Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 10:34 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Grease seals & when to grease? How much?

I have what Aerolite calls "Easy Lub Hubs" I pull the small rubber covers off and see the grease fitting. Since this is the start of my 3rd season exactly how much should I grease each of the 4 wheel bearing? and how often?

Would have to say I have 4 to 5k on the trailer. On my last 05' tt I had the wheel bearing re-packed every two years.

Here is a picture of them Grease seals

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 10:56 PM   #2

Good question! I'm also interested in some guidance on this topic.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I have a 200 mile trip tomorrow and was thinking about pumping a little grease in each. Just didn't know how much.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:23 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
drive your trailer up on a board so the axle you want to grease can spin, then spin that tire while you grease, that way it spreads the grease all around the hub, do the same thing for the rest of them, spin it and hit it with 5 or 6 pumps, but the best way is to remove the bearing and repack them by hand, gives you a way to check your breaks while your in there
2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #6

None. This is not a replacement for regular maintenance. If your grease seals fail while doing this, you will have to replace all brake components, and clean the drums out, as well as slop out all that grease you put in, and then you'll be cussing yourself for making a mess like that.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #7

The guy in the video doesn't know how to use a grease gun, uses a leaking jack, uses any grease even if not specified for bearings, doesn't check bearing play, doesn't check brake linings, doesn't adjust brakes and doesn't check lug nut torque. If only the real world would be this simple.

Forget the silly grease fitting and service you hubs properly.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #8

Pump in the new grease till the old starts to come out the front. If the old doesn't come out the front then it's probably oozing out the rear seal.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:54 AM   #9

I would do as posted,,, hand pack the bearings... That way you know they look good, (bearing races, etc) brakes are good, etc... Sure it takes a little more time,,, but at my age, peace of mind means A Lot..... Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Pump in the new grease till the old starts to come out the front. If the old doesn't come out the front then it's probably oozing out the rear seal.
Wondering why you'd risk brake linings with grease impregnation?
Old 06-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #11

On my tt, the first time I pumped grease in the bearing, I thought, oh Cr*p, the seal is blown, and I thought I'd have to pull the drum and all that, but ok, it needs grease anyway, so nothing terribly lost. Then I realized it took a good part of a tube to fill up the cavity in the hub and get the grease back out through the front bearing. Ok, so the next one I counted the strokes and it was about the same. Other two, same as before. So now when I pump a few strokes of the gun, grease immediately comes out the front bearing. Clean it out and repeat until fresh grease comes out the front bearing. Then you know you have new grease in both bearings. If all four hubs do about the same, then you can know that the seals are good and holding. If one hub is different, then I agree, it is time to pull it down and investigate for a bad seal. (all of them).
Old 06-13-2014, 01:55 PM   #12

So, I'm on my first TT, and just starting the second year. I've never hand packed the bearings of anything, but watched some videos this morning as recommended here. I know there are two camps, one that says never ever ever pump grease, only hand pack. And the other camp says nothing wrong with pumping, that's the way it is designed.

My question, and this is not to be snarky, I just want to know.... If the main argument against pumping seems to be that you may blow the back seal and contaminate the brakes, wouldn't you use the same cleaners you use to clean the grease off the bearings and spindles to clean up the brake drums? Seems like you would be pulling it all apart anyway and replacing the seals and hand packing the bearings if you blow a seal. Again, with no experience, I'm just curious. I'm fairly mechanically inclined and change my own brakes on my cars/trucks. So, when it's time I will watch the videos again and tackle the hand packing. But, if pumping grease is what dexter recommends, why would I not do that?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:11 PM   #13

I'm in the camp that checks the brakes every year. Actually it is required in Pennsylvania. Why would I want a cup of extra grease, that will never touch a bearing, to deal with?
Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
I'm with DanFromGC on this one, this is my first fifth wheel, and its a big one 41 feet and 16,000 pounds triple axel, so its not something like the little trailer in the video, BTW I come from the offroad 4X4 lifestyle and always took care of my own rigs, including packing my own bearing, the only kind of grease that would hold up to the torture we put our rigs through is Slick 50 grease

2007 Forest River fifth wheel toy hauler 385 RLTS, 1999 Freightliner FL-60 with Western Hauler bed, new 3126B CAT motor, new Allison MD3060 transmission, air ride rear suspension, air ride cab, air ride seats
JEEPOHOLIC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal