Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 01:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFeather View Post
You are all obviously missing the point! But honestly the OP needs to come back and clarify the situation and answer the questions. Until then, it might be a troll. But the main point is... NO company should refuse to cancel a "paid" membership.
Not true, we may not know the whole story, as in the OP he does not give any details that would warrant a tow be sent, yet he goes on the typical rant of how bad CW Roadside assistance is. How do you know that he has not already used the membership for another Tow/Service and maybe they took care of it when they should have or shouldn't have. They are under no obligation to cancel just because you are trying to use it outside the parameters.

A friend of mine bought a nice used MH that had been sitting for a few years without the engine being run, or the gas being removed. He didn't want to try starting it so he was going to have it towed to an RV repair shop to have everything done to it. Then he found out he was going to have to pay over $400 to have it towed. So what does he do, he buys a membership through either CW or AAA and waits a week and then has it towed for free. After that he had the nerve to try and cancel to get his membership fees back. What a cheapskate, but he thought it was no big deal and CW or AAA were the jerks. Always two sides to the story.

Interesting that he has not come back with further details though, if he truly had a case he would more than likely provide more details.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2016, 04:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Not true, we may not know the whole story, as in the OP he does not give any details that would warrant a tow be sent, yet he goes on the typical rant of how bad CW Roadside assistance is. How do you know that he has not already used the membership for another Tow/Service and maybe they took care of it when they should have or shouldn't have. They are under no obligation to cancel just because you are trying to use it outside the parameters.
I am not here to argue... your reply is riddled with "maybes"... Regardless of ANY reason, if the company refuses to allow cancellation, then that company is not operating on good graces and perhaps anyone should question them! I don't need to tell you or anyone else my reason to cancel... It could be I just don't like the customer service. Or whatever. If they refuse to cancel for whatever, then they are operating on bad terms and they should warn customers that their membership is "no money back" baloney! [moderator edit]

GreenFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:21 PM   #17

Quote:
I am not here to argue... your reply is riddled with "maybes"... Regardless of ANY reason, if the company refuses to allow cancellation, then that company is not operating on good graces and perhaps anyone should question them! I don't need to tell you or anyone else my reason to cancel... It could be I just don't like the customer service. Or whatever. If they refuse to cancel for whatever, then they are operating on bad terms and they should warn customers that their membership is "no money back" baloney! [moderator edit]
You missed my point all together. I gave you an example that is true and has all the facts of how someone tried to take advantage of these types of services, not riddled with "maybes". One can only imagine how many others do this and expect a refund after they try and get services outside the parameters that are explained, in writing, when making the original purchase.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
You missed my point all together. I gave you an example that is true and has all the facts of how someone tried to take advantage of these types of services, not riddled with "maybes". One can only imagine how many others do this and expect a refund after they try and get services outside the parameters that are explained, in writing, when making the original purchase.
Ok fine... but I think the alarming and more important fact is that they refused to allow him to cancel the membership/service. Have YOU ever paid for a service which the company refused to allow you to cancel? I have and I gave a prime example. Please think about it.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Ok fine... but I think the alarming and more important fact is that they refused to allow him to cancel the membership/service. Have YOU ever paid for a service which the company refused to allow you to cancel? I have and I gave a prime example. Please think about it.
Actually no we do our research first, read what it is we are buying and how it is to be used, get it in writing, ie the contract. All of them have one for people to read, they sometimes don't read them or even understand what they are buying. We do this so we have realistic expectations, and have never had to cancel anything. Even if we did I would most likely just never renew again and not demand a refund.

That's just life, sometimes things don't work out for you as well as they do for others. When we bought our CW Roadside Service, I had a few questions, and they were fully explained to me by the salesperson. I eventually just let that expire and went with AAA for Roadside assistance, and they have been great. I would use CW again, but it's just easier for me to use AAA. I may buy it again as a backup when we start traveling this summer. I think it's crazy to spend thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars on MH's, hundreds/thousands of dollars on gas, equipment, CG's, and then complain about a roadside service that could cost anywhere from $100 to $200 per year for peace of mind.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:39 AM   #20

Update:
1.) I was grossly over charged for my Roadside. I was charged $695 for a 3 yr contract. I asked SERVERAL questions about the contract before buying. First time buying rv roadside for truck and trailer. (Later after getting on website to get more contact phone numbers, it was MUCH cheaper). This was the first and only time I called in to use the service.
2.) Contract says to cancel a membership to call customer service.
3.) After 2 days of calling and being told I could not cancel my contract. Told that ONLY the dealership I bought the contract from can cancel it.
4.) Dealership spent 2 weeks calling and several emails trying to cancel contract. Roadside told them that the customer (me) had to cancel, not them.
5.) Roadside refused to send tow vehicle. Transmission in my truck went out and had no way of towing trailer.
6.) I DO NOT travel with propane bottle valves open, they are closed. Trailer was full of gas. Propane bottle had a bad valve; stove gas line wasn’t properly installed.
7.) Dispatcher (who is NOT a tech and does not have a license to work on trailers) told me to light the hot water heater pilot. Information was verified from roadside corporate office. Dispatcher has zero experience working on trailers.
8.) Had I not had any common sense and did what the dispatcher told me. I wouldn’t be writing this!
9.) My hot water heater was right under the stove with the bad line. Yes, you could smell gas outside as well as inside trailer.
10.) Mobile tech called, came out and inspected trailer. Found bad valve and stove line. Problem solved!

Final:
Had my 2016 trailer been towed to dealership for a full trailer inspection. It probably would not have caught fire 3 days later with me in the trailer! AND the fire started under the stove by the hot water heater!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Sounds like what happened is you were sold a contract at closing for your RV that you chose to accept without doing research. Now you are finding the limits of what the contract provides you, and that is not the way you think things should be done.

I hope this is a cautionary tale to others to do your research on service plans. I was at CW with my brother and his wife and child yesterday and advised them to not accept the supposed "bargain" service contract they were being offered and to do their research first. They got the hard sell, and they threatened to walk out right there if they didn't let it go.

CW let it go, and they are gonna do their research.

Samiam2, I'm sorry you got other than what you believed was the correct course of action from your service provider. My only advice is if they won't cancel your contract and refund, prepare yourself for further disappointment. Thanks for telling what happened to you, and the decisions you made to take care of the problem.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiam2 View Post
Update:

10.) Mobile tech called, came out and inspected trailer. Found bad valve and stove line. Problem solved!

Final:
Had my 2016 trailer been towed to dealership for a full trailer inspection. It probably would not have caught fire 3 days later with me in the trailer! AND the fire started under the stove by the hot water heater!
1) Holy Cow!

2) Sounds like the problem wasn't solved!

3) How badly was the trailer damaged?

4) I'd get a lawyer!
Old 04-21-2016, 05:29 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBob46 View Post
1) Holy Cow!

2) Sounds like the problem wasn't solved!

3) How badly was the trailer damaged?

4) I'd get a lawyer!
Another suspenseful post, leaving questions unanswered. Because this thread has several from the OP, the truth meter needle isn't moving very far (or fast).

That said, let's hope there wasn't a fire and that was just a "could be". But I stand behind my belief that no company should be operating in good terms if they won't let you easily cancel your pre-paid membership. Of course if they clearly disclose this before purchase, then it's on the buyer. The "no money back" baloney. Being a keen govt accountant, pre-paid anything is embarking into a different transaction when it comes to service (and their income). The rules change when a deceptive company is holding a customer's money hostage. IRC 61. Just ask a company like Netflix what happens when they try to weasel customers with pre-paid service and hold the funds hostage. Anyway, it is ironic that I just got a Good Sam advertisement in the mail. lol.
Old 04-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #24

Tthere is a lot missing to this story. Maybe it's just me, but if it was MY story and it ended with --and then the trailer caught fire with me in it--I think my major concern would not be cancelling the roadside service policy. Just sayin....
Old 04-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #25

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry for you head aches but you really have to do your homework with this kind of stuff. The services provided and what triggers an event can be restrictive. Blow a seal, loose all engine oil, engine freezes. Sorry but the engine failure was due to a seal failure which isn't covered.

Not only did the dealer misrepresent what the service provides but they doubled the cost and did something with it. One of the many reasons to not buy the dealer add on stuff. Pure profit for them and a painful lesson to the buyer. Now who ever answered the phone the first time, well what ever I type the moderator would edit out.
Old 04-21-2016, 03:05 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am still confused. Did you buy a roadside service policy or an extended warranty? Good Sam sells both and they are entirely different animals.

Roadside service is for flat tires, towing and the like.

Extended warranty is for most everything else (with many exceptions).

It sounds to me like you bought an extended warranty policy.

UFO Pilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 04:54 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I am still confused. Did you buy a roadside service policy or an extended warranty? Good Sam sells both and they are entirely different animals.

Roadside service is for flat tires, towing and the like.

Extended warranty is for most everything else (with many exceptions).

It sounds to me like you bought an extended warranty policy.

This makes no sense, period! Huge chunks of information are missing. No one will pay nearly 700 bucks for tow service. Good Sam is promoting an annual fee of $79. AAA is about the same. So.... Who got the $ 700 and what was it for?? If it was for warranty and it was through Good Sam they will allow cancellation and give the money back. I know, because I've done it and got a refund.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:36 AM   #28

Yeah, there are just too many questions and very questionable information from the OP that leads me to believe he's a disgruntled troll and has issues far more than broken RV. I am no longer interested in this thread and it's contents...