Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-17-2015, 07:44 PM   #1
Gotta Wash the Trailer and Awning, any Recipes out There?

Anyone have a home-made recipe they use for washing down their TT and awning?

Or should I use a store-bought soap?

I gotta wash down my TT this weekend and the awning, which the PO put away wet and is now moldy. I was going to use just plain ol' blue Dawn dishsoap in a bucket, but want to know if paying the extra $$$ to get specialized soap is worth it.

US Army Capt. // 2009 Gulf Stream
Pro Patria // Strike Hold //
Lo Que Sea, Donde Sea, Cuando Sea
Tomaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
If you have Dollar General Stores, there is a product that comes in a spray bottle called "Totally Awesome". This sells for a $ 1.00 a bottle. True to it's name, it cleans most everything and does a great job for a great price. I would continue to buy this product if it wen't up to $10.00 a bottle because it works. Give it a try and see what you think.

RoadyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Clean it with super clean it's a blue bottle you can get it at Home Depot and auto zone also buy some simple green mix them in a bucket with water nothing better then that I would only do the roof with the Dicor roof cleaner or plain car soap

2014 wildwood 27rlss
2005 Chevy 2500HD crew cab
Rich,242014 wildwood 27RLSS travel trailer
2005 Chevy Silverado 2500HD crew cab
2005 GMC Sierra 3500 single cab dump
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:02 AM   #4
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Depends on what the siding is.
On the rubber roof, they recommend Dawn dish soap, and a mild bristle scrub brush. On the sides I use car wash soap. Use the Totally Awesome or the Super Clean on the awning, but don't get it on the sides. and use plenty of clean water on all.
03 Silverado cclb 3500 drw, D/A, Reese 22k hitch
07 Alfa SeeYa Gold 30RL,2 slides,power everything
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
Automotive car wash, a good sponge or wash mitt for the body and roof, and a medium bristle bush for the awning along with some personal elbow grease. There is no magic potion better though many claim miracles will happen if you use their product (the only 'miracle' is the claim and you parting with the extra dollars). Thetford (and Camco) make awning cleaners, but I've not had any better luck then with the car wash. Black streak cleaners will clean them off well but any wax or polish goes as too. Do not scrub the roof hard if it's a rubber roof. You are taking life out of it. Just a good wash down - and those deep stains - they may stay forever.
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:33 AM   #6
Our awning manual has this recipe for cleaning:

1/4 cup dish soap
1/4 cup bleach
5 gal warm water
Mix together and apply to the top of the fabric. Roll up the awning for 5 minutes then unroll and rinse both sides. Repeat if necessary and let dry before storing.

Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote