RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #1

Generator for TT. How many of you have one?

Even if you don't boon dock do you still have a generator in case of emergencies? I am planning on full timing, not doing any boon docking, but wondering if a generator would be necessary in case of an emergency. I assume that if you do have one it would be kept in the back of the truck.

rollindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2019, 08:51 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
If I were full timing I would for sure have one for juice in a pinch if my area lost power a lot...but I get hot really quick and I'm in Virginia. If the areas you are in do not loose power a lot, and the generator isnt used...you would have one more thing to worry about upkeep on. What about solar and inverter with a larger battery bank?

Old 08-03-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I carry a 3KW Honda with me on my vacations unless I am going to a full hook up park. The Honda is super reliable, quiet and easy to maintain. It's for the AC if needed. No solar panels and batteries will run the AC as easily as a good generator. .
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:57 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a small 1000 watt one that I bought on Amazon for $200 delivered that I plug my dogbone connector into. It mimics park power and runs everything except the AC or microwave. About the size of a bowling ball bag and only 18 pounds. runs 5 hours on a pint of gas, very quiet. Excellent insurance.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
We picked up a Champion 2000 watt with our previous trailer so that we'd have power when traveling longer distances to run the A/C at rest areas, etc. With our new ORV and the larger A/C unit we've added a Micro-Air EasyStart to the A/C so that we can still use the Champion to run the A/C while traveling. We are planning to add some solar to the new trailer but even so, we'll still bring the Champion along for added insurance as you never know what you'll run into along the way.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #6

Have 2 Honda 2000i's, and they go on every trip......never know when you'll need them....and carry in truck along with an extended stay tank.....
Old 08-04-2019, 12:50 AM   #7

The only one that is really small is the 1000 watt units but they can't do much more than charge up your batteries. They are neat little units though. Others can correct me if I'm wrong but truly useful generators that will power up your AC or microwave - basically mimicking shore power - begin at 2000 watts. Then when you go above 2000 watts they get big and heavy. I remember my brother had one in the basement of his 5th wheel unit and it was so heavy that it never moved out of that spot. It was sold with the trailer. Personally I think that the combination of solar chargers and a couple of rechargeable Coleman lanterns is plenty. Of course I don't need air conditioning so that impacts my opinion. Fact the cheaper your generator (no name brands from China) the louder it will be. Honda and Yamaha are quiet, but they cost more than the others.
Glen 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:00 AM   #8

Cool Yes, but No

So my story is a bit different. Yes, I carry a 1000 watt 10 year old Honda. I had two $200.00 800 watt generators before, that each lasted about 4 hours. I thought I would need the generator. It will run for 5 hours and substantially recharge our batteries. It will not provide the full 14 hour charge cycle lead/acid batteries require periodically.

After 5 years of not needing it the generator would only run for an hour and could not suck gas below the top 15% of the gas tank. I took carburetor and fuel system apart and cleaned out the oxidized gas particles. That fixed it. A lot of work, a lot of money and never needed it.

Now the fuel system is dry and I carry an empty 1 gallon gas can. Hopefully no more maintenance. Two 100 amp hour AGM batteries provide enough power for a week of camping in the Wisconsin summer. I run out of waste tank storage space before running out of power.

On longer trips we stop at a campground with electric hookups for one or two nights. Good for another week. And good for the needed full charge to maintain long term battery life.

Of course we no longer boondock. We now have mobility issues. We do dry camp a lot. What you do matters a lot as to what is most efficient. We think about solar. It is a lot cheaper than it was 10 years ago. But, like the generator, we don't really need it.

The Prepper in me says solar would be great in an emergency breakdown of social order.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:20 AM   #9

I've had a Honda 2000W gen for close to 9 years. I don't full time but dry camp about 50% of the time. I used it most every trip but only on occasion. We're not ones to fire it up at 7:30 to make coffee. We use our french press for that.
I don't feel it's a gotta have item but more of a convenience. If I were full timing I'd invest in good batteries and an inverter. At least 2000 watts. That would allow you to run everything except the AC.
I gather from the OP's post that they don't dry camp. If they did dry camp they'd already have a gen. I've only been RV'ing for 10 seasons and have never needed a gen while staying a W/E or FH sites. Losing power just has never happened.
I've actually lost power at home several times and fired up the the gen when we did.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We travel with a HF 3500W generator. Summer often finds us in the warmer parts of the west and my DW like it COOL! Actually cool is an understatement-you could hang meat in our camper when she is happy. If we boondock, then the genny is a must. We carry it on a rack on the rear end of the trailer, and it has ridden therefor many miles.
Old 08-04-2019, 06:55 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
We carry a Honda EU3000is generator on the back of our trailer. We don't sit in RV parks a lot. We enjoy trips with our truck and trailer, overnighting along the way wherever. The solar panels and of course the power connection from the truck pretty much keep the batteries up. If we want to use the microwave or need a quick charge up on the batteries after a long night of CPAP and furnace use, or want to run the air conditioner, we simply turn the key on the generator.

Life is good.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
I just made a slide out tray for my predator 3500 Now I can just slide it out to use it
Intothewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:33 PM   #13

I run a Yamaha EF2000iSv2. It has a little over 3,000 hrs since I bought it new in the winter of 2017.

If your plan is to use it seldomly (emergencies), be sure to prevent ethanol based fuel issues if you use ethanol based fuel.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #14

We have a 3500 Watt Inverter Generator we keep in the back of the truck.

If we're traveling and pull into a rest area when it's hot, it takes all of 2 minutes to start it up and plug it in for the AC.

We've also used it when boondocking.

Over the last year we've used it well in excess of 500 hours and it works very well.

I do keep it well maintained.

Oh, it is under our soft bed cover when not in use, and is cable locked in the back of the truck.

KM Rolling is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator