Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
You can get a lot of trailer in the used market under 10000$. Don't forget to plan for accessories (water, sewer hoses, vent covers, weight distribution hitch, small tool box, assortment of electrical and plumbing spares, chocks, leveling blocks, ...) the list never ends!

Have you owned a camping trailer before? If not, I'd highly recommend used that way if it's not your thing then you won't loose much on depreciation. Buying new, you loose 25% the minute you leave the dealership (aka stealership).

It's not a cheap hobby by any means (how many nights could you stay in a hotel for 10 000$? )... But a great way to spend time outdoors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
YES !!!!! He is fixed on NEW !!!! I have tried to convince him on used also, maybe he will come around !!!! Rite Chris ????
Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Are you fixed on New? Can you search for used ones that also fit your financing needs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
The only other thing is make sure you get a tralier with at least a 6.3 cubic fridge with separate freezer. We find we can pack enough food and drink for about 6 days or so. Anything smaller you will be bringing coolers.
I agree with all the above post(s) 100%

You get more for your money buying a used unit. (most all bugs worked out)

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #16

Keep in mind that with a $1000 down payment, whenever you sell the trailer, you'll be owing more to the bank than what it's worth. That 14000$ trailer is only worth 8000 3-4 years later.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #17

Another option instead of making payments every month and paying for insurance is renting for 1-2 weeks this year, it will help you figure out what you need and what you want...

With the payments you're looking at, you'll end up paying about 6000$ in interest... (that's a lot of rv rentals right there).
Old 07-03-2014, 07:05 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Financing is loosening up, so if your credit is good, and you've been in your job awhile, you should get approved.

But if you are worrying about a difference of $20 a month, I'd be concerned about the affordability of this thing for you. I hope for camping you accounting for all the costs of each trip out - expect to only get 10-12 mpg - most likely a full tank of gas for 4 hours on the road. Campgrounds usually cost $25-$35 a day.

Hope it works out.

We don't have any kids, and we have lots of expendable income. The problem is that we have the majority of that income going into savings etc, and we aren't willing to take from the savings. So whatever we choose has to fit into our allowed "play money".

We could easily afford a $200/mth insurance + payment cost, but we want to keep it as low as possible.

We will make some more decisions this weekend.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:37 AM   #19

I would suggest checking with the actual campgrounds where you think you will stay. We have yet to stay anywhere under $50/night because the wife and group of friends we travel with all like full hookups and nice big lots. We stay at a lot of KOA's, Yogi Bear Jellystone's and "resort" camp grounds. This week is a holiday week, so 8 nights is over $500 plus food, firewood and fuel. Don't get me wrong, it's much cheaper than a hotel and we absolutely love it. But, I think people tend to think of camping as a spartan, cheap vacation and I'm not sure i agree with that. Between monthly payments, maintenance, fuel and camp sites we are easily spending more per year camping than we did on our one or two "big vacations" to the beach each year. Just make sure to take it all into consideration. I applaud your approach to all of this, and your unwillingness to change your savings plan. Very smart! Good luck!

Dan
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat Crew Cab Ecoboost
2013 Jayco Jayflight 28BHBE 28'
Old 07-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanFromGC View Post
I would suggest checking with the actual campgrounds where you think you will stay.

Most of the Texas State Parks are $20 to $35 a night, and with an annual Texas State Park pass You get 50% off each night after the first night you stay. Most of the beach RV parks we would stay at are $35 to $45 a night. Both State Parks and the Beach Parks are with hookups.

We just want a trailer that we can hook up on Friday afternoon, head down to the beach or local state park, and stay until Sunday. We'll probably take it out to the family farm and things like that as well.

ETA: I tend to research things to the nth degree, so that when I go into something, there isn't any question as to whether i've made the wrong choice or not.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 AM   #21

I think a small travel trailer if fine for 2-3 night adventures. Week long adventures call for accommodations with a little more room. The smaller the trailer, the more stuff your going to have to pack and unpack each trip.
The larger your RV is, the more it cost to get to your destination. 2 night trips my not be long enough to justify the cost and hassle. It all depends an how you intend to use your RV. If you invest in a travel trailer, use it all you can, too many folks buy an RV and then let it sit on the side of the house month after month.
I have never bought new, you can find "like new" 2-4 year old RVs at 70% to 50% or even less of the original purchase price from private parties. New does not mean without problems or repairs needed. Sometimes used RVs have had all the bugs worked out. Its a coin toss on that subject.
Here in AZ, there's also 10% state tax to add to the purchase price if bought new. Most dealers will also include a fee to explain how everything works, prep fee, doc fee, destination fee, almost impossible to recoup your lose should you decide to sell.
Best of luck!
Old 07-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #22

ETA: I tend to research things to the nth degree, so that when I go into something, there isn't any question as to whether i've made the wrong choice or not

Your quote !!!!

If you did, in your situation, and with many suggestions, you would buy used !!!

I guess i should shut up and let you spend your money the way you want, you want to work with limited fund, you can't buy the size you want, you want lower payments, and there are tons of like new ,used TT out there.

One last ( maybe out of place comment ) You were hard headed about the tow vehicle, and went and bought a truck, now you have limited funds for what you want and you won't consider used, i hope that hard head may soften again.

OK off my soapbox now, last comment,and hope you get where you want to be !

Jim
Old 07-03-2014, 11:49 AM   #23

Quote:
OK off my soapbox now, last comment,and hope you get where you want to be !

Jim

After getting more concrete numbers yesterday, the option of buying used has come into play - so we are opening up our minds to it, and facing that fact that used may be the only way for us to get in the game right now.

I just don't want to jump into a used trailer before I have exhausted all of my other options.

There's an 'ick' factor to a used travel trailer that we just can't get used to among other things. The Viewfinder we looked at a week or two ago looked like it had never seen a wax job. The wood molding around the slide was warped and the veneer was peeling/bubbling off. The previous owner had DIY'd a tv mount and actually cut holes in the wall.

And even if I buy used, I still can't get the terms we need. Used terms through my credit union only go up to 72 months, and 96 in special cases.

I dont know. I guess I just have to have faith that it'll happen when it happens, and when it happens it will be the right trailer for us.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #24

I purchased a brand new Jayco 24FBS TT about a year ago and got funding through Lightstream a division of Suntrust Bank. Go to www.lightstream.com and you can apply online. It was the easiest and best loan experience I have ever had. I took out a much larger loan than you are considering and had the money in a matter of days. They also did not require the loan to be a lien on the trailer.

Give them a look, nothing to lose.
itsrturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #25

Quote:

If you did, in your situation, and with many suggestions, you would buy used !!!

Well there's been a development over the last hour or so. I found this trailer:
Used 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 197FBH Travel Trailer at Fun Town RV | Cleburne, TX | #132550A

Our salesman in Dallas thinks that he can get us a better discount on it, than he can on a new one. In addition this one has everything we want at a lower price. And he is the one who took this in on a trade, and he says it is spotless and there isn't a scratch on it.

I can't wait to go look at this one. $12,500 @ 6% for 120 months is about $131/mth. And with my credit score, I think I would be closer to 5%.

I'm really kind of excited about this one because the layout is so nice, it has an oven, big fridge/freezer, ducted a/c, out door shower, tub/shower, out door speakers, awning, and it has both a couch and a dinette.

So see.... I'm considering used.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:15 PM   #26

Had a good bit of money at Sun Trust,(100,000 plus )treated me real nice. Withdrew it to pay cash for my current home and property, applied for a 5,000 loan for some home improvements and they turned it down .

No Sun Trust for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim
Old 07-03-2014, 03:34 PM   #27

I still would not discount a late model used trailer. I once bought a 3year old trailer that had so little use that the packing material was still on a few of the appliances including the microwave. Also consider a low interest home equity loan to pay for the trailer instead of the dealers financing, and it's a tax deduction.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:36 PM   #28

We just bought our home in December. No equity yet.