Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Grey and black tank deodorizer

Hey everyone, I'm sure you guys are laughing at me (newbie) with this question.

I got some black tank deodorizer sachets. I dropped it down the toilet. All good.

It also says it's for the Grey tank too... how do I drop this into the Grey tank? Lol

Do I just fill sink and let it disolve in then pull the plug? Is there a simpler way?

Thank you.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2016, 11:27 AM   #2

When we used that kind, that is what we did. Put some water in the sink, let it dissolve and rinse it down.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #3

We only use the sachets in the black tank. You can get liquid stuff for your gray tank, but if you minimize food particles going into your gray tank by wiping it off with paper towel into the trash and not into your gray tank, about all you get into your gray tank is soapy water. We haven't had any gray tank odor since starting this. We also dump a little Calgon into the tanks to help with keeping the sensors working properly.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:32 AM   #4

I quit using that type because the packet can just go down into the drain pipe and do little good. Since you have them, I would do as you say on either tank. Also, add some plain water first to fill the drain pipes and keep more of the chemical in the tank.

Prepare for incoming no chemical comments!
Old 05-24-2016, 02:00 PM   #5

I've never added any to the gray tanks. I just try to avoid washing food down there. The traps under the sink should stop the odor form coming back in. I fill and drain them completely at each dump time, and at home I leave the valves open. If were doing some cleaning before a trip, I'll close the valves and add a dash of clorox down the sink. Doing that, we've never really had any odor issues thus never needed an additive.
Old 05-24-2016, 02:22 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I've never added anything to the grey tank except for laundry detergent and whatever else I normally run down the sink and shower drains. If I notice any grey odor, I just add some laundry detergent.

I normally don't worry much at all about the odors, but when I do start to notice them being bothersome, I nuke them mercilessly. Otherwise, most of the time, I'm not bothered by them. Gone are the times when odors were thought to make people deathly ill.

Besides, it's sewage, and it's mine. It's supposed to have a bit of an odor.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:41 PM   #7

Thanks everyone. That was very helpful. Never done this sort of thing in such a major way...so I look at you guy like my uncles and aunts thank you again.
TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 06:18 AM   #8

Don't over think things. My MIL gets upset if the black valve is open when the gray valve is open. Says you'll contaminate the gray tank with the black tank germs. Well it's not like I'm gonna drink out of either of them. Also don't believe the story that says a thief was trying to siphon gas out of a motorhome and opened the wrong tank and sucked on the end of a hose stuck in the black tank. The most important thing is to relax and enjoy it.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #9

You will see that the sources that empty into the grey tank have traps just like at home or some have a new type trap that keeps odors from coming into the rv.

I also use a little soap once in awhile to help remove grease and such from the tank. When I use the grey tank rinse valve I notice very little debris coming out.
Old 05-25-2016, 09:48 AM   #10

Believe me, the gray tank can stink bad !!!! if unattended ! Think about it, all those food scraps/bits laying in there decomposing. Part of getting back from a trip , i put deodorizer packets in both black and grey tanks when we return from a trip, for the grey tank, just put them down the sink !
We have a few acres in the boonies, so i always do a final flush of both tanks when we get home.

Our favorite are the Lavender ones we but at Camping World, even when flushing , still smell the Lavender !!!!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
Hey everyone, I'm sure you guys are laughing at me (newbie) with this question.
I got some black tank deodorizer sachets. I dropped it down the toilet. All good.
It also says it's for the Grey tank too... how do I drop this into the Grey tank? Lol
Do I just fill sink and let it disolve in then pull the plug? Is there a simpler way?
Thank you.
TheMatrix
I have found if/when everything in both the grey and black systems is working correctly no "tank odor" will get into the living area of a RV.

However if "tank odor" is getting into the living area of any RV... something needs fixing that deodorizer will not fix.

Mel
'96 Safari, 148k miles
Old 05-25-2016, 10:20 AM   #12

I never use any deodorants. Just keep water in the black tank when using it. Use the black tank rinse for 5 mins while dumping. Only time I had odor from the grey was when the AAV went bad.
Just more gimmicky RV stuff IMO.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad this topic came up. I was wondering about grey water deodorizers. So far, my RV has no grey water tank odors and I do avoid allowing any solid food scraps from going down the drain.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog is too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #14

We wipe as many food particles off stuff as possible into the trash can and we also use paper plates a lot, so we put practically no food particles into our gray tank. The normal dishwashing stuff you normally use will cut most of the grease in the tank as long as you aren't putting an abnormal amount of grease in.

Tags
black tank, odor, tank