First Day I setup and let the TV auto-scan....I get a number of channels all nice clean ( it should be its all digital) a day or two goes by we have a night of heavy rain and the next morning no channels. Try re-scan I get nothing or maybe 2 channels weakly. Check the booster...light is on...go up one the roof. I pull the antenna check all the connections....getting 13.4V on the Coax....Can't find anything obvious. Check all the connection I can get to all seems normal. Hooked the cable TV up shut the booster off and that works fine. I even ran a line directly from the TV to the antenna...no joy. I thought rain shorted something out but I didn't find any evidence that water got in anywhere and I have a surge suppressor on the shore power. My guess is something just failed on the antenna circuit board.

So I can try and call the dealer but I know they are just going to tell me the stations are just our of range. At Home it pulls in one channel and should pull in at least 3, I know for a fact one missing channel is on the same tower as the one that does come in. Perhaps a certain frequency rang went bad.

This is a low profile antenna and isn't' really available anywhere other than Ebay. Part of me just wants to replace the whole thing.

Any advice is appreciated. I'm pretty tech savvy and worked broadcasting operations for years so I get how this stuff should work.

This is the model I have RV Omnidirectional Antenna (CA-1500) - Continu.us

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

low elevation,
low performance.
Wet Trees . etc , reducing signal.

you may want to replace to a directional Bat-wing . or similar
. I just upgraded from a Winegard 2 to a Winegard Sensar 4.

Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #3

Two things:

That antenna is very poor, get a real one.

If you have any LED lamps, turn them off, re-scan and try it with them off.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Brand new 2017 Keystone Outback TT.
This is the model I have RV Omnidirectional Antenna (CA-1500) - Continu.us
Thanks
Offcamber
For the best possible OTA TV reception you need to swap that Omani-directional antenna with a Winegard Sensar III "batwing" antenna:
Winegard Sensar RV TV Antenna
Old 09-20-2016, 02:15 PM   #5

Our antenna will not work with the ceiling fan running.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 04:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the reply. I realize reception can be affected by many environmental factors. Just seemed really odd that one day get 10 channels and the next I get 0. The coach didn't move the weather was clear and I was in an open area near the shore.
I have emailed the manufacturer and there response was to show me the towers in the area and how far they were. Implying that anything beyond 25 miles is out of range....which is BS as most stations coverage is far beyond 25 miles.

It looks like a replacement is in order which will require major re-work of the mount since the antenna I have was low profile and has a proprietary mount.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #7

Works yesterday, heavy rain, then doesn't work today....I think that's a clue.

Since you are tech-savvy and can get on the roof of the trailer, is there any way you can open up the antenna to see if there is any water in it? And, a green light on the booster and 13.4 V on the coax doesn't mean the booster is working. Stuff happens.

See if you can get the dealer to swap in a good booster (easiest), and if that doesn't fix it a new antenna.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob46 View Post
Works yesterday, heavy rain, then doesn't work today....I think that's a clue.

Since you are tech-savvy and can get on the roof of the trailer, is there any way you can open up the antenna to see if there is any water in it? And, a green light on the booster and 13.4 V on the coax doesn't mean the booster is working. Stuff happens.

See if you can get the dealer to swap in a good booster (easiest), and if that doesn't fix it a new antenna.

Good luck!

Yup did that yesterday no evidence of water intrusion or fried circuity however it only takes one little diode or cap to fry and you can't tell by looking at it. I may try an aftermarket booster and see if that helps.

Thanks
Old 09-21-2016, 08:19 PM   #9

Loose the Omini and get a directional. I had a Jensen Ominidirectional and replaced it witha King Jack antennae because it was easy to install the base in the same place, and I didn't have clearance for a Wingard folding to fit.
Old 09-21-2016, 08:29 PM   #10

Weather can severely effect reception. Clouds actually help reception because the signal can bounce off them and back down to earth allowing a longer distance for reception. Rain interferes with the distance the signal can travel. It isn't at all unlikely that you get signals one day and not the next.

A better antenna can definitely help. Directional is the best bet.
Old 09-22-2016, 06:42 AM   #11

Did more testing....I guess the system is working as designed. Perhaps all my cable tightening improved things. Here is the odd thing. I am just barley picking up a tower that's about 20 miles away. However I know that there is a hill blocking direct line of site and I am probably picking it up off a bounce. Here is the odd one and this is whats telling me the system is working. I am picking up a tower 54 Miles away clear as bell. Obviously there are no obstruction between the antenna and the tower. Since we are just weekend campers and many campgrounds have cable I'll live with the current setup. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-22-2016, 07:19 AM   #12

You could put some of this on the antenna coax connection (Amazon or ham radio supply shop). Works well, a little messy to remove though. VHF/UHF signals require line-of-sight propagation. Will go a long way if there are no obstructions (like hills).

Old 09-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #13

Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Omni directional's are nice for easy of use but most of the time not as good as a directional antenna. I have a directional in mine and when i get to a campsite I use a free phone app called TV Antenna Helper. It finds my location then it tells me which way to point my directional antenna. So far it's worked very for me. I think you will have better luck swapping out that omni. Also make sure your amplifier is turned on.

Tags
antenna, rust