Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #1

generator option??

What brands of TT's come with the option of a generator? We will be moving from a smaller class A to a TT or 5th wheel in the next year or so... We went looking at trailers yesterday and didn't see any with a generator. We don't "boondock", but the genny has saved our rear end more than once, so it's a 'must have' ... Don't mind adding our own, as long as it is pre-wired for it. Looking now at 30' or less.. 1-2 slides so we have room with 2 Great Danes... Thanks !
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
When we were moving up from our tent trailer to a conventional trailer a few years back a generator was on my wish list. After researching long and hard I was only able to come up with one manufacture that offered a built in generator and that was Northwood/Arctic Fox/Nash. So I special ordered a 2004 Arctic Fox 22H with the generator ready option. After I purchased the trailer I was in a campground and I met a couple that had an Arctic Fox with a generator in it, while talking with them they lead me to believe its not a great idea. He told me that his is ran off the LP system and it goes through propane like crazy. He also said it is very noisy and if he was to do it again he would do a portable generator. He even took me inside and ran it and sure enough it was noisy. Just some food for thoughts. Check out Northwood and see what they have to offer. Good Luck
Old 05-28-2014, 05:51 AM   #3

Thankyou Very much !!! Gosh I never thought about the fuel problem... I have a 4K B&S genny we use here at home for emergencies so I guess I could carry it in the back of the pickup . I'd need to figure a way to hook up the 30 amp cord though... Thanks again, you've helped a Lot !!! Monkey
Old 05-29-2014, 09:40 PM   #4

Be courteous to your camping neighbors, if your going to run a portable genny, at least make it an inverter generator. I use an eu1000 to charge batteries every 4-5 days and run the blender on occasions.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Agree with Marcham, at least invest in a quiet portable such as a Yamaha or Honda generator. Your fellow camper will appreciate it.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 04:32 AM   #6

The only times we have used the genny is during a freak ice storm in OK, power went out at the KOA... That and staying at her Moms house which is fairly secluded. I always try to be courteous to others.....
Monkey
Old 05-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #7

Propane gens are very thirsty--I can go thru a 40#bottle running the AC in about 10 hrs--altho mine is the Onan 5.5 builtin. TTs usually have no place for a gen unless tied onto the rear bumper. Suggestions for the 2000 Honda are good, and can be paired to another for 4K output.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Propane gens are very thirsty--I can go thru a 40#bottle running the AC in about 10 hrs--altho mine is the Onan 5.5 builtin. TTs usually have no place for a gen unless tied onto the rear bumper. Suggestions for the 2000 Honda are good, and can be paired to another for 4K output.
Joe
Thanks Joe. I am leaning towards a new Honda genny, mainly due to them being quiet. I'm just sold on having a genny as backup. There was a time we ate lunch at a resturant in Phoenix during the summer with a friend, left the genny going and the AC for the kids (dogs).. Of course I still went out every 10-15 minutes to check on them... It was hot,, and they are our babies... If we stop and eat in, we would leave them in the trailer,,, having the AC going is a must !! Thanks again,
Monkey
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #9

Certainly understand the dog thing--we have 2 Yorkies. We also put them in the trailer if we eat out while traveling, and have found the trailer to be quite cool enough for about an hour no matter what the temp outside. Phoenix would certainly demand more care in the summer.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator