Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-08-2019, 07:58 AM   #1

Goodyear or Tow-master???? HELP!

I recently purchased a Cougar 29BHS trailer. I have read here and many other places that the tires that the trailers come with are good enough to pull from the sales location to the tire shop. LOL
I have been looking at a couple different tires that get good reviews but want to get info from people that use them on comparable trailers.
The tire size is ST225/75R15. I like the tow master because it has a F rating with 12 Ply. I am concerned with the Goodyear Endurance E rating 8 Ply but I read good things about it. The price is close, so that is not a problem.
So my questions are.... Are these good tires for the trailer I have or is there a better one I should be looking at?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I’ve got the Goodyear’s on my 2018 Outdoor rv and at 7500 lbs dry weight it tows like a dream. After 2 full seasons I’m completely satisfied. One of the trips was from Portland, Oregon to Zion National Park.
pdxgwj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 09:16 AM   #3

That is the one thing I forgot to tell you. We are planning a trip from Minnesota to Banff Canada. I really don't want problems. I will repack the bearings and make sure all the "weak" points are taken care of.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #4

Rather than rely on internet chat sites such as this where many have opinions but very few have any technical training on the matter I'll refer you to a tire engineer's website specifically about RV tires. The web site is RV Tire Safety.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:09 PM   #5

Put Goodyears on last year and feel very secure pulling my TT.
boomersooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:41 PM   #6

E rating should be 10 ply and not 8 ply.

Look at Maxxis tires also in the E rated tire.
I run the same ones on my 9k TT and they are over a year old and 3k miles and look new still.

Griz
IBDAGRIZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBDAGRIZ View Post
E rating should be 10 ply and not 8 ply.
Remember that "E" rating (or any other) is an equivalency rating and no longer an actual indication of how many plies are actually in the sidewall. Had a tire engineer give a talk at a recent RV Show near me and when he told the crowd that, I wasn't the only one whose eyes got big.

If memory serves correctly, the Ply rating was specific to bias ply tires and the rating when applied to radials is an equivalency only for comparison.
RoadDogYVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:12 PM   #8

I have had the Goodyear Endurance for a year and half with 12,000 miles towing. No problems at all.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:54 PM   #9

If you have brand new China bombs they will last about 2 years. At least that is how long mine lasted before a blowout.

So if new, you have some time before the 1st blowout.

Anyway, I would buy the Goodyear Endurace and not risk an unknown tire. I am looking at trailers now. I am seeing all kinds of names on many of tires, none that I recognize.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #10

Google - goodyear tire lawsuits - and you'll quickly find they are hardly a reputable tire company and have built many so called "bombs" themselves one of them the Marathons. I don't believe for a moment Goodyear suddenly found a new formula for building better ST tires through a local workforce. No matter what continent their plants are located on, head office decides how tires are built, not the factory workers.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:50 PM   #11

Goodyear Endurance all day long. Replaced my Towmasters after 2 years, had one develop an oblong shape and another liked to pick up screws and the like. The Goodyear Endurance tire is a really good tire. Very confident and believe they improve the handling of the trailer.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #12
PKI

The initial Marathon production had a good reputation. Some folks report lots of years of use. Then Goodyear moved production to China and folks had significant reliability issues. Many failed in the first year or even on the first trip. Then the China builds improved. Only a very poor company would not work diligently to improve the quality of their product. We have a set of Marathon with 20K miles. We replaced them with two years life. Still sitting in the shed and continue to hold air. However, the reputation of the GYMs was toast with US RV owners. Goodyear stopped China Marathon production and started Endurance production in the US. It is not the same tire and to date no one is reporting any issues with the reliability of the Endurance tires. Because it is an ST tire, some owners are more comfortable with them than with LT tires.

The Maxxis tires are well perceived. There are other brands that have served their customers well. Neighbor went with Kumhos. Brother is still using a set of China bombs and he has a lot of miles on them.

Certainly research what the tire engineers recommend. It is an advantage that some post on the forums.

Do your research. Carry one or two spares. Keep inflation correct for the load. Do not overload the tires. Do not run under inflated. Inspect for belt separation, curb bruises, and odd looking tread wear. Trailer tires time out. They generally, don't wear out.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:37 PM   #13

I have an Excel travel trailer that's just under 14k loaded and have the Goodyear Endurance tires, couldn't be any happier with them.
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 05:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
The initial Marathon production had a good reputation. Some folks report lots of years of use. Then Goodyear moved production to China and folks had significant reliability issues. Many failed in the first year or even on the first trip. Then the China builds improved. Only a very poor company would not work diligently to improve the quality of their product. We have a set of Marathon with 20K miles. We replaced them with two years life. Still sitting in the shed and continue to hold air. However, the reputation of the GYMs was toast with US RV owners. Goodyear stopped China Marathon production and started Endurance production in the US. It is not the same tire and to date no one is reporting any issues with the reliability of the Endurance tires. Because it is an ST tire, some owners are more comfortable with them than with LT tires.

The Maxxis tires are well perceived. There are other brands that have served their customers well. Neighbor went with Kumhos. Brother is still using a set of China bombs and he has a lot of miles on them.

Certainly research what the tire engineers recommend. It is an advantage that some post on the forums.

Do your research. Carry one or two spares. Keep inflation correct for the load. Do not overload the tires. Do not run under inflated. Inspect for belt separation, curb bruises, and odd looking tread wear. Trailer tires time out. They generally, don't wear out.
Actually your statement about no one reporting issues is not correct. Just lake week on the GD owners forum someone reported a blow out on one of his new Endurance tires.
sellis1053 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow