RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2019, 01:49 PM   #1

Grand Design vs Jayco, vs. Winnie Plus

We are trying to decide on a TT... leaning towards GD mainly because of weight, length best fit for our truck. I really like the Jayco and Winnie also but I think they are too heavy but I am also very concerned with quality... just sold my Thor motorhome and am very concerned that Thor has purchased jayco. Any opinions on these brands, quality wise?

Just read on GD forum that someone has a bad delamination issue...I think this is rare.. but I don't want to make a purchase mistake.

Really like the jayco 29bh and winnie plus similar floor plan also.

Thanks.. KIM

texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #2

If you look at the Fiberglass on the Mini Plus you will see a very high quality. Much better than other trailers. You can even pick an optional color.

Heavy usually means better build quality IMHO.

I am also looking at Grand Design and Winnebago Mini Plus models. I am leaning toward the Mini Plus.

You can order a Mini Plus with BAL auto leveling which is really a nice option.

I have a F-250 in anticipation of towing a Mini Plus.

tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:54 PM   #3

If corporate ownership is a concern, just get the one you like between Grand Design, and Winnebago Minnie Plus.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKCN123167

FWIW, Winnebago bought out prior Industry favorite Sunnybrook, to get into the towables business somewhere around 2012. They seemed to generally continue the overall Sunnybrook designs, but have changed a few features in recent years. Still a step above most of the other brands IMO.
Normal_Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:52 AM   #4

The Winnebago Minnie trailer we owned was a very good trailer and served us well. Winnebago quality has been very good overall but there have been some folks that have had issues and some trailers have come off the assembly line with some sloppy work, but the majority seem to be on the better side. Grand Design made quite a name for itself when it was an independent company but is now owned by Winnebago. I'd compare the construction and materials of the models you are interested in and then make your decision. Based on what I've seen (not much in the past 2 years), I don't think newer Jayco trailers are up to the same standard as Winnebago or Grand Design and the company is now owned by Thor. I'd check out the Jayco owners forum and see what newer owners are reporting. If you have a good dealer, the 2 year warranty on the Jayco products is a plus.

Overall, if I were ever to go back to having a travel trailer, I'd be leaning towards finding a trailer that is a true 4 season trailer or as close to as possible as the added insulation not only helps in cooler/cold weather but helps with AC efficiency. Get a ducted AC system to help reduce AC noise. Double pane windows are nice....no condensation and they help block outside noise. Have looked at Lance trailers? Pricey but they really have a lot of nice options!! Or, consider Arctic Fox/Northwood products due to their 4 season capability.

Good luck in your search!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #5

We bought a 2019 Minnie plus 26rbss and are happy thus far. It had the same layout as the Grand Design we liked. Got the 4 season package with duo pane windows. We skipped the auto leveling system which was an extra 2000 dollars. It would have been nice but not worth that much extra for me anyways. We used it once when we bought it last fall and it was very comfortable with freezing temps during the night. We left it at our cottage in northern Michigan and will find out in a week if it got through the winter ok. Fingers crossed. What led us there vs the Jayco was indoor quality. There is a Jayco dealer in town and we wanted to support locallly and we looked dozens of times. They all look pretty when you first look but if you can sit in them a while you start learning things. We really liked one of the Jayco models and we accidentally pressed the recliner against the kitchen counter with very little pressure and it tore through the material. We started to realize after looking closely at all the furniture it was very cheaply built. The interior of the Minnie plus was far more quality. We opted for the theater seating since it’s purpose is a couples camper for our winters in Florida and won’t have company anyways. It was a bunch more money than the Jayco, but it shouldn’t look torn up after a few years like I suspected the Jayco would. Feel free to ask anything if I left anything out.
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #6

During our last tour at a local RV show we looked at several Winnies. Had already toured enough GD's and Jayco's to know what they're about. JMHO I think the Winnie is the better made and appointed TT.
Flame me if you want but I think the GD Imagines are cheap and bland. Winnies have much better colors and a nicer feel to them when inside.

Winnebago bought out Grand Design a couple years ago. GD's quality has stayed the same from what I've read on the GD owners forum.

Looked at many Jayco's as well.
FWIW my rankings are;
Winnie Plus
Jayco Whitehawk
GD Imagine
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:48 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
If you look at the Fiberglass on the Mini Plus you will see a very high quality. Much better than other trailers. You can even pick an optional color.

Heavy usually means better build quality IMHO.

I am also looking at Grand Design and Winnebago Mini Plus models. I am leaning toward the Mini Plus.

You can order a Mini Plus with BAL auto leveling which is really a nice option.

I have a F-250 in anticipation of towing a Mini Plus.
Your lucky you have the f250! I prefer minni plus also, except that it doesn't have the 2nd door into the bedroom.. I think that is a miss for loading.. but still love it..
Old 05-03-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
During our last tour at a local RV show we looked at several Winnies. Had already toured enough GD's and Jayco's to know what they're about. JMHO I think the Winnie is the better made and appointed TT.
Flame me if you want but I think the GD Imagines are cheap and bland. Winnies have much better colors and a nicer feel to them when inside.

Winnebago bought out Grand Design a couple years ago. GD's quality has stayed the same from what I've read on the GD owners forum.

Looked at many Jayco's as well.
FWIW my rankings are;
Winnie Plus
Jayco Whitehawk
GD Imagine
I hear ya.. and agree... my issue is my truck.... so we may be stuck with GD ... love the winnie colors... not sure if I would be brave enough but I love them!!
Old 05-03-2019, 10:06 AM   #9

All, I really appreciate your advice... I like the Winnie, Jayco then GD but I do worry ALOT about Jayco quality after being bought by Thor.. just sold a Thor motorhome... ugh.. pretty much ruined our idea of owning one....

anyway, unfortunately I think I am limited to GD due to my truck... 2015 f150 eco... when we bought the truck new... we thought it could tow more! Oh well..
Old 09-25-2019, 08:45 PM   #10

Send a message via ICQ to randyandally Send a message via AIM to randyandally
GVWR of Winnie

I sell Winnebago Towables you might chat UVW (unloaded vehicle weight) rating is what the trailer actually weighed before it was shipped out. GVW refers to how much the axles will carry or Gross vehicle weight rating. The Winnebago trailers have really strong axles. In many cases Winnebago unloaded weight will be less than a comparable Grand Design it is just built stronger to hold more.
randyandally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:32 AM   #11

I bought a F-250 because it was about the same price as the F-150. And again with anticipation of towing a Winnebago Mini Plus.

But since then Flagstaff and Rockwood trailers have hit my radar. I have looked at Flagstaff trailers twice now and both times came away impressed. Flagstaff and Rockwood are the same build quality. They have a lot of features that the Winnebago does not have, like washer / drier prep in a travel trailer, wifi booster, solid steps, TPMS, and a very solid feel.

I have also looked at Lance trailers. They are expensive and very well built. They are a bit quarky imho as they are built to be towed by 150/1500 series trucks. They are more areodynamic and lower then other trailers. Inside the ceiling is not as high. Easier to heat and cool. The furniture is top notch and comfortable. They are worth a look if you have a dealer close.
Old 09-26-2019, 05:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I bought a F-250 because it was about the same price as the F-150. And again with anticipation of towing a Winnebago Mini Plus.

But since then Flagstaff and Rockwood trailers have hit my radar. I have looked at Flagstaff trailers twice now and both times came away impressed. Flagstaff and Rockwood are the same build quality. They have a lot of features that the Winnebago does not have, like washer / drier prep in a travel trailer, wifi booster, solid steps, TPMS, and a very solid feel.

I have also looked at Lance trailers. They are expensive and very well built. They are a bit quarky imho as they are built to be towed by 150/1500 series trucks. They are more areodynamic and lower then other trailers. Inside the ceiling is not as high. Easier to heat and cool. The furniture is top notch and comfortable. They are worth a look if you have a dealer close.
If the Lance were 2" taller inside, I would have one already. The quality is great, but I am not a fan of rubbing my head on the ceiling and hitting it hard on the AC and room separator. If you are 6'2" or less, they are great.
Shutterbug57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #13

Did you make a decision yet?
Old 09-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #14

Sounds like the Winnebago is going to Azdel according to the RV Nerd...to add to the already complicated decision calculus

Sky1926 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grand design rv, jayco