Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #15

AT 132# I don't think I will be looking at a Kipor 3000 for portable use(camping). My 3600 Boiley weighs 82#-wet.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #16

Soft Start Solution

Had my unused Kipor 3000 not been thrown into the used TT deal @ n/c, I likely would not have bought one either; positive Reviews aside. I used to roll around all sorts of Pro Sound Equipment, so the OEM Wheels I just put on, and a lil 'smarts' will make it all manageable.

The Testimonials that 'this or that' Genny won't run an untweaked A/C unit are pretty predictable and true, of course. See the item linked below - there's several sources for them on the Amazon Webpage [some include a Relay] - and they work. Different sizes of them are also used by HVAC Pros on some Home A/C units. See discussion Threads, if interested, by Googling in key words.

Bottom line: my 13,500 A/C w/OEM Soft Start doesn't even trip a 15 Amp Breaker in my TT. Therefore, it draws less than 1,800 Watts after soft start-up. Them's the facts. I like measurements vs. Barber Shop guesses. So, run your A/C and measure amperage drawn with a 'Kill-A-Watt' Meter, or something similar, to deal with hard facts. This would answer the original Thread question, and prevent you from 'over-' or 'under-buying' a Genny.

See also the glowing Review, from an actual User, of how this solution works:

RV A/C Soft Start Capacitor

'I installed the softstart (capacitor) on my Trailer RV with a 13,500 BTU airconditioner. I immediately could notice the extra starting boost the compressor had. I needed to dry camp and planned to use a Yamaha 2400HC generator. The generator ran flawlessly in 95 degree heat for the 5 days of camping.

The softstart unit fit in the cover next to the original common starting capacitor for the air conditioner compressor and fan. I used the schematic attached to the air conditioner starting capacitor cover to identify which two of three connectors to use. You don't have to be a good schematic read, simply follow the the lines from the compressor to the capacitor and read the color of the wire on the schematic lines. You want to plug the softstart two wires to the compressor starting capacitor.

With the smaller and quiet Yamaha generator, could use the air conditioner when I needed a rest from driving. I simply left the generator in the bed of my truck and connected a #12/3 Conductor 20 foot extention cord'.

In the next Review down the Amazon Webpage, the User wound up with a more-sophisticated solution from Dometic; the first Soft Start Kit I found last night in a quick on-line Search. That solution worked on a 16,5000 BTU, and allowed it to run off a Honda eu2000i in Eco Mode no less! This A/C is ~22% larger than the 13,500 BTU under discussion, and it still works.

Old 07-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #17

We have a Onan 6.5 NH that will run everything in our unit but there's NO sleeping with it running!! It's kind of loud and vibrates the whole M/H. They located it right under my bed in the back of the RV to run the back A/C. We have shore power since the RV was mainly purchased to be a cabin that could be driven off of our River property during floods. We plan to add an extra power cord to run the rear A/C and are thinking of using the generator as a back-up at the house and re-installing it for trips.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 AM   #18

Dometic did a nice writeup on exactly this subject: Honda eu2000i and air conditioning - Page 3 - SailNet Community
Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #19

Good info!! Thank you for that!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One AC might work with a Honda 2000, more likely with a Yamaha 2400 (Both inverter types) WIll work with 3000 or more or a pair of Honda (only) 2000s.

Two A/C go with 5000

Three 7, 000
Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #21

this is chance I would not take

Quote:
Originally Posted by menoble View Post
Dometic did a nice writeup on exactly this subject: Honda eu2000i and air conditioning - Page 3 - SailNet Community
I have been told about this before and also told a great way to shorten the life of the air unit (low Voltage) just what I was told I have a 3000 big red so I am ok You take it or leave it great way to make Your day buying a new air unit Yes No ????? low voltage frys a lot of trailer fridges also.Bushman
Old 07-16-2011, 10:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512003 View Post
3000is Honda all the way buy one you are done and cool also so do not buy junk! mine is a 2003 and same battery 8years the only thing I do is change the Oil twice a year run sintex 10-30 so ...get a Honda big red yes... to heavy to steal...a cool idea is a rear mount on the trailer as I made for My Red and a coustom elect. cable just long enought to reach the trailer and coustom lock I can run the air as I drive down the road to pre.cool the unit or heat it with elect heaters before stopping for a rest in the winter driveing south...I also have a heavy home made cover made of decora a canvas like cloth...Bushman...want to see a few pic? if so ask and I will post them....
I would like to see pics please.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffinsalida View Post
I would like to see pics please.
try to put on but not sure how to do. please send a e-mail and will answer back with pictures
Old 07-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #24

Jeff here e-mail bushman512000@yahoo.ca
Old 07-16-2011, 08:44 PM   #25

We have a a 26.9 Keystone TT and we have the Honda eu2000i, it will run the AC, it won't run much else though with the AC on. The Microwave will trip the overload on the Honda. If you're going the run the AC alot I would go with a bigger unit, or two Honda's with the parallel kit.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The beauty of the 2 Honda EU2000i generators is you can use only one if you don't need the capacity and they only weigh about 50# each.

Ken
Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman512003 View Post
I have been told about this before and also told a great way to shorten the life of the air unit (low Voltage) just what I was told I have a 3000 big red so I am ok You take it or leave it great way to make Your day buying a new air unit Yes No ????? low voltage frys a lot of trailer fridges also.Bushman
Yes, you are correct, low voltage will eventually fry your electrics. Brownouts are much worse than total blackouts. It's also why I went with parallel 2000s for a total of 4000 (3,200 continuous) watts at full speed. I'm just trying to find a way to integrate the Honda's Economy mode into my scenario, looks like a smart start system will do what I want, for less than a new A/C unit would cost me if I toast this one. Just need to find the right one for my unit.
That being said, if these smart start boxes can reduce an electric motor's starting inrush surge by 65%, wouldn't that conserve more juice from the grid than these squiggly light bulbs I have to use now?
Old 07-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #28

big red

pic of big red
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	12176   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	109.2 KB