Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

Grand Design 2800BH

I am looking at the 2800bh and it is very nice but I don't think it has one thing I really want and I am shocked it doesn't being that it is supposed to be on the higher end of things.... so many TT are now coming with the option to place a tv outside, plug, cable connection already right there ready to go along with a bracket for the TV to hang on... I dont see this on the grand design!!!

Just when I think I have found THE ONE.. boom.. start looking for key things I want and something is missing.. in this case the TV is the biggest issue but I also really would like a u shaped dinette.....

Just making sure I am not missing something, but so far I don't see and I have watched videos etc.

Also it looks like grand design uses osb vs. plywood... thats another head scratcher for me... I will need to research this more as well...

I was pretty sold on jayco whitehawk version of this floor plan as it has everything.. I think.. but then I discovered it only has a gray tank capacity of 30.5!!! oh my gosh... we camp at state parks sometimes, this summer we have a week planned and I know I will be super frustrated with this issue..

Thanks so much!
texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2019, 11:51 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Look at ORV, (Outdoors RV). They have larger tanks. 40 black and gray with 80 fresh and 10 gallon water heaters is the norm in most of their floorplans. And marine plywood is the only wood in them other than hardwoods for cabinetry. No OSB anywhere.

As for the cable hookup and mount for the TV those can both be added pretty easy.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 AM   #3

Have you looked at Winnebago? They bought out Grand Design and are carrying some of GD's floor pans. Winnies are a step up from the Imagine line. No OSB and better interior finishes. No outside tv mount. But that would be the last thing I'd be worried about. All that can be added as a DIY.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...HSS-5006548164

Forest River makes a similar BH. No OSB and good tanks.

One thing to watch for is the trailers CCC. GD is on the low side. The TT will be maxed out after loading it with yours and the kids stuff.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 10:57 AM   #4

Thanks to yall! I have figured out the the tv is least of my worries and can be added.. so I really appreciate your suggestions.. I will look at winnie and flagstaff!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:09 PM   #5

heat vents in floor??

So I looked at the winnie and flagstaff, I am not liking heat vents in floor.... thoughts? I saw a rockwood that looked identical to flagstaff and that was my main issue, maybe is shouldn't be? On the winnie, the couch has no arms... otherwise love the wider bunk beds look comfy etc.. super nice..

other concern not having door into bedroom means must have slide out to load because can't access bedroom with slide in, right?
Old 03-29-2019, 01:17 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you want a higher quality / more rugged RV trailer look at the Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 288bks It's a new floorplan, so the details are not fully available.

Their made for shoulder season camping, off-grid camping with larger tanks (80 gal. fresh, 45-90 gal gray) full 1" baggage doors, 10 gal. hot water, double pane windows, MorRyde 3000 suspension with shocks and 16'" Goodyears, Marine grade plywood, full 5" roof edge to edge, known for larger dinette tables. Yes they are heavy...1000-1500 lbs more.

Looking at price on RVtrader they can be had for about the same price as a Imagine depending what part of the country you are in.

We have the slightly smaller Timber Ridge 24 rks with far more storage space than any Imagine. We looked at the Imagine 2400BH which had very little storage.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 01:46 PM   #7

My Rockwood came with all the outdoor stuff for the tv.......but the coax was in pass thru, so rewired that and added connections in the 120 volt outside plug right next to the tv area.....so now have satellite, cable/antenna right handy....Flagstaff and Rockwoods are made on the same line....back when this one was made, they cared about what they put out the door.....nowadays, don't know, cause this one's a keeper...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #8

Most furniture in RV's is junk and after a few years will be shot. Unless you spend some big $$$$ then looking at trailers in the Imagine class you'll be very disappointed in the furniture.
Trying to find the exact RV with everything is going to be fruitless. What you need to do is concentrate on the floor plan and the construction. Everything else like furniture and outside tv can be DIY'd.

As far as floor vents goes, if you don't want floor vents then you need to find a trailer that has a sandwiched floor. It generally won't be a strong a 5/8-3/4" plywood. The reason you see vents in the floors is because it has a plywood floor.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:10 AM   #9

OK texgirl we have a 2018 Winnebago 2250DS and love it. I think I can address some of your issues. It does have a U shaped dining area in the slideout.

It does have a cable connection and power for an external TV. Also a backer location for the TV mount. This is under the awning.

The bedroom can be accessed by moving the slide out about 10".

The floor heat vents are one of the best features. During freezing weather the heat lines feeding the vents help keep the gray, black, and fresh water tanks from freezing. When not using heat I cover the floor vents with a carpet runner.

We also take our DirecTV system along.

Bigbird65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #10

We just towed our new winnie 2455bhs home a couple days ago. It has a backer/coax/plug in place ready for an outdoor tv. We're not big on tv when camping so we'll prob never use it but it's ready. The front queen bed has accordian doors on both sides so the bed can be accessed when the slide is in. Fridge door opens and you can access the bathroom with the slide closed as well. These features we're important to us because when you're just stopping for a night it can be easier to depart if the slide stays in. Also good for overnights where it's inappropriate to open the slide.

The floor vents also keep the underbelly warm. It's not a 4 season trailer for cold weather camping but nice to know the tanks won't freeze during a cold snap in the fall. We looked at the grand design fraternal twin of the minnie 2455 but the lack of bedroom or fridge access with the slide closed was a deal breaker. Of all the trailers we looked at the 2455 was the best fit for our needs. Very happy with the quality/fit/finish. It's a really nice trailer for the price but ORV/Northwood are definitely nicer. Heavier though and we tow with a half ton. If we got an ORV I would have had to trade my truck for a 3/4 ton. Everything does have tradeoffs in travel trailer land.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 09:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Most furniture in RV's is junk and after a few years will be shot. Unless you spend some big $$$$ then looking at trailers in the Imagine class you'll be very disappointed in the furniture.
Trying to find the exact RV with everything is going to be fruitless. What you need to do is concentrate on the floor plan and the construction. Everything else like furniture and outside tv can be DIY'd.

As far as floor vents goes, if you don't want floor vents then you need to find a trailer that has a sandwiched floor. It generally won't be a strong a 5/8-3/4" plywood. The reason you see vents in the floors is because it has a plywood floor.
good to know! floor vents seem like more of a plus.. interesting... thanks for the advice, I agree, floor plan and construction.. most important!!
Old 03-30-2019, 09:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobChill View Post
We just towed our new winnie 2455bhs home a couple days ago. It has a backer/coax/plug in place ready for an outdoor tv. We're not big on tv when camping so we'll prob never use it but it's ready. The front queen bed has accordian doors on both sides so the bed can be accessed when the slide is in. Fridge door opens and you can access the bathroom with the slide closed as well. These features we're important to us because when you're just stopping for a night it can be easier to depart if the slide stays in. Also good for overnights where it's inappropriate to open the slide.

The floor vents also keep the underbelly warm. It's not a 4 season trailer for cold weather camping but nice to know the tanks won't freeze during a cold snap in the fall. We looked at the grand design fraternal twin of the minnie 2455 but the lack of bedroom or fridge access with the slide closed was a deal breaker. Of all the trailers we looked at the 2455 was the best fit for our needs. Very happy with the quality/fit/finish. It's a really nice trailer for the price but ORV/Northwood are definitely nicer. Heavier though and we tow with a half ton. If we got an ORV I would have had to trade my truck for a 3/4 ton. Everything does have tradeoffs in travel trailer land.
We don't watch tv too much when camping either.. but there are times when I need to see my college footaball or pro football, baseball etc.. and I like to have that option! And since we like to be outside when camping, I like to watch it outside! thanks for the info... looks like I need to get over the floor vents.. the only thing I didn't like about the winnie was the couch as no arms... I thought that was weird.. also not sure how it folds into a bed. but I love the winnebago brand...I do want to be able to access fridge etc, same reasons you mention....
Old 03-30-2019, 09:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbird65 View Post
OK texgirl we have a 2018 Winnebago 2250DS and love it. I think I can address some of your issues. It does have a U shaped dining area in the slideout.

It does have a cable connection and power for an external TV. Also a backer location for the TV mount. This is under the awning.

The bedroom can be accessed by moving the slide out about 10".

The floor heat vents are one of the best features. During freezing weather the heat lines feeding the vents help keep the gray, black, and fresh water tanks from freezing. When not using heat I cover the floor vents with a carpet runner.

We also take our DirecTV system along.

Thanks for all the awesome pics!! and other info, really appreciate it!! This forum is so helpful.....
Old 04-01-2019, 05:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by texgirl View Post
Thanks for all the awesome pics!! and other info, really appreciate it!! This forum is so helpful.....
I've had trailers with floor vents and without. I would never go back to floor vents. The heat ducts for either style run under the floor of the trailer and accomplish the same radiant heating near tanks. I don't miss stepping on floor vents, cleaning out the crap that falls into them, seeing them or accidently putting a chair leg on one. The toe kick vent in the living area of my trailer is 3 sided and heats the room quickly and evenly. The in wall vents in bed and bath have directional grilles and also work quite well.
Chiefblueman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
momentum, reflection