Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 05:43 AM   #15

I normally do not chime in on these towing capacity threads, since i do think a lot of responders are overly cautious. In this case, even i must say you are way on the dangerous side, if not weight, the length of your trailer for a 1/2 ton truck. We tow a 26 ft ( which measures out at almost 30' ) with our 1/2 ton Ram 5.7 #9000 tow rating, and would not go any bigger without upgrading to a 3/4 ton. You have never towed a TT, so for you and your family saftey, listen to us on this one.
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #16

I didn't say I wouldn't listen - just trying to understand. I though 80% was the magic # but it looks like it needs to be 80% when loaded! not dry.

My new plan is to get a smaller RV. It looks like bringing the road bike is out, but I could bring the dual sport (225lbs) in the truck bed with a smaller RV.

In 2017 I'm getting a new truck so if I'm still into RVing then I can get a bigger truck and a 'real' toy hauler.
TylerSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:02 AM   #17

Rockwood Ultra Lite Travel Trailers by Forest River RV
Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #18

Ok here we go: 230TRS

http://www.keystonerv.com/outback-te...s/model-mobile
Old 07-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #19

Now you're talking!
Look at the Winnebago Minnie towables as well.

Back on the weight issue, keep in mind that the dry weight and hitch weight especially, do not include the weight of two propane tanks and the massive house battery(s) either. Not to mention televisions, optional outside kitchen, awning in many cases, etc. etc..
They are very misleading. Then you add all your camping stuff, pots/pans, silverware and dishes, towels, folding chairs, 50 gallons of water and on and on.

If you are going to go by any weight, make it the Gross Vehicle Weight of the trailer. That is, the most the trailer can weigh on it's axles and tires. And then give yourself a 10-20% margin above that to make it comfortable.

White knuckle towing with two kids and three dogs is no fun at all. And fun is what this is supposed to be all about.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 10:14 PM   #20

Getting into RVs

When you read the details of the towing capacity 12000# is with max tow and 6.2L.

I have a '14 Chevy cc/sb 5.3 L 3.42

Hitch rating 1200
Gvwr 7600
Gcwr 15000
Trailer rating at 9600

I pull a '15 jayco white hawk 28'. Empty is 5500. Gvwr at 7500? Or so.

You're at the hitch rating already. I'd hate to hear about the hitch falling off the truck after you get it all loaded up.

Truck weighs 6500 loaded with all I need for the trip, Add in hitch 100#, my trailer has dry tongue weight 635#, cargo in the trailer in tongue 200# = 7335#. Way over 80% for the truck but gcwr and trailer capacity are within comfortable ranges.

I'd say you are trying to move way too much, especially in a moderately mountainous area.
iamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSC View Post
Looks like it may be 1/2 ton towable. Get a good WDH as the garage is in the front. 1/2 the weight of anything carried there will go to the tongue weight, the trailer will carry the other half. Don't let the empty tongue weight of 555 fool you, you will have that tongue weight once! When you tow it home the first time! Get 1000# or 1200# bars not the 800# WDH. It is the LOADED weight you will be concerned with. No one tows an empty trailer except the delivery guy, and he probably has a 1 ton dually to deliver it with.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFlcamper View Post
Looks like it may be 1/2 ton towable. Get a good WDH as the garage is in the front. 1/2 the weight of anything carried there will go to the tongue weight, the trailer will carry the other half. Don't let the empty tongue weight of 555 fool you, you will have that tongue weight once! When you tow it home the first time! Get 1000# or 1200# bars not the 800# WDH. It is the LOADED weight you will be concerned with. No one tows an empty trailer except the delivery guy, and he probably has a 1 ton dually to deliver it with.
Thanks for the hitch advice.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:35 AM   #23

Hey TylerSC,

Everyone else has had very good points about tow capacities, Max GVWR etc....
The 324CG is a BIG trailer!
Its 11+ feet tall, and 37.5ft long (bumper to ball)
I just bought one in Jan 2015, and tow with a '06 F250 CC diesel.
Its BIG, and I definitely know that its there when Im towing, and stopping.

If I use the Keystone Weight/Ratings sticker that is on my trailer,
GVWR: 9785lbs
Each Axle: 4400 lbs
Cargo Cary Capacity (with full fresh water tanks): 1751lbs

Its that 9785lbs that is a little too much for a 1/2ton truck.
Will your 1/2 ton truck tow this trailer? Yes, it could.
Is it a good idea for long trips, or sketchy downhill mountain drives? Maybe not.
Should you upgrade to a 3/4ton, or diesel? YES!!!!
Is that practical, or affordable? That is your decision.

The 324CG is an AWESOME trailer, and very unique with the separate front cargo room. My two kids sleep in the 'cargo room' on the bunk beds, and my wife and I on the KING size bed in back. The 'living area' is well appointed, plush and lots storage/cabinet space. The dinette and 'couch/futon bed' area are HUGE. Bathroom is BIG, and has a FULL SIZE porcelain toilett!!!!! The shower has a skylight for extra head room (I am 6'6") and the rest of the trailer has arched ceiling with a max height of 7ft!!!
The 'cargo room' is a great size, with A/C vents, a 'closet', and electrical and cable conections to add a TV! There's also an outside shower, built in to the Shore Power panel (which was never shown on any of the Keystone brochures).

If you have any more questions about the 324CG, feel free to ask, or PM me.
BIGMatt562 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs