Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
caseydc57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 25
Girard tank less water heater replacement.

Hello all, I have a 2013 TT that had a 1st generation Girard tankless water heater that would not put out hot water very well. I took the time to trouble shoot it this week with the help of the manufacturer over the phone several times. What I found was the heater LP regulator was not putting out enough LP for a good robust flame to heat the water. We were unable to adjust it enough. I believe I will be installing their new upgraded one using a control dial. The original unit was rated max at 27000 BTU. The new one rated max is 36000BTU with more control. I'm giving Girard one more chance. I do wish to be tankless but, my Wife comes first.
__________________

__________________
caseydc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #2
Lac
Senior Member
 
Lac's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kamloops BC Canada
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydc57 View Post
Hello all, I have a 2013 TT that had a 1st generation Girard tankless water heater that would not put out hot water very well. I took the time to trouble shoot it this week with the help of the manufacturer over the phone several times. What I found was the heater LP regulator was not putting out enough LP for a good robust flame to heat the water. We were unable to adjust it enough. I believe I will be installing their new upgraded one using a control dial. The original unit was rated max at 27000 BTU. The new one rated max is 36000BTU with more control. I'm giving Girard one more chance. I do wish to be tankless but, my Wife comes first.
With the upmost respect...we bought a new 2013 Wind River 250rdsw with the Girard tankless system. Nothing but trouble...terrible. The dealer through ORV during the warranty period changed it out to the version 2 with the control knob.
Again nothing but trouble....followed the instructions to the letter.
Fluctuating water temperature, noisy,fluctuating water pressure. Last year ORV replacesd the tank in La Grande...no cost to me..with a 6 gallon tank type ?....no room for a 10 gallon. It works wonderful. It's like night and day.

Girard was going to charge me $350.00 to convert to version 2. Outdoors RV Manufacturing will not install any Girard tankless Hotwater tanks in their units. I would suggest you go back to the TT dealer and replace it with a tank type.
ORV stepped up to the plate and did the right thing...Girard wouldn't.
Hopefully you don't get the run around from your dealer..saying it's not our problem it's working as designed.
At least with the tank type you can run it on electricity or propane if you choose that model.
IMHO I would not recommend the Girard tankless system version 1 or 2.
Coops
__________________

__________________
2013 Wind River 250 RDSW
2012 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins
Member Outdoors RV Forum
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Junior Member
 
caseydc57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 25
For my Wifes sake, & what you just told me, I'll be getting a 6 gal hot water heater for sure. Thank You!
__________________
caseydc57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
Lac
Senior Member
 
Lac's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kamloops BC Canada
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydc57 View Post
For my Wifes sake, & what you just told me, I'll be getting a 6 gal hot water heater for sure. Thank You!

My pleasure my friend..if I had room a 10 gallon would be my preference.

Travel safely and good luck
Coops
__________________
2013 Wind River 250 RDSW
2012 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins
Member Outdoors RV Forum
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
IdahoBob's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
With the upmost respect...we bought a new 2013 Wind River 250rdsw with the Girard tankless system. Nothing but trouble...terrible. The dealer through ORV during the warranty period changed it out to the version 2 with the control knob.
Again nothing but trouble....followed the instructions to the letter.
Fluctuating water temperature, noisy,fluctuating water pressure. Last year ORV replacesd the tank in La Grande...no cost to me..with a 6 gallon tank type ?....no room for a 10 gallon. It works wonderful. It's like night and day.

Girard was going to charge me $350.00 to convert to version 2. Outdoors RV Manufacturing will not install any Girard tankless Hotwater tanks in their units. I would suggest you go back to the TT dealer and replace it with a tank type.
ORV stepped up to the plate and did the right thing...Girard wouldn't.
Hopefully you don't get the run around from your dealer..saying it's not our problem it's working as designed.
At least with the tank type you can run it on electricity or propane if you choose that model.
IMHO I would not recommend the Girard tankless system version 1 or 2.
Coops
Ditto for us!!!

Bob
__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2010 Ram 3500 CTD 4X4
Pasco, WA
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Junior Member
 
Forest River Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 18
Gerard Tankless

Have a gen 1 Girard tankless heater and once I leaned how to use it, we love it. Couldn't regulate the water temperature. Did some searching on line and one person said change the temp setting on the two position switch in the kitchen away from high. Did that and no more problems. You just have to get used to regulating the flow to get the temperature you want.
Retired almost full timer!
Floyd
__________________

Filterman
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:47 PM   #7
Lac
Senior Member
 
Lac's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Kamloops BC Canada
Posts: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filterman View Post
Have a gen 1 Girard tankless heater and once I leaned how to use it, we love it. Couldn't regulate the water temperature. Did some searching on line and one person said change the temp setting on the two position switch in the kitchen away from high. Did that and no more problems. You just have to get used to regulating the flow to get the temperature you want.
Retired almost full timer!
Floyd
Wonderful....glad someone had success with it. Maybe our gen 1 and gen 2 units where lemons. We dry camp a lot and it just didn't meet our camping requirements. This is a very innovative idea I give full marks for that.

Coops
__________________
2013 Wind River 250 RDSW
2012 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins
Member Outdoors RV Forum
Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:03 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
IdahoBob's Avatar
 
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pasco, WA
Posts: 1,177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lac View Post
Wonderful....glad someone had success with it. Maybe our gen 1 and gen 2 units where lemons. We dry camp a lot and it just didn't meet our camping requirements. This is a very innovative idea I give full marks for that.

Coops
With the thankless heater, we also disliked the water heater flame thrower firing up every time we needed a tiny bit of hot water. And we really missed not having an electric water heater since most places we stay at least have electrical hookups.

Bob
__________________

__________________
2014 Wind River 250RDSW
2010 Ram 3500 CTD 4X4
Pasco, WA
IdahoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, replace, replacement, tank, water, water heater



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Leaking Into Fresh Water Holding Tank Black Smoke Monaco Owner's Forum 2 10-30-2014 08:52 AM
Tank vent tube drains fresh water tank problem Laker44 Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 20 09-01-2014 10:53 AM
No water from Atwood hot water heater bsamole Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum 5 08-24-2014 10:11 PM
Water heater bypass and antifreeze siphon n5pht Class C Motorhome Discussions 2 04-05-2014 04:26 PM
The Sewer Solution Idiot Jeffreys RV Systems & Appliances 37 04-05-2014 12:38 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.