Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2016, 11:00 AM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
GPS

I've used GPS systems for locating towers and doing FCC and FAA stuff, but have never used one on the road for navigation. We are considering a Garmin 2589LMT for our upcoming retirement jaunts across America. Does anyone else out there in RV Land use this system... or others? Please give us a good picture of how well you like your unit, regardless of brand. Thanks in advance!
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Neighbor from greater downtown Mansfield, Tx

IMHO, Garmin is the best and only mfg I would get a gps from...
it's their only business and they have to do it right !

you are smart to get an lmt unit as they update the maps , etc regularly... but you might consider an rv specific unit that can assist with places you SHOULDN'T drag your rv through...

While many use their phones for Navigation and I could in that I have unlimited minutes, we are on our fifth or sixth Garmin (an RV760) because it just works!

I use it for a backup camera in my jeep towed when it's not in the rv... I got all the cables, etc.. to hook it up on the back of our previous 5'er but ended up trading it - so if you want the long cable for backup camera use - give me a ping...

good luck...
Old 09-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
I too recommend an RV specific unit but my wife and I still run a second unit to compare the information being given. The second unit serves as the primary unit in the towed when we are wandering the country in it. Having auto update features is necessary because of all the construction of newer roads bypassing cities.

Our unit is the Rand McNally 7720 and we like it very much once we figured out what settings we liked and which we didn't and how to keep everything the way we wanted. A friend of ours has the same unit and was not happy with it until we compared notes and he adopted our settings and now he is happier than heck with his units performance. BTW the service department at Rand McNally has been great helping sort out problems when we first started using it.

Our towed unit is going on eight years old and will soon be replaced but I'm not sure what we will get for that job.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

Garmin, for RV use.. RV760, RV660 or Truck 770.. all LMT's.

I have a 2597LMT, 3 1/2 years old.(purchased NEW). a good unit... with the BC-30 backup camera.. I also use it on the motorcycle.. so it lives a difficult life. rain/dirt/bugs, aka no windshield.

I have used 2 other brands in the past.. Garmin.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 01:33 PM   #5

garmin

i also recommend a Garmin specific unit, mine can be set for auto or rv, used

it this past June on a trip to South Carolina

Jim
sprayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 05:48 AM   #6

I'll vote yes on the Garmins too. I had a Magellan and it couldn't find nuthin!
Old 10-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
I'm looking also. We just completed a trip where the wireless devices just didn't cut it for navigation. We even had service with two different carriers (Verizon and Sprint). Does anybody know if the RV760 LMT shows rest areas, picnic areas, and parking areas? We found an App that shows rest areas only, but it is dependent on having cell service.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #8

The app CoPilot (for iPhone at least) is a good navigation app because it lets you download all the maps and once you have downloaded them you don't need a internet connection to use it. I bought the extras and have used it quite a bit now and it works very well. Well worth the low cost and much easier to use than my in dash GPS in my F150. CoPilot allows you to drag your route to make changes, has voice navigation and has an RV mode, among many other features. We like it.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
This is the Travel Trailer forum. Some folks posting are not driving travel trailers and tow vehicles, so double check the back up camera systems will work.

My phone apps have become more useful to me, and I already have the smart phone, so why lay out hundreds of dollars for something else to go up in the windshield? It's not an airplane, no need for redundant systems.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
This is the Travel Trailer forum. Some folks posting are not driving travel trailers and tow vehicles, so double check the back up camera systems will work.
When Denise and I had a TT we had a rear view wireless system that worked between the back of the TT (20 foot unit) and the dash screen in our Grande Cherokee Laredo. It took a judicious installation with the camera antenna having to be placed in a position to give a clear back to front signal for good reception.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
When Denise and I had a TT we had a rear view wireless system that worked between the back of the TT (20 foot unit) and the dash screen in our Grande Cherokee Laredo. It took a judicious installation with the camera antenna having to be placed in a position to give a clear back to front signal for good reception.
Bingo! The very reason for my post. Just because a thing says it will do something doesn't mean it will do it easily with *your* stuff.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:59 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
Bingo! The very reason for my post. Just because a thing says it will do something doesn't mean it will do it easily with *your* stuff.
I should also mention that I also hooked the monitor up to a switch for powering it on and off but hooked the camera into the running lights so that I could turn on the clearance lights and turn on the monitor to watch those people who like to slip stream a slow moving Jeep and TT.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
JonBoyToo.... Beautiful Downtown Mansfield! We lived in Rendon for 23 years and were members of FBC Mansfield for quite a few years. Thanks for all the replies. We'll be looking for a unit we can set up for either car or RV. I agree about the smart phone... if you have one you don't need a GPS, but, I don't have or want one. I want a phone to ring, dial, and talk. I know that makes me some kind of a dinosaur, but, I play a simple wood guitar and fly airplanes without engines... so I guess that would be right. Maybe it makes me pterodactyl...
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
JonBoyToo.... Beautiful Downtown Mansfield! We lived in Rendon for 23 years and were members of FBC Mansfield for quite a few years. Thanks for all the replies. We'll be looking for a unit we can set up for either car or RV. I agree about the smart phone... if you have one you don't need a GPS, but, I don't have or want one. I want a phone to ring, dial, and talk. I know that makes me some kind of a dinosaur, but, I play a simple wood guitar and fly airplanes without engines... so I guess that would be right. Maybe it makes me pterodactyl...
Flip Phone user/owner here also. wife also.

my Garmin 2597 and a BC-30 camera... with extension cable... no interference .. truck is 20 feet and trailer is 33 plus.. and camera is wired to tail lights.. so I can turn it on / off when needed..
to see bikes on rack, cars behind for lane changing... and trees/pick-nick tables when backing trailer.

Garmin 2597LMT today is $120 . but mine is 3 1/2 years old.
BC-30 , best buy is $130. purchased 3 months ago
extension cable is $30. purchased 3 months ago.

transmitter is mounted to propane bracket and under propane cover.
camera is mounted to trailer rear window frame..
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps