Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-05-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
generator, what size??

Thinking about purchasing a generator. what size would i need to run my a/c? i have a 2006 springdale, 26 ' bumper pull. A/C is typical size and ducted.

made2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
You may be able to run on one Honda 2000. We did it on our previous TT, BUT we had to turn everything else off, including the converter. We couldn't even run a small fan. So yes it can be done but a pair of 2000s would give you almost the same power as a 30 amp hook-up, so you could run the AC and a majority of other items.

2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:08 PM   #3
3,000 watts
tvman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You really need 3000 watts or 3kW minimum. The pair of Honda EU2000i with parallel kit work well and a pretty much sip the fuel. Check Wise Equipment for a super price on the pair.
Honda Super Quiet EU2000i and EU2000i Companion Portable RV Generator

If you want just one 3kW generator, the Honda EU3000i is good, but weighs more in a single lift. The pair of 2kW generators weigh about 50# each which is manageable.

You can also get a 6 gallon external extended run tank.

A lot of RVers will go with the cheaper Kipor, but service and dealers are harder to find.

Most of all, do not buy the cheaper contractor model if you value you fellow campers. For each 3 dBa increase in sound level, the sound power is doubled. So a 9dBa increase in sound is 8 times the sound power level.

I use my Honda EU 2000i generators for my amateur radios as well as the RV.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #5

I always go a bit larger on a generator then you think you need.. The smallest I would go with is a Honda 3000. That way you can watch your movie with the AC and pop the popcorn... maybe.
-Paul R. Haller-
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
I have had good service from my Boliy generator
. When you read the specs, it bests a Honda 3000 in all categories, at 2/3 the cost. If you use the search feature here you will locate past threads with comments and thoughts about this light-weight(for the size) generator. Mine powers our 15.5 BTU heat pump with power to spare.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
My wife's grooming van has an 8500. It will pull the roof AC on high (a 15,000 btu), the industrial canine hair dryer, lights and vacuum cleaner, all at the same time. If you want to live in the trailer without blowing breakers you're gonna need 4000 watts or more. The problem with that is that most generators in that range are contractor grade generators and are loud. You're neighbors wont put up with it.

Honda makes very nice generators, as does Yamaha. They are expensive. The 2000 will just barely pull the AC. A 3000 will pull the AC, lights, etc.. But, add one more thing and you're gonna pop a breaker on the generator. That's why, other than on some camper vans, the minimum generator size you will find is 4000. And, it's a good quality like Onan that will pull the full 4000 watts (4kw). Two 2000s linked together will do the trick. The price isn't horrible. You can link two of them together for around 2000 bucks.

I wish that more companies made and sold quiet generators.

I was up in Cherokee a couple of years ago and I saw a travel trailer that a guy had mounted a generator to the tongue, over the LP tanks. It was a cheap contractor grade generator. Actually, I see this fairly regularly. But, you can't really get by with that in a campground. Those cheaper generators are just too loud. They make good power, but they are loud.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
I finally got around to firing up the unused Kipor 3000, 'true' Sine Wave Genny that was 'thrown in' with the lil used TT I bought earlier this year. VERY quiet, and this ex-Sound Engineer believes their spec of ~58 dB at 'low' loads. We were going over the Genny in the rear Hatch area of my SUV, and it was near Ear-level to boot.

More importantly, the experienced fellow at the Shop I was at had good things to say about Kipor [pronounced 'Kipper']. He almost never sees them for repair. Very reliable. On his 'real life' Test Bench Load, he said he was amazed to see the 3,000 Watt Genny crank out 4,000 Watts w/o a sweat or output Voltage drop. Now, THAT'S conservative Specsmanship.

He also gave me the tip to Choke any Genny for a few seconds only, tops. The way a lil Spring on the Choke Line is configured, I can add a +12 VDC Solenoid that energizes only on Key 'Start' position by pulling on this Carb Valve Spring/Cable 1/4" or so. That Geek tweak, along with a Radio-controlled Start Switch I can jimmy up myself, and I'll have a Homeboy Remote Start Genny!

A pal just gave me nice Gas Tank w/Hand Pump he used in his lil Boat. I can SAFELY tee on that Tank, via a 3 way Shutoff Valve used on ATVs. So, I can also extend run time with a 2nd Tank. The trick I know from working with paralleled Water Cisterns is to keep both Tanks at the same horizontal level AND ensure everything is intrinsically safe and engineered as fool-proof. This way, Tanks can't flood each other by Gravity differential.

The 'bad news: sucker weighs about 125 lbs. So, I mounted the never-mounted Wheels and will enjoy the 'free' Genny. It's stout enough for House duty backup during Grid outages. I'll sell the very noisy, lightly-used 4,500 Generac I have.

We Boondock, but the n/c Genny price as part of the TT deal can't be beat!

Kipor 3000 Genny

My almost-new, 13,500 BTU TT A/C starts fine w/o tripping the TT 15 Amp 120 VAC Breaker. My Ear can hear the 'gentle' start up. That means it initially draws less than 1,800 Watts [~15 Amps x 120 VAC]. My new, 'obsolete' Carrier RV AC appears to have a 'Soft Start' Switch built in; the key. Without Soft Start, A/C start-up current inrush surges tax Shore or Genny Power. Retrofit A/C Soft Start Kits were <$20- at Amazon when I looked a few months ago.
Engineer Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:12 PM   #9
I have the Champion 4000 watt (3500 continuous watts) portable generator as a back up for my 5ver. It runs great, it's quite, and is very reasonable at $300. You can get it at www.campingworld.com. I can run my 15,000 btu a/c, lights, etc. It has a built in 30amp rv hook up and does what I need it to.
2011 Heartland Big Country 3595RE
2005 Ford F350 dually 6.0L Diesel
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
You may be able to run on one Honda 2000. We did it on our previous TT, BUT we had to turn everything else off, including the converter. We couldn't even run a small fan. So yes it can be done but a pair of 2000s would give you almost the same power as a 30 amp hook-up, so you could run the AC and a majority of other items.
I have a 2000 honda; it won't run the air.
melvonnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #11
Send a message via Yahoo to Biken201
My Yamaha 2400 will not run my AC...
2014 Arctic Fox 31D
2011 Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 Cummins
Biken201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #12
Honda big Red

3000is Honda all the way buy one you are done and cool also so do not buy junk! mine is a 2003 and same battery 8years the only thing I do is change the Oil twice a year run sintex 10-30 so ...get a Honda big red yes... to heavy to steal...a cool idea is a rear mount on the trailer as I made for My Red and a coustom elect. cable just long enought to reach the trailer and coustom lock I can run the air as I drive down the road to pre.cool the unit or heat it with elect heaters before stopping for a rest in the winter driveing south...I also have a heavy home made cover made of decora a canvas like cloth...Bushman...want to see a few pic? if so ask and I will post them....
John&Jeannette Just enjoying life, camping, friends, sitting around the fire at night LOL life is good. Bye John the Bushman!! EH
Bushman512003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 AM   #13
I recently purchased the dual Honda eu2000 setup for my 35' K-Z. The meter shows the A/C is pulling 1600 watts, which is about the max. continuous output for one generator, so there's nothing left for other equipment with only one genny. I also learned that when the generator's eco-throttle switches are on (slow mode), the compressor start up surge overloads them before they get up to speed. I let them run full bore and turn on the A/C using the manual setting so it doesn't cycle on it's own. After it's running, I switch on the eco-throttles to conserve fuel. With the windows shut and the A/C fan running, there's no vibration and very little noise. It's not nearly as convienent as an on-board system, but I now have two 2000 watt portable generators for emergency power at the bricks and mortar home.
2007 K-Z 35 Toyhauler, 2006 Chev 2500HD Duramax, 2005 H-D Road King Classic, 2007 Mini-Schnauzer "Scooter"
menoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #14
Have a Kipor 2000 watt- will run everything (microwave included) but the AC. The AC says minimum 2400 watts. Would go with no less than 3000 watts if expecting to use the AC. HTH.

Sc00ter is offline   Reply With Quote