Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 03:33 PM   #1

Going to Canadian maritimes, any little things/quirks that I may have not thought of?

Not that Canada is some other world, but any little things you came across that you wish you knew/prepared for before you crossed the border? Campground differences? Like do they all have 50, 30, 15 amp, for example? Fewer full hookups? Things like that...

Thanks,
Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

It is a great trip. We never stayed in a park the whole trip and we were 5 weeks in Newfoundland. We boondock all the time. But they have rv parks. Suggestion: keep your lp tanks full. Some of my fondest memories were in Twillingate, fishing for Cod among the ice bergs with the locals at the Fish, Fun and Folk Festival.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
while the campgrounds do have 15-30-50 amps you need to verify they are "imperial" amps and not metric amps. ��

You'll also want to check w/ your cc to see how they handle out of country purchases, what the official currency exchange rate is and let them know you are going out of the country so they don't turn you off. It might be a good idea to get some canadian money from your bank before leaving, they probably have the best rates of exchange.

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

I used the Allstays app and had no issues in any of Canada Maritimes.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
JNSNWT; I hope your just pulling his leg about Imperial Amps and Metric Amps. To my knowledge and experience there is no such thing as Imperial or Metric measurements of electricity.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #6

Where are you going specifically. The Maritimes is a large area. Going to NFLD is like adding another trip on top of a trip. I have been to the east coast three times in the last five years, including going to NFLD for several weeks on top of our regular trip. The Cabot Trail in Cape Breton is one of the top ten drives in the world. Very scenic indeed, but dont recommend taking your rv around it. It can be done in one day, but several is better. I could go on an on as I love the east coast and will return again. The tides in the Bay of Fundy are a marvel to say the least. Let us know where your plans are and we can help out. Canada is just like the States as far as culture and amenities. Other than Quebec which is French, you could hardly tell you crossed a border, except the people on the east coast are just so darn friendly. Cheers.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:26 PM   #7

We are going through coastal Maine, New Brunswick, NS, PEI, then back through VT and NY. No NFLND...
Old 07-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
JNSNWT; I hope your just pulling his leg about Imperial Amps and Metric Amps .
DLindy, you are correct on both counts

But you gotta admit it sounds reasonable. lol

"the Oilfield PAID me to retire, so I did" :-)
JNSNWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:40 PM   #9

As stated the Cabot Trail is a good tour.We stayed at the Arms of Gold campground in North Sydney. Its close to the trail and you can watch the ferrys going to NFLD. I liked Halifax. We stayed at a campground just across the bridge in Dartmouth. Cant remember the name. The museum at the waterfront is great. It has a titanic display. The nightlife was good with lots of east coast music and fun. We did a nighttime tall ship tour of the harbour, with band and bar on board. It was one of the highlites of our trips. Lunenberg is very scenic and has a great museum. It the home of the Bluenose sailing ship so sometimes you can catch it there. Peggys cove is over rated if you ask me. Last time I was there they wanted us to park half a mile away as there was some tour buses coming in. Having been there before we just kept going. The tidal bore is cool if you can catch it. We saw it at Truro as well as a few places farther down the coast.The fuller the moon ,the better the high tide will be, as well as the tidal bore. Anywhere on the Bay of Fundy is neat. It has the highest tides in the world. PEI is nice and has lots of beaches. Its free to get to the island and cost to come back. We took the ferry over, just for the fun of going on the ferry. Coming back we took the Confederation bridge. The bridge is cheaper than the ferry, thats why we took the ferry over and the bridge back. Lobster was in season at Shediac, on the north shore of New Brunswick in summer. We bought some right off the boat. Having been there three times, I would concentrate on the Bay of Fundy. But if its your first time, travel all around. We enjoyed the fort at Anappolis Valley and the tidal generating hydro station. We liked the reversing falls at St John New Brunswick. The people are just as friendly as can be. I could go for days. Love the maritimes. Most all campgrounds are fully serviced. We do not have metric hydro. At worst you will only get 30 amps. Enjoy your trip. Crossing the border, make sure you dont bring any weapons. They are not fond of people trying to smuggle guns, big knives, pepper spray, or brass knuckles. You wont need any of that stuff here. Us Canucks are more than welcoming to our guests from the south. Cheers.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #10

I meant to say you can watch the NFLD ferry from the docks in North Sydney. For some reason editing my entry doesnt come up as an option. Dont want you to think you can see the ferry from the campground.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:14 AM   #11

Thanks winniman, real helpful.
Old 07-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Know your coach height in metric!
The speed is posted in metric but my GPS converted it, no problem.
Used credit card on everything, that way I got the most accurate conversion exchange rate and didn't have a bunch of there money left over.
Beer and booze is very expensive, if that matters to you stock up in US.
WalMart overnight parking is done to the max! Unable to get a spot after several attempts, one park employee suggested the Walmart. There were 35 campers there that nite. The following day in NB we had same problem, no sites available, 19 campers at that WM.
Old 07-07-2017, 01:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Beer and booze is very expensive, if that matters to you stock up in US.
True, but be careful not to stock up more than the allowed alcohol limits. The current per-person limits are: 24 twelve-ounce cans of beer or 40 ounces of hard liquor or 50 ounces (1.5L) of wine.

The border agents will probably not go through your rig with a fine-toothed comb, but you definitely do not want them to catch you in a lie.
Yabbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 07:08 AM   #14

huntnski,
Why'd you have such a hard time getting a CG? was it a holiday or something? I've been told by several that getting a CG on the fly is no problem except for maybe national holidays...which we wont be there for any.

I wasn't planning on making reservations...