Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #1

Full suspension TT floorplan/mfg help

We currently have our 33' Motorhome up for sale(it's just too big). We travel frequently between TN and MB which is a round trip of almost 4K miles so I want a TT with full suspension....especially for the rough roads up north.

So this is what I think we want and I don't know if it's a unicorn or it actually exists:

-Total length under 28' ish
-under 8K lbs wet/loaded
-Full suspension
-one living room slide
-enclosed underbelly/heated
-use able when the slide is >IN<(we frequent rest stops)
-2 battery rack(6v's) capacity

Currently looking at the ORV Mountain series Creekside 21DBS, but I am not sure if it us accessible with the slide in.

Any other mfg/model suggestions are welcome.

One more thing, I do not like any siding bonded to Luan....so other than aluminium siding, what else is available these days?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #2

Luans behind almost every wall including the 21DBS.
Might want to look at Lance. The siding is glued to AZDEL.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:56 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you haven't yet, head over to the Outdoors RV site here on iRV2. Lots of owners there, and lots of answers. You should get plenty of answers from owners of 21DBS models.

Can't answer your ? aboot access with slides in on that model, but all of your other needs are there in ORVs. Very well built, and sturdy. We camp off road almost 80+% of the time out west and our Timber Ridge is still like new after 3-1/2 years and over 10K miles.
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 06:14 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Luans behind almost every wall including the 21DBS.
Might want to look at Lance. The siding is glued to AZDEL.
Azdel....Interesting....and that seems to be the way to go. Ironically, my aversion to Luan originated with a complete rebuild/repair on the lower wings of my Lance TC. The Filon just fell right off the Luan which had become wet then just disintegrated. Luan has no business on the exterior of.....anything....ever. While searching for a TT, I have watched several mfg build videos showing them bonding the exterior to Luan.....it makes me shudder
Old 08-18-2018, 06:19 AM   #5

Tug, so far I like the ORV's but they are heavy things.

Ok, next question, can a suspension system be added to a leaf or torsion axle TT, and if so what's the ball park cost?
Old 08-18-2018, 11:24 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
What are you inferring when you say "full suspension"??? All trailers have a suspension system. Leaf springs, torsion axles, coil springs, etc. In ORV trailers, they are leaf with shock absorbers (not many other mfgs do). Most ORV's now have a "rubberized" center equilizer (MorRyde), and greasable shackles. Not sure how much more you need in a travel trailer.

Yes, ORV's are somewhat heavy, esp versus the "1/2 ton" and "light" advertising by a lot of mfgs. They are well built, and durable. We tow in the backroads of the forests here out west most of the time, with no pieces falling off of rig!!!
2003 Excursion XLT V10 4:30 Axles
DualCam HP 450W Roof Solar/320W Portable
Tuquala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #7

This is the way i'd go: ORV | Creek Side 21RD Titanium from what I've been told some Walmarts & truck stop are not allowing over nighters to extend slide-out, if that matters too you. The optional recliners and an 80" bed is a big plus for me.
tnrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:34 PM   #8

Tuq yes, full suspension is with shocks or bags. I just know that the roads we travel on in Canada can rattle the screws(and other stuff) out of a motorhome, so having more than just leaf's make sense to me.

TN, yes looking hard at the ORV's, but don't see many east of the Mississippi. I might have to settle for something in the Winnebago line..
Old 08-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #9

Northwood line is worth a look. I have a 07' Nash 27F with an off road package. Nothing elaborate, shocks, adjustable shackles and yes all tanks heated. Frame is very stout and has been off road many times.

Nash is made with wood (traditional build) and heavy, Arctic Fox uses more aluminum. You're probably an Arctic Fox or Fox Mountain guy (lighter).

Northwood | Northwood Manufacturing
Old 08-19-2018, 12:25 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I will second the ORV or Arctic Fox as being well built trailers and good on 3rough roads. The ORV I own - a Timber Ridge 25RDS is probably bigger than you would like - you can access the bedroom, bathroom, and kitchen with the slide in. Most all of the models with two doors are fully usable with the slide in - look at the 24RLS. If you still want something smaller than go to the Creekside line - some of them do not even have slides to worry about All ORV units have shocks - the Off Road 4X option adds the MorRyde suspension system that adds heavy duty wet bolts and the CRE 3000 equalizer that adds 3" of travel to the springs, HD Shocks and on some trailers the package also adds larger wheels and tires - on my rig the package has all of the above and it added to my CCC by 2000 lbs - so I can add just over 3000 lbs to the trailer before overloading it. The MorRyde stuff can be added to any TT with leaf springs.

I have not followed their cousins over at Northwood to know the details of their suspensions - BTW both companies make their own frames in a separate facility- no Lippert frames here.

I had a TT with the torsion suspension - what a joke - it bounced down the road - and was hard to stabilize when parked.

Also ORV and AF units have lots of ground clearance - I don't worry about driveways at all - can't say that for the Lances - they are built low to the ground.

There are a few ORV and Northwood owners east of the Mississippi most have had to come to the West to purchase them - so far most have felt the trip worth it. There is are groups here on IRV for both ORV and Northwoods. There are also some private Facebook groups for both mfgs - just indicate that you are looking at ORVs and they will let you join.

Good Luck
Old 08-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #11

Travel trailer frames are nothing more than what you'd find under a utility trailer. Just different material. Most all decent built TT's have equalizers like a MR 3000 or EquaFlex.
Most any TT can have shocks added to it.
There's nothing special about ORV or NW suspension.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #12

Thanks for the info from everyone. Looks like I am all over the map and now researching Hybrids. I have decided thanks to this thread that whatever I buy will be made using Azdel siding or aluminium...no more Luan for me
Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #13

Most Lance trailers now come with a factory lift. They go down rough roads just fine. Know of 8 people who just took their trailers to Alaska this summer, and are still there with only one issue so far, a bad tire. No RV is designed to go down rough roads unless your taking it easy. They are just as solid as a ORV brand, and in some cases like the interior walls are built better than ORV. Yes, like all trailers they have downfalls like the ceiling height.
They use two layers of Azdel in the walls, PVC material on the roof, but they do still use Luan on the front curved section. It is glued to the back side of the filon. They tried using a PVC in this area but had issues with expansion and contraction, as they had different rates than the filon causing ripples.
One of their priorities is to be Luan free. I agree with you Luan is nasty stuff when it gets wet. With Azdel if you ever get delamination it is repairable and it doesn’t rot, or mold.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor, suspension