Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2010, 02:52 PM   #1

Gas or Propane?

I'm needing to rent a portable generator for this weekend (Aug. 7th) and was wondering which do you all think will be better. A gas powered generator or a propane powered generator? Also, what all will a 3000 watt generator power besides my 13,500 BTU A/C (@ the same time)? I was thinking maybe going propane because I'm already carrying around the fuel in my two 20lbs. tanks.
StarGazer-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #2

Propane generator will consume more fuel per hour than a gas generator. Get the gas one. A 3KW generator will run your AC unit and that is about it. Do not try running the microwave and AC at the same time. Think brown out. Water heater gas only, same for the refer.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Propane generator will consume more fuel per hour than a gas generator. Get the gas one. A 3KW generator will run your AC unit and that is about it. Do not try running the microwave and AC at the same time. Think brown out. Water heater gas only, same for the refer.

and X 2

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #4

We have a propane generator and love it. It stays in the pickup and we just hook up to our TT propane tank and plug it in, no gas cans to worry about.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:09 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I guess it depends which generator you rent and how long you intend to run it. I wouldn't be surprised to see fuel consumption rates of 1 to 1.25 lbs/hour on a propane-fueled generator running near full load.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #6

So if I want to run lights and the A/C, will I need a higher watt generator? BTW I'm just using this generator one night. My astronomy club (T.A.S. of Dallas) is having a picnic up near Atoka, Ok. this Sat.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer-1 View Post
So if I want to run lights and the A/C, will I need a higher watt generator? BTW I'm just using this generator one night. My astronomy club (T.A.S. of Dallas) is having a picnic up near Atoka, Ok. this Sat.
If that's all you're going to use you'll be OK.
lostagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #8

Thanks
Old 08-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostagain View Post
If that's all you're going to use you'll be OK.
Lights are all 12VDC. So plugging in to the shore power cord will automatically charge the batteries. Just be sure the Refer and water heater are set to gas only.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:00 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Now me, I'd go for a somewhat larger generator and I'd select gasoline. The larger generator simply because someone will somehow add something to the system or at worst the A/C when hot will need more starting power. I wouldn't think there would be much difference in the rental charge for a 4K and you'll really be irritated if the 3K doesn't do what you expect it to. I'd also select gasoline for the simple reason it is probably easier if you run out of fuel to refill a gas can than to find a place to fill a propane tank.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #11
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGazer-1 View Post
Several years ago I bought a 3K Honda. One thing that I wanted was one that would run the AC +. The dealer couldn't answer my question but said if I bought it and tried it over the weekend and wasn't satified to bring it back on Mon. and I could upgrade to the 5.5K. with no penalty. When I tried it I turned on the AC. No problem. I went to the kitchen and turned on the toaster. No problem. Then I turned on the microwave. No problem. I turned on the water heater. Then generator started to growl and complain. I was satified. Now I DIDN'T do that in the reverse order or wait for the AC to recycle. I'm sure that would not work. Since, even with AC on we went about business as usual but didn't turn on big things like the water heater.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote