Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2016, 08:32 PM   #1

Generators

Hi Everyone,
Ok, I'm new to this RVing thing. I also just registered on this site. I just bought a small tow behind camper made by Riverside. It's a 2016 White Water Retro 177SE, 18 footer. I'm looking for a small generator somewhere between 2500 and 3500 watts, with at least one 30 amp receptacle. I would like a quiet running unit, light weight (maybe a 100 lbs or less). If possible I would like to find something less than $500 or so. Am I dreaming, or there a generator out there for me? If someone knows of anything close to what I'm looking for, I would greatly appreciate you contacting me.
Thank you,
OClark
orclark@gmail.com

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2016, 08:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
here is a search result for genny's hope it helps

http://www.irv2.com/forums/tags/generator.html

Old 10-03-2016, 08:40 PM   #3

I bought a Champion 4KW from Lowes, $368.00 and came with the wheels too. Easy starting, usually 1 choke pull and 1/2 pull on 2nd pull it starts.
It carries everything in my TT and has extra power, and has a digital read out for amps, volts, hours used and operation hours. Harbor Freight also carries 4KW units too. They are not as quiet as Honda but for the difference in price I can make do. Check around and you can find them in you price range.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:45 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Remember, the first person you'll drive crazy with a noisier generator is yourself, and anyone nearby.

If you can find a good inverter gennie for sale used, you can probably get it for $500: Honda (companion model is 2K watts and has a 30 amp plug), Yamaha, Champion (inverter style, not the open frame job site noisy as an old lawnmower style), etc.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Please, don't get a noisy contractor type generator...

We have a Champion 3100 inverter type. Quiet, easy start, well built. Will run an air conditioner. Paid $599 on sale at Costco.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Please, don't get a noisy contractor type generator...

We have a Champion 3100 inverter type. Quiet, easy start, well built. Will run an air conditioner. Paid $599 on sale at Costco.

+1. We have been running champion inverter type generators for about 6 years now and love them. Quiet, price is right, and customer service has been great.
Old 10-04-2016, 12:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleb100 View Post
+1. We have been running champion inverter type generators for about 6 years now and love them. Quiet, price is right, and customer service has been great.
I have the same one. Preferred the Honda 2K for how small, light, and quiet it is but after testing it myself it couldn't run the AC unit. Very happy with what I ended up buying. Got this one for about $100 off. Champion 2800wt Running / 3100wt Peak Digital Inverter Gas Generator, Parallel Capability, Carb & EPA Certified, Low Decibels
Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 AM   #8

I like my Yamaha 3400 watt inverter generator.

Nice and quite and will run the A/C on my trailer I have a 13.5 unit.

Found mine on Craigslist used for $600.

Does not have a 30 amp plug so I just use the converter plug from 30 amps to 110.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 08:55 AM   #9

Question, sorry to thread jack but it's related. I obtained a Honda 2200 Generator and plan to use it sparingly this weekend (first time no hookups) to recharge by batteries. Both batteries are new and the same model and I plan to use batteries in parallel. When I use generator to recharge, do I keep batteries in parallel hooked up to generator (unhooked from TT) or do I charge each individuallyrics?

Thanks!!
Old 10-04-2016, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancingBull View Post
Question, sorry to thread jack but it's related. I obtained a Honda 2200 Generator and plan to use it sparingly this weekend (first time no hookups) to recharge by batteries. Both batteries are new and the same model and I plan to use batteries in parallel. When I use generator to recharge, do I keep batteries in parallel hooked up to generator (unhooked from TT) or do I charge each individuallyrics?

Thanks!!
You leave them together and run a battery charger plugged into the generator.

The converter in the RV will work fine if equiped. Just plug in the shore cord and run the generator for 2 hours or so.

If your trying to charge your batteries from the generators 12 volt output, don't bother. It's 8 amps at best and will need to run all day.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:01 PM   #11

I bought a champion 46514 for camping and home backup and used it for both for the last 3 yrs. it has the camper receptacle on it for a camper so I don't have to use an adapter. It'll run my 15000 btu ac along with everything else at the same time. I put the icebox and hot water heater on gas. It runs for 12 hrs on3.8 gallons of gas. It's not as quiet as the Hondas but it cost me $320 at tractor supply. I've used it during storms and it has done a fine job of keeping all the important things going.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:25 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I was about fifty yards from someone that had one similar to the Champion gennie mentioned above that was mounted on a shelf on the back of a fifth wheel. It sounded like a loud lawnmower even at the distance I was parked from it. Maybe there was something wrong with it, like a bad muffler, but the open framed job site type gennies are usually not allowed in National Parks and many campgrounds because they are very loud.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:14 PM   #13

The moral of the story is 2k isn't enough to run your AC and if you don't get an inverter generator your neighbors will hate you.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You leave them together and run a battery charger plugged into the generator.

The converter in the RV will work fine if equiped. Just plug in the shore cord and run the generator for 2 hours or so.

If your trying to charge your batteries from the generators 12 volt output, don't bother. It's 8 amps at best and will need to run all day.
Same difference right? Running the batteries on a charger isn't any better than just plugging in the trailer, right?

Tags
generator