Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #1

Grand Design Imagine Trailers Whatsup?

A few years ago Grand Design Trailers we're at the top of their game. Great customer service, great product and quality control. But reading some comments on other sites from owners, things have changed. What gives?
PaulE253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2017, 11:51 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Was bought by Winnebago, just like Sunnybrook was a few years ago. Remember Sunnybrook? They were a nice built TT. Winnebago suspended their production a few years after they bought them due to "low sales". I just wonder what Winnebago plans for GD? Remember, the best way to control or beat your competition is to own them.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 12:51 PM   #3

I know an RV tech and he says they (GD) are still some of the best.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #4

Our GD Momentum is great so far (one year anniversary). Time will tell I guess, but no complaints about customer service when we had some minor things corrected this past winter.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #5

You need to pick thru the problems and figure out what are caused by GD and what are caused by outside sources like the AC, fridge, grease seals. etc. Or caused by GD like leaks, fit and finish, etc.
JMO but it looks like GD got too big for the customer service first mantra. It was easy for them to handle all the small complaints when they weren't selling as many units. Now that they've branched out with 5 lines they're IMO a little overwhelmed like most all RV MFG's today are. Most are selling more than they can build and the supply of workers is dwindling. Most that get hired now IMO are the bottom of the barrel types.
I would put GD quality above most everything else coming out of Elkhart Id.
They would be 3rd on my list.
#1 Northwood/ORV
#2 Lance
#3 Grand Design
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #6

The two other trailer brands you list are very good models. The only problem is that the Northwood/ORV does not have any dealerships in the Southeast US, so if you every encountered a warranty problem you would be SOL. And the Lance product which I have seen are indeed a quality trailer, but limits its' size to smaller trailers under 26 feet. Too bad because they are offered for sale at a dealer less then a hour from me. The only reason my impression of the GD has change is due to some of the customer's reviews of problem which they have encountered. Y'all are right about the take over by Winnebago. These takeovers of small RV companies by larger corporations is just another thing that causes a lot of problems for the consumer. If you Google the two major corporations of Forest River and Thor, you will see that they owner the majority of RV companies. So now they can produce a inferior product, with some major concerns and we the buyer are stuck. So who looks out for the consumer? Certainly not RVIA, who gets a few for every RV to put a seal on the outside of your vehicle. It's all about the money!
PaulE253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #7

You can get a Northwood or ORV serviced anywhere. All you need to do is call either one and get pre-authorization and they will set you up with a repair facility close by. BTDT.
There's this persona that GD is the only MFG that works with customers better than any other. Not true. I call Northwood when ever I need and talk directly to a tech/service rep and get any help I need. I think what has happened is with the larger MFG like Keystone, Heartland, and Forest River is that sometimes customers get lost in the cracks. So there's this persona that ALL MFG's are terrible except GD.
You know like ALL ST tires made in China are bad. When in fact millions of users have no trouble.
I think the bigness aspect has caught up with GD. When you grow that fast there's going to be growing pains. Quality will suffer and so will support.

OT a little but yeah Lance doesn't offer what we like. But that doesn't take away from the construction quality.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer