Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2017, 02:05 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Grand Design Imagine vs Open Range Ultra Lite

Currently own a 2017 Grand Design Imagine 2950RL. Had multiple issues with it in the short time we've had it. We picked it up in October 2016 and after one trip it currently sits at a repair facility having warranty work done due to various leaks and roof issues. Trying to decide if trading it in for a 2017 Highland Ridge Open Range Ultra Lite 2910RL is a better choice or if we'd be in for the same problems or possibly worse!

The floor plan is the same, just a weight difference really. But we would rather be confident in our rig. Wondering if anyone has experience with either one that could shed some light on what we could be facing with either one.

We know almost all new rigs have issues, its just really what issues we are willing to deal with that would make the difference.

Thanks!
Lathrop831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2017, 02:14 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I'd hate to take the financial hit. If the dealer doesn't fix it perfectly, take it to the manufacturer and be a squeaky wheel.

Good luck.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:07 PM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
I have to agree with Buzz... Make 'em fix it and count up the time it's in for repair. Make sure they extend the warranty for those days. I've been fortunate with my 3 trailers, and have had 0 major issues. I've fixed all the minor ones myself, except for the dvd player which the dealer fixed promptly. Seems like they all make good ones and they all make lemons. Sorry for your problems.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
We have looked at the G D Imagine and would say I was not impressed. Yes, it is better than most lower price point trailers.

In the future we have at least 3 RV's on the radar screen. Arctic Fox, Outdoors RV and Highland Ridge Light. The Light is one model above the Highland Ridge Ultra Lite. The Ultra Lite in my opinion was designed for a certain price point to compete with the likes of the Imagine. I thought there was a fairly big difference between the Ultra Lite and the Light. Of course there is the cost and to some extent the Light's weigh more.

With any RV, you are going to have warranty stuff to handle. Small stuff I'll take care of myself.

What roof issues are you having? Unless you have a "lemon" and the Grand Design confirms that, you are going to get killed on any deal you go forward with. You might come out better if you are dealing with the dealer that sold you the Imagine, because they can sell it as a almost new 2017 unit, but once you go to another dealer, you will only get wholesale on your Imagine tt.

One thing that came to mind on the Highland Ultra Lite's (2017) was the free-standing dinette table was very unstable. Even the sales-person said it was bad. Not sure if it was the same table in all 2017 floorplans
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I suggest you get it fixed and polished and sell it. Winnebago has bought them and their fate will probably be like Sunnybrook. Gone.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:01 AM   #6

I would try to get your trailer repaired and use it, you will take a big hit in trading it off. Have you contacted GD directly? they are supposedly very responsive to customer issues and want to make sure your trailer is taken care of. You might also want to post over on the Grand Design owners forum, the manufacturer looks at a few of the sections over there.
Old 02-25-2017, 10:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
I suggest you get it fixed and polished and sell it. Winnebago has bought them and their fate will probably be like Sunnybrook. Gone.
I highly doubt that will happen. From all accounts every things still run the same way. I do however wonder why the 3 CEO's sold it. Could've been a simple as they did what they accomplished and want to explore something else. Or they could see the writing on the wall in that Grand Design has gotten so big that it's becoming harder to maintain the same enthusiasm towards customer service that they built their reputation on.
I will say one thing positive about GD. They have really shaken up the trailer world with some inovative floor plans. I wish more towable MFG's would step outside the box. So many towables are just the same ole floorplans rehashed with different bling.
Reminds me of how Harely's were or are. When I was riding MC's I was into current trends. HD just took the same bike, changed some features and called it a different model. But underneath it was the same platform.
Kudos to GD for trying.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

One reason for the sale to Winnebago was THOR and FR starting to buy all the suppliers up. Was gonna make getting the accessories for building difficult for GD. Winnebago makes much of their stuff in house. Helps cost and hopefully quality. Anyone know if GD still using OSB for their flooring? WB uses 5/8 T&G plywood. WB did eliminste a lot of models...wonder if they plan to fill the gaps with GD rebadged as WB's?
sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #9

I spoke to a GD Rep last week at Harrisburg RV Show, according to him there is no plans to dissolve GD. Apparently two of the three owners are still in the business. The third had to sell for some reason so that upset the financial cart. I for one is very impressed with GD assembly quality compared to the junk Thor and FR builds. It's no Newmar but they have a good thing going. It's unfortunate about the roof problem. I hope they repair and make good with it or you may want to seek professional legal advice. In regards to the plywood vs OSB, my Jayco has TG plywood and it sucks. The floor has squeaks everywhere and they move every time we take the POS out. I will never buy a RV with TG plywood again. A single sheet of OSB is nice idea. If you have leak, your screwed with plywood or OSB...
engineer78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #10

Doesn't GD use a laminated floor? One or two pieces of luan over aluminum and foam framing. Same as a wall. I've read many times about people getting soft spots in laminated floors. Luan is only 1/8" thick.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote