Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2016, 01:25 PM   #1

Gawd awfull noise on slow turns

OMG!! What da hay is that noise!!

Have about 200 miles on new 29' TT with Equilizer 4 point sway/weight distribution system.

Noise just started last 50 miles. Just when making slow turns it sounds like the brakes on all four wheels just got packed with rocks or something. Terrible scraping sounds coming from back there somewhere. Can't find anything wrong. Brakes are in good shape. Deep, hard scraping sounds. Gets peoples attention I'll tell ya!
harleydu0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2016, 01:27 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydu0 View Post
OMG!! What da hay is that noise!!

Have about 200 miles on new 29' TT with Equilizer 4 point sway/weight distribution system.

Noise just started last 50 miles. Just when making slow turns it sounds like the brakes on all four wheels just got packed with rocks or something. Terrible scraping sounds coming from back there somewhere. Can't find anything wrong. Brakes are in good shape. Deep, hard scraping sounds. Gets peoples attention I'll tell ya!
Completely normal. This is the sound of your sway control/weight distribution bars working. It is the friction of steel on steel where they rest on the angle brackets on the tongue of your trailer. Don't lube it or you basically kill the sway control properties. Be sure you do lube the connections at the hitch though, the points where the bars swing in and out.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagmandt View Post
Completely normal. This is the sound of your sway control/weight distribution bars working. It is the friction of steel on steel where they rest on the angle brackets on the tongue of your trailer. Don't lube it or you basically kill the sway control properties. Be sure you do lube the connections at the hitch though, the points where the bars swing in and out.
Thanks dagmandt, couldn't imagine this being normal. So, kinda confused about where to lube.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:40 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Read the manual. If you didn't get one from the folks that sold you the hitch, one can be downloaded form the Equal-I-Zer website. You'll need a small tube of white grease. Don't use a lot, just a little, when the noise starts to bother you.

I have the same hitch, and it can ride nice *and* be quiet. Just needs a little grease in the right place.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:30 PM   #5

First time I pulled away with our camper I thought for sure there was some kind of disaster. I thought my wife and daughters were going to jump out of the truck. Nope. Just my Equalizer working as it should. You'll get used to it. I lubed the attachment points at my TV end (next to the ball).
skiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 03:50 PM   #6

If you are just on back roads u can leave it off or loosen it if I'm going some where local I won't even put it on and as soon as I pull into a campground I jump out and loosen it so nobody has to hear it
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:28 PM   #7

That noise is absolutely normal and is discussed in the owner's manual. A little grease on the swing arm brackets on the hitch will reduce it some. Mine does the same thing and I thought I was twisting the trailer in two the first time I heard it.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:43 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
sway bracket jackets

Hi there,

Equalizer sells a set of hard plastic parts that fit under the bars - they greatly reduce the noise and don't cost a whole lot - check out their website...

I love my equalizer - but it was kind of tough when pulling into or out of campground early in AM or after dark....

Happy travels!

Kathy G:
KKTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:15 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I live on a corner and just yesterday a neighbor with a travel trailer went around the corner and his rig did the bang clank clunk noise and I had to laugh because mine had done the same thing all the time I owned it.

So yeah, it is normal.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 04:02 AM   #10

Totally normal.. As stated, lube the point where the bar sockets swivel in the hitch head. YOu can also get the "Bracket Jackets" they are called (plastic sleeves that go over the brackers where the bars sit).

I like to shoot alittle WD40 on the brackets before I put the bars on. This is enough to stop the noise and it has not affected sway control noticeably.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Read the manual. If you didn't get one from the folks that sold you the hitch, one can be downloaded form the Equal-I-Zer website. You'll need a small tube of white grease. Don't use a lot, just a little, when the noise starts to bother you.

I have the same hitch, and it can ride nice *and* be quiet. Just needs a little grease in the right place.

Thanks 1bigmess.
Downloaded owners manual. Step 10, page 23. Think I'm good to go.
I'd say they're proud of that high performance lube @ $9.99 a 4oz tube.

Thanks everybody for your inputs.
Old 03-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #12

As already stated, clean and lube where the bar sockets meet hitch head. Mine was horrendous until I cleaned and added a little grease. I also added the pads to the L brackets. Nice and quiet now.
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydu0 View Post
I'd say they're proud of that high performance lube @ $9.99 a 4oz tube.
White grease from Walmart is still grease.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:06 AM   #14

I found out the hard way that if it squeals badly at low speed it's probably over adjusted. I had this once, and dealt with it until I noticed that metal was being removed! Yes, it was greased. So I added a washer to the head pivot and dropped the L-brackets one notch, and all has been well. Just the usually pops from then on out.

So it is possible to over adjust the equalizer. Be wary of metal shavings where the bars pivot.
MagnaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noise