Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

Generator for air cond.

I have the use of a 3500w generator. Google info was confusing and I prefer
to ask people who use this system. I plan to carry the generator in the truck
box and only use it to power air conditioner as it is fairly noisy. Have been
told the current produced can sometimes be erratic. I figure to use a surge protector plug. The ac unit is 8000 btu and draws about 1000 watts and about
6.5 amps. Any thoughts about my proposed plan would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 10:48 AM   #2

In general terms, not knowing exactly what make/model generator we are talking about, I would say it should do the job. If your AC only draws 1000W, the generator is only 1/3 loaded.
How do you know the output is erratic? Have you run it and checked the voltage and Hz under no load and loaded to see what it is capable of?

Old 03-08-2016, 02:16 PM   #3

That could well be enough power to run the entire trailer at one time. The inverter generators are better at supplying a more consistent sine wave than the open frame units, however, that is not nearly as important with an AC unit as it is with consumer electronics. You should have no problem, other than possibly annoying the neighbors with the generator noise.
RichH
Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 PM   #4

Agreed. My 3500w gen will just barely start my 15kbtu Ac so 8k btu should be a walk in the park. Recommend you mind the park quiet hours and your neighbors. (I suspect they will be running theirs too).
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallance View Post
I have the use of a 3500w generator. Google info was confusing and I prefer
to ask people who use this system. I plan to carry the generator in the truck
box and only use it to power air conditioner as it is fairly noisy. Have been
told the current produced can sometimes be erratic. I figure to use a surge protector plug. The ac unit is 8000 btu and draws about 1000 watts and about
6.5 amps. Any thoughts about my proposed plan would be appreciated.
A surge protector won't do anything to remove electrical noise. No need for it, just plug the trailer into the generator.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:47 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
OK - pay attention now you may make a big mistake:
Don't just look at rated (running/peak) watts. You need to look at the circuit overload protection on the plug.

I've got a 5500 watt generator that has 21 amp circuit breakers on the 240V plug. So when you convert that down to 120v, you get 2520 watts out of the thing peak.

The champion 3500 generator has a 27 amp circuit breaker on the 120V plug. This (smaller) generator provides more usable power.

These things are NOT obvious and you may need to look at the parts diagram to determine what the ratings of the circuit breaker are.

In general, you're looking for a 3500 watt or better generator set up for your RVs 30A plug... Down-converting a 50A plug may not get you what you need.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:23 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you and neighbors will get annoyed by the noise very quickly. I suggest to buy a quieter inverter generator.

I have Champion 3100 inverter that will power one AC unit on our Phaeton. Pretty quiet, especially with low load and economy mode in use. Quieter than the 10kw Onan on the Phaeton. Well built and starts easily. There is also an remote electric start version available. I paid $699 for pull start model landed to my door from Costco last year. There are commercial and DIY extended run kits available as well.

Another option is two ~2000w units that can be paralleled together. Champion and several others make these type of units.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:04 AM   #8

Thanks for hints and suggestions-I'm going to re-think this whole generator idea.

Tags
generator