Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Gray/black tanks dump system.....am I nuts or am I missing something ?

I will be as brief as I can be. I just bought a Denali 289RK. It has 2 gray tanks (one up front and one in the back). The one in the back is for the kitchen and has its own dump valve. The one up front is for the bathroom and is tied in with the black tank.
Normally when the black and gray tanks are tied together, the gray ties into the dump line down stream from the black tank valve so you can dump the gray if it is full and the black tank can stay isolated (correct so far??)
The under carriage of the Denali is all sealed so I can't see what is going on, but I know one thing for sure right now......in order to dump my front gray tank, the black tank is dumping right along with the gray tank. The gray tank is tied into the dump line up-stream of the black tank dump valve, not down stream to be able to keep the black tank isolated.
I really hope I haven't confused everyone, because I need some help. If this is designed this way, and not a build screw up, all their engineers should be fired.
Their paperwork says that the black tank level should be at least 3/4 full before dumping the tank. The way it's set up now, if the gray is full and the black is at 1/4, the black is getting dumped way too soon
Can anyone help me?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2.
Are you sure you have a gray tank in bathroom area.
In most cases the toilet and sink share the same black tank and it gets filled by both toilet and sink.
Gray tanks should not be tied into black tank system.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #3

I'm sure about the gray and black tanks. One gray tank for kitchen sink, one gray tank for bathroom sink/shower, one black tank for toilet. The dump valve/line for the bathroom gray tank ties in on the toilet side of the dump valve for the black tank. To dump the gray tank you have to open the 2" gray tank line and then the 3" valve that you hook up the stinky slinky to. When that 3" valve is opened, out pours the black tank.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Than they have missed installing the 3" dump valve for your black tank, Gray 2" do run into 3" dump pipes but the 3" PIPE from black tank needs a gate valve to close it off.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #5

Gray black tank

On my trailer I have a 1 cable valve in the front for kitchen gray water. I have a 1 cable gray water valve near the drain for shower and bath sink. I have a 3 cable valve for the toilet. That is the normal way for two gray tanks.
Old 05-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #6

on my Z-1 that I just bought and will get tomorrow I noticed that there are three dump valves. Grey for the Kitchen and the bathroom sinks, then a Grey for the Tub by itself and then a Black for the sewer. the kitchen and bathroon sinks empty via a smaller line to a "T" where the Black tank connects so when its time to dump sewer I can do that and then close it and open the kicthe/bathroom sinks Grey to rinse the sewage out of the lines and stink slinky. The Tub I would think will just sit connected to the dump hole and open so we can shower for as long as the 6 galloe DSI can produce hot water. I would like to get another "T" to hook all the connectors together and then I only have to pull and push the gates to dump when on long weekends without having to move the slinky around.

One thing though, IF I were to leave the tub gate open would any fumes from the campground sewer seep into the TT? Anyone have that experience?
Old 05-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #7

Some campgrounds I have been to have a lot of back pressure coming from the sewer for whatever reason. I am afraid that if you left the valve open it would force its way into the travel trailer. I did this on the sink greywater valve once while I was there and I got that "odor" in the TT and had a hunt to find the problem until I remembered that I had been draining the greywater and forgot to close the valve. I have a tee fitting that I have put on two drain hoses and then run it to the sewer so any tank can be drained without moving anything around, but its too much trouble to fool with unless I am staying in one place for awhile.

Mark, I have the same arrangement on a Komfort TT, and it definitely has the black water valve upstream of the grey water coming from the shower. Did you get yours figured out yet?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:58 PM   #8

Sorry, thought I had posted the resolution. My new TT was most likely made on a Monday or a Friday. I went to a dealer a bit closer than the one I bought it from and my plumbing was WAY off. Rookie on the line, someone who can't read? The dealer had to verify the warranty repair with the factory with pictures before any repairs were authorized. No problem with the factory, no problem with the dealer and got the TT back just in time for our first trip. A valve was added to the black line above where the gray line ties in. Works like a charm! Thanks for the responses.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #9

Wow, now that is something to check on the PDI! I hope that is the worst problem you ever have with your new TT!
Old 05-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to mike.t Send a message via MSN to mike.t Send a message via Yahoo to mike.t
"Rookie on the line, someone who can't read?" But only on Monday or Friday?
Old 05-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #11

The gray water drain lines should have p traps in them to block any odor travel back up the line. We always leave our gray tank open to the drain line when in a full-hookup campground--no odor problem.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank