Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2012, 03:18 PM   #1

furnace without hookups

I'm looking to by a late model TT and I have a question. Can you use the propane furance furnace without electric hookup? Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, the propane furnace works on 12 v provided by your batteries. If the batteries are fully charged, they should easily last through the night if you don't have a lot of other things also consuming the batteries at the same time. This is assuming you have at least two 12 v or 2 6 v in series fully charged batteries to start with. You'll have to have a generator or run the Tow Vehicle to recharge the batteries the next day.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

In real life you can kill a single battery over night. So depending. On how you camp you might want to search out the 12 volt side of lfe on the internet and read up.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #4

The good news: Most RV propane heaters have a larger capacity in BTUs per square foot than the average home, This means a faster recovery time when you set back the thermostat at night and raise it in the morning. I usually set the temp to 55 degrees when I go to bed, then raise it to 70 in the AM. Saves propane and battery capacity.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #5

as was said, the furnace is propane and is lit by the 12v battery. the fan also runs off the battery. there's no need for electric hookups to do this.

but the furnace is the biggest drain on the battery, in your TT.
if it's on all nite, expect the battery to be close to dead, unless you have two batteries.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:26 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A good down comforter will keep you toasty in bed while allowing the thermostat to be set lower.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
You can consider purchasing a ventless propane heater that does not require a fan and no battery use. They sell them for RVs. The catch is that you want to keep a window cracked to assure oxygen and CO2 levels are at safe levels. I know a couple of folks that have them.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
On the road, we don't do campgrounds so no hook ups. Our last outing was the first week of Nov. and the furnace was required all night, and it was very cold outside, cool (about 70F) but comfortable enough for sleeping inside. Was lots of battery left so we upped the temperature to warm for washing and breakfast. So determine the size of your rig and how much heat you need (will determine how many house batteries you need). We have 2, 6 volt US 2200's (that's all I can get into it without more modifications which we don't need) and the MH is 8ft by 24 ft overall the batteries are going on 7 years old but well maintained. The suggestion of sleeping bags is a good one (don't leave home without them). Ensure the battery is at or near full charge before bed time if it's close to freezing temperatures. Get to know the limits of your rig, stay within the limits and you'll be fine.
Cheers
Willey
WilleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:31 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
The catch is that you want to keep a window cracked to assure oxygen and CO2 levels are at safe levels.
Good sales pitch. Crack a window or you will die. I will go get one of those heaters tomorrow
Old 11-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Good sales pitch. Crack a window or you will die. I will go get one of those heaters tomorrow
I thought the same thing, replace your furnace that safely operates and exhausts outside the RV and use a portable device that competes for the same oxygen I need. Better sleep with the window cracked and one eye open, too. Perhaps a hand on the fire extinguisher and an ear on the CO alarm.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:14 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
My wife and I have a small electric heater that we use when we are hooked up to Elect. and we use it when it's a little cool inside and it has a timer on it so you can set it to say go off around 10:00 P,M. and come back on around say 5 oclock in the morning.
That way we use the park elect. and save our propain.
Now if we are dry camping well then we us the propain.
Another thing we keep a down cover something like a sleeping bag under the bed to use when the weather get a little cooler in the middle of the night.
We stay in bed until the heater heats up the R.V. a little.
Just a thought.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:19 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
While boondocking we turn the furnace off at bedtime and back on in the morning. Have to keep the comforter up over your head especially when it drops into the 30s inside. Our batteries love this plan.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:02 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Folks - I'm not talking about the portable heaters. http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/r...ess-heater.htm. Yet there are still safety considerations, which is why it was mentioned. Used properly, they are safe. Hence why one shouldn't suggest them without warnings.

A defective, uninspected RV furnace that vents to the outside and happens to have pinholes in the chamber can kill, too. Do all of us 100% follow the annual professional inspection recommendations? Hmm...

Ok, now let the smart alec comments fly. That's what makes the forum fun.
wanderso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderso View Post
You can consider purchasing a ventless propane heater that does not require a fan and no battery use. They sell them for RVs. The catch is that you want to keep a window cracked to assure oxygen and CO2 levels are at safe levels. I know a couple of folks that have them.
There are two types of ventless propane heaters. They are blue flame (convection heat) and catalytic (radiant heat). Not only do they not use electricity, but they use less propane per BTU than a vented furnace. Many models have a built in oxygen sensor that shuts them down in event of a problem. One difficulty, is that they will always shut down at altitudes over about 7,000 ft.

I have an Olympian Wave 3 (3,000 BTU without sensor) mounted on the wall in the bedroom. It keeps us warm at night, but is not big enough to warm the entire 5er.

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace