Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #1

Fulltiming

Is there anyone out there enjoying Fultiming in a travel trailer. We are planning to start the first of next year and would like to hear your thoughts.
txswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #2

I'm not a full timer, nor have I ever been. But, one of the major differences between TT and 5W is that you usually don't have as much storage room in a TT. Secondly, folks that full time like to have a fairly large trailer, and having a 5W reduces overall length.
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Hey, we met a couple that travel full time in one of those pop-up A liners. It can be done. There isn't a campground they won't fit in!
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #4

That all depends on your personality. Some people would not be happy if they didn't have at least a 3000 sqft mansion, others are perfectly happy living in a two room cabin 15 miles from the nearest road. Same for RVs.
Unfortunately I think your just going to have to make your best judgement at the time and see if it works out. Just be prepared to make a change if needed.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #5

Go to an RV store and spend some time in different models. Take note of the differences between the models and decide what fits for you. Don't just walk in and out of them, spend time exploring the nooks and moving every movable option to see how things clear other objects and how doors swing in and out.
My only complaint about my TT is lack of space for 2 at the front bed/vanity/bathroom door area.
Go in together and move about the inside like you were living in it, because you will be if you choose that particular model.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #6

We had many debates about TT vs 5th wheel. Decided on the fifth wheel because of 1) head room and 2) storage space. If you aren't an amazon like me and don't need lots of headroom, and don't need tons of storage space, Im sure a TT would work just fine! Is it four season/insulated/heated bottom?
scrappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #7

We're on our third year of full-timing in a 30 ft TT. It's a great floor plan (AF 30U) with the rear living space and large back window which my wife loves. Having said that we are planning on a switch to a Class A next year. I am getting very tired of the whole hitching/ unhitching, leveling process. I get envious of those Class A's that pull in, push a few buttons and are done with it. A smaller towed vehicle will also make it easier to sightsee in and be easier for my wife to drive around. She/ I also don't feel comfortable with her driving our present rig. We haven't given up on the idea on a fifth wheel yet, but I'm leaning towards the DP.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:35 PM   #8

Full Timing

In June of 2012 my wife and I decided to sell everything and go full timing in August. At first it was very hard getting used to. No yard to let the dogs run around, a small refrigerator, no washer and dryer and most of all a much smaller space to live in. But on the other hand, we go where we want, when we want and if we don't like where we are, we just hook up and go.

It took a while to get our rhythm down but we have settled in and really enjoy it. We have learned a lot along the way and met a lot of nice people that still are our friends today.
ezspdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
As many others have said, it really depends on you, and your needs. Here is why we have used the same travel trailer for the past seven years:

1. We wanted the bed of the truck open. With a cap this provides much more storage than the average 5th wheel.

2. No stairs inside-Everything on the same floor.

3. Initial costs

4. With the proper truck and a good hitch, it tows equally well.

5. Overall size and height allows more flexibility in state and federal parks, where the campsites are older, and often smaller.

This is why WE have a TT. You must balance the projected use and needs and then choose for yourself.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote