Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #1

Getting into RVs

I am looking at getting a travel trailer next year to pull with my '14 Silverado 1/2 ton truck. We have an almost 4 year old and a 2 month old, plus three small dogs, so hotel/travel options for us are limited, and it's getting harder to justify me leaving for the weekend to fish or ride motorcycles in the mountains of NC.

So far, the best option I have found is the Keystone Outback 324CG. It should have space for a motorcycle, grill, and generator, plus plenty of living space. It weighs just about 80% of my towing capacity dry. This is for 2-3 hour drives in the WNC mountains, long weekends, and maybe a week or so at the beach in summer.

Any advice or comments on my trailer choice are more than welcome!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #2

I think you will be seriously overloaded. You need to figure out carrying capacity of your vehicle, weight trailer tongue weight, what you want to carry, all the limits on your vehicle, etc. All the information is available if you dig around. The worst place to get information is the dealer. Web sites have it.

Old 07-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer weight is right at 80% of capacity. Tongue weight is about 1150lbs out of a payload of 1957 lbs. That's 59%. I think we're good.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:11 PM   #4

1957 lbs payload in a 1/2 ton ?
Old 07-24-2015, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorfx View Post
1957 lbs payload in a 1/2 ton ?
Yep
Old 07-24-2015, 07:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Shipping weight alone is 7720. Add a motorcycle, grille and generator. You have to be over 8000lbs. Plus, it shows to be 37 feet long. You are just looking for trouble. All it takes is one good gust.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:20 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSC View Post
I am looking at getting a travel trailer next year to pull with my '14 Silverado 1/2 ton truck. We have an almost 4 year old and a 2 month old, plus three small dogs, so hotel/travel options for us are limited, and it's getting harder to justify me leaving for the weekend to fish or ride motorcycles in the mountains of NC.

So far, the best option I have found is the Keystone Outback 324CG. It should have space for a motorcycle, grill, and generator, plus plenty of living space. It weighs just about 80% of my towing capacity dry. This is for 2-3 hour drives in the WNC mountains, long weekends, and maybe a week or so at the beach in summer.

Motorcycle, generator, wife, kids, dogs, tank of water, mountain grades? I'd rethink if I were you. You are adding a lot of weight to that "dry" weight.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:34 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlovitt View Post
Motorcycle, generator, wife, kids, dogs, tank of water, mountain grades? I'd rethink if I were you. You are adding a lot of weight to that "dry" weight.
X2 if you enjoy the above wife, kids, etc. I would really rethink your weight on that 1/2 ton. The down hill side of those hills are going to be a hoot.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #9

Gentlemen, I am 2000 pounds under capacity at dry weight. How is that not sufficient? 500lbs motorcycle, 100lbs gen, even lets say 1000lbs more and we're still not at capacity.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Since I've been toying with the idea of downsizing I found this post interesting. I like the layout of this, it would serve our needs nicely.

I found this trailer towing guide for 2014 Chevy's https://www.chevrolet.com/content/da...de_1113.13.pdf It shows you can tow 12,000, I assume this is providing you have the right hitch.

The Outback loaded weight comes in just under that, not much to spare. What does your bike weigh, what does the other stuff weigh? Also, the distribution of the weight will be more in the front, which will make it tongue heavy. I would be you will need some sort of stabilizer and or suspension upgrade.

I'm not making a recommendation as I am not an expert on this but will be watching.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:53 PM   #11

Getting into RVs

Passenger weight and gear , plus fuel has to come out of the payload as well. Pretty easy to carry 200 lbs of fuel.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
12000 # minus 80 % = 9600

Outback 8000 # bike 500# two adults 300 # Hitch ? 200#
water /gas? 480 # personal items ? 300# small kids ? 100 #

I get 9880# Plus or minus a few pounds on a ruff estimate.

I am not an expert just doing a little head math. Be safe!
Old 07-24-2015, 09:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSC View Post

You are choosing to ignore very good advice after asking for it because it does NOT meet your situation. Hitch rating on the GM 1500 truck is 1200# at best and you claim 1150# already. Front garage and 1/2 the weight of the bike and generator are on the tongue weight too. Truck payload is for a stripped down model and includes a 125# driver ONLY. So, 1957# - 1150# = 807#. In that 807# you are going to include your wife, 2 kids, and 3 small dogs plus whatever you weigh over 125#. Say 225#? Now you are down to 582# Add in diaper bag, toys for bigger kid, snacks, child safety seats, wife's purse. Down to just 500# now. Weight of WDH must be included, so 400# now. This does not allow for tool box, tools, bed liner, and anything else you have added to truck. OOPs! 60# of LP and 40# battery on front of trailer. Now you are at the payload you claim but is probably for a stripped down model and nit your actual truck. I didn't calculate the bike or generator weight, I only mentioned they were going to be added because of the front garage (if Google showed me the right model).

I have towed my 27' with a 1500 GMC and can tell you that you WILL feel the wind push that trailer. I recommend staying under 27' and light weight (5500 dry) and rear garage for a 1500. In the mountains, under 30' will be a lot easier to tow and park. My 27' with the axles so far back does track into the other lane on narrow roads. I can tell you there is such a difference in towing with a 2500 over the 1500 once you get anywhere near the trucks limits.

Don't forget you have to take food, dog food, clothes, linens, towels, cleaning supplies, pots, pans, plates, chairs, grill, 1st aid kit, shower supplies for you, the wife and kids. Deodorant, tooth brushes, toothpaste, TP, books, readers, chargers, DVDs for kids, water hose, sewer drain hose, Safety equipment for bike, gas for bike and generator. Everything adds up a lot faster than you would think. Your kids will be growing and you will want fishing equipment and other things to do with them. PLEASE, for your family's safety, go smaller with TT or move up to a 2500 truck.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #14

I wouldn't tow that trailer with your half ton if it were empty and dry outside of town, and certainly not on an interstate.

The capacities the manufacturers advertise are not realisitc. Maybe if it's plates of steel on a low, short, flat trailer, but not a 37' TT. Check the load rating on the tires, too.

Tags
rvs