Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM   #43

Glad to see you did not leave. Can't wait to see you all camping in it.

Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #44

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
Glad to see you did not leave. Can't wait to see you all camping in it.
Yeah, ditto what he said. We "demand" pictures...LOL!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:59 PM   #45

This us the outside. And the second picture isn't ours but just like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140704_172522.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	67571   Click image for larger version

Name:	24960-5.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	67572  

Name:	24960-6.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	67573  
Old 07-11-2014, 09:37 PM   #46

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Just add yourselves and the pooches, and that new GMC! Good to go!

Nice layout with that slide...

Cheers! Bill
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM   #47

Looking Good, and see what $4500 can buy !!! Had the inspection done yet? Can't say i'm a big fan of Camping World, but they are the most around. Given her a tow yet ?
Jim
Old 07-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
congrats on the new vehicle to you. I think you made out quite well.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Looking Good, and see what $4500 can buy !!! Had the inspection done yet? Can't say i'm a big fan of Camping World, but they are the most around. Given her a tow yet ?
Jim

Well we are having 2nd thoughts on the inspection at Camping World. I just talked to the seller, and he's been cleaning it up and out. He said he hooked up the water since it had been winterized, and there wasn't any leaks in the plumbing or anything. I know the electric works because I saw it, and I know the A/C works because I tested it.

I'm figuring for its age, and condition, if anything is going to break I really dont need to spend $230 to have someone tell me that its going to break.

We'll just check out the roof and seals ourselves and do as much inspecting ourselves as we can.

He's one of those very finicky 85 year old farmers who takes impeccable care of his things. He wouldn't even allow his own daughter to use this camper when she previously asked, so I trust that its good to go.

He called to make sure that I had the right connections on my truck, and he was even going to pull the brake controller out of his truck and give it to me if I didn't have one!! He's already giving me the sway bars and weight dist hitch.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:08 PM   #50

The only major thing to ask is when the brakes were checked last and same with the bearings.

Yes you can check out lots on your own and save money.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 11:23 PM   #51

If you're willing to learn and spend a little time, there's almost nothing you can't fix yourself. The only things to really look for are signs of rot, mildew, water stains or soft spots. Open all the cabinets, pull out all the drawers. Use a flashlight and a pdi checklist. Inspect all the seals around the roof, vents, ac, etc... If there's any sign of water infiltration a repair could easily cost more than your paying for the trailer. The furnace water heater and Fridge should be serviced before being put to useu(cob webs could cause a fire) all the service manuals are available for download. Inspect and repack the bearings. Inspect the AC filter. The batteries may need replacing if they weren't charged every 30 days. The fresh water tank should be sanitized with chlorine before use. Inspect the water pump filter. Check the expiration date on the propane tanks. Check that the new tires have the correct load rating for the trailer. Crawl underneath and look for any damaged wiring (especially brake wires). If you are not sure if the roof is walk on then bring a few 3' 3/4 plywood sheets.

Also check the propane system for leaks (you'll need a test gauge for that). Replace the batteries in the smoke /Co 2 /propane detectors and check their expiration date.

Being 14 years odd, the slide seals may have to be replaced if they are cracked or brittle. Test the slide.
Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #52

marcham got it pretty well covered, bring that it has been garaged i would think you should be 'MUCH" better off than i was. Just think mainly about the saftey stuff, definitely check and repack the bearings and be sure all is good with the electric brakes. As far as the gadgits go, the most expensive thing in there is the gas/ele. frig, $1500-$2000 to replace, so check it out well. Don't forget, it's not like a house frig, can take up to a day to cool down on gas, and almost as long on ele.

Jim
Old 07-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
marcham got it pretty well covered, bring that it has been garaged i would think you should be 'MUCH" better off than i was. Just think mainly about the saftey stuff, definitely check and repack the bearings and be sure all is good with the electric brakes. As far as the gadgits go, the most expensive thing in there is the gas/ele. frig, $1500-$2000 to replace, so check it out well. Don't forget, it's not like a house frig, can take up to a day to cool down on gas, and almost as long on ele.

Jim
its got brand new tires that were just put on within the year they only have 146 miles on them. the batteries have also been installed brand new within the last 12 months.

The elderly gentleman whom I'm buying it from has been cleaning it out and cleaning it up and checking all the systems. He stated that he wanted to make sure everything works before he sold it to me because if it didn't he was going to repair it first.

It was last used a year ago this month when his wife and a friend took it to Lake Texoma.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140704_180118.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	68184  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcham View Post
If you are not sure if the roof is walk on then bring a few 3' 3/4 plywood sheets.

How can you tell if its walk on or not?

This brochure from 2000 doesn't mention roof strutcture.
http://media.rvusa.com/library/Fleetwood2000_ma_b.pdf

I looked underneath it, and from what I saw it looks nearly new. No damage, and no rust either. But what does "cambered chassis" mean?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Financing is loosening up, so if your credit is good, and you've been in your job awhile, you should get approved.

But if you are worrying about a difference of $20 a month, I'd be concerned about the affordability of this thing for you. I hope for camping you accounting for all the costs of each trip out - expect to only get 10-12 mpg - most likely a full tank of gas for 4 hours on the road. Campgrounds usually cost $25-$35 a day.

Hope it works out.
My thoughts exactly. Worrying about $20.00 a month means you're stretching your finances to thin. What if gas goes up .25gal? Then you're at that point of not being able to afford gas for it. JMHO but it sounds like you just need lower your payment about $50.00 for a better comfort zone.

After you've owned it for a year and its out of warranty it a used TT anyway. Buying a used TT that's only a couple years old that's had very little use would be better financially. Lower payments and all the 1st year problems have been worked out.

This is also the worst time to buy as it's the peak camping season. Waiting till Oct you maybe be able to get a better deal on slow moving unit.

Also you should be looking at 25-30% off the MSRP. MSRP's can be misleading but it is what it is as far as where the dealer is starting form. Getting $2000.00 off a $15000 TT isn't really a good deal.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:47 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
This us the outside. And the second picture isn't ours but just like it.
Very nice trailer