RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2018, 07:10 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I considered the Champions and other brands but the big box stores that sold them didn't service them and with no local shops around to service them I went with the Yamaha. If the store doesn't service what they sell I stay away from them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #16

Briggs & Stratton & quiet are not words normally found in the same sentence.

Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
I considered the Champions and other brands but the big box stores that sold them didn't service them and with no local shops around to service them I went with the Yamaha. If the store doesn't service what they sell I stay away from them.
Yeah, I have stayed with a pair of Yamaha EF2000's for many years and probably will stick to that when time comes to replace them. I have seriously considered the Champions, but kind of balk for the same reason you mentioned. A local John Deere equipment dealer near me also is a Yamaha and Honda gen set dealer. They work on what they sell. I haven't bought from them, as I can get better purchase pricing online, but they have no problem with that. I have taken my Yamaha's in and they had no problem working on them. They made money either way... sales or shop. Of course, they probably would like to make it both ways, but they are not idiots like some RV/TT dealers are.

While a pair of Honda or Yamaha 2000's can be a little more pricey, they do have a very solid reputation for longevity and reliability. And when one doesn't need all that power, just fire up one of them. And for those of us getting up there in years, moving around a could of small gen sets can be much more pleasurable experience than moving around over 100 lb of generator.
Cowpie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I use a Honda EU2000i instead of my onboard Generac when I can. I installed a 'Microair' easy start unit on my AC (13,500) and it will run it just fine. Honda isn't making the EU2000 any more, as they just came out with the EU2200. I plan to sell my 2000 and get a 2200 as it will get me a little more power. And (as said) they do have a very solid reputation for longevity and reliability.

Although I am solidly in the Honda camp, I read about the new Westinghouse iGen2500s that sound promising. $650 as compared to $999. If the price of a Honda or Yamaha is prohibitive, you might want to try the Westinghouse.
I have owned several Honda 2000s over the last 18 years and they work flawlessly, and saved us $$$$ on gas.
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 AM   #19

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triangle Drifter View Post
Briggs & Stratton & quiet are not words normally found in the same sentence.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:33 AM   #20

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I finally made up my mind. Got the Champion 4750 for night to run the AC and the Champion 2000 for day time for crock pots , frig and charging battery. And of course tv for NASCAR. Thanks again everyone.
Chappy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #21

I hooked my champion 4000 on my camper today and it ran both icebox and the 15000 but ac at the same time no problems.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 11:46 AM   #22

Carolina Campers
Buy an inverter type generator. Other generators will destroy electronics.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #23

Other generators, like the ones that come installed in most Motor Homes and many trailers ?

Any generator spinning an armature is creating a sine wave. Some have better RPM control but still sine wave.

Inverter generators electronicly create a sine wave by making 3 pole AC, converting it to DC and then inverting it to 120 volt AC.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator