Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

Grey water tank level ?

maybe silly question but. can you tell how full grey water tank is with out
tank sensors ? the black water tank you can look down the poop shoot and see level. but have no idea how full grey tank is. any help would be appreciated.
thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad95 View Post
maybe silly question but. can you tell how full grey water tank is with out
tank sensors ? the black water tank you can look down the poop shoot and see level. but have no idea how full grey tank is. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
Not really as most tanks are not see-through. If you overfill the gray tank, most RV's the first sign is it starts to back up in the shower as that is the lowest drain.

Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:53 PM   #3

thank you mike and cha. all the tanks have sensors and are wired to inside
of TT. just need to get monitor panel.

thanks again
Old 05-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Even once you get a monitor panel, they will often not work very well. My gray is more reliable than the black, but empty it shows 1/3 filled.

But as long as it tells me when I am near full, and full, that works for me.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
Not really as most tanks are not see-through. If you overfill the gray tank, most RV's the first sign is it starts to back up in the shower as that is the lowest drain.
+1

A bit inconvenient if you happen to be taking a shower at the time, and if you have to drive off with water sloshing about in the shower.

To get around this I installed a valve downstream from the black/grey valves that allows letting some of the gray go into the black tank without getting it all over the ground. I just finish the shower in water up to my ankles then go out and drain the excess into the black tank. Someone else also posted a thread about that on this forum. A search should find it if you're interested.

The black/gray tanks in the TC would hold all the fresh water, so when it was empty they would both be full and it was time to dump and fill again. I used the gauge for the fresh water to estimate everything because it always seemed to work best.

That has worked well for me for years, especially while boondocking.

This year the MH will be a new experience.

Steve
Old 05-27-2016, 02:53 PM   #6

Nomad95, 30 years of fifth wheels and TT's and none of the tank monitors work well for long. On our present 21' TT, I installed a SeeLevel tank monitor system and it works everytime. https://www.garnetinstruments.com/pr...-tank-monitor/
Simple install. reuse existing tank wiring. As they say, no more guesswork.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

One of the many reasons why I do not work off the city water connection is that I can always get a pretty good handle on how full my waste tanks are by balancing what is left in my fresh against what the waste gauges show. I have also noted that with our current unit the hand basin changes it's noise when draining into a full black tank.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

I haven't even bother looking at the 'tank level' monitor in our 5th wheel for over 8 yrs.

Seriously.........

Toilet 'burps' -----time to dump
Sink/shower starts draining slower....time to dump
Fresh water pump goes 'burrrruuup'------should have already added water

And after a fitting blowing off during the night while connected to city water ($6000 claim) we fill fresh water tank and run off it.
At night or if leaving RV we turn water pump off.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:51 PM   #9

i like your advice but how can you tell which tank is filling up? If the fresh water is half full is the water going to black or grey. Please excuse my ignorance but I a newbie.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:02 AM   #10

Just a note ; and don't ask how I know this.

If you do overfill the grey tank and have water on the shower floor, after you drain the tank run water into the shower "P" trap , chances are that the rush of water out of the tank , has sucked the trap dry , and fumes from the park sewer system can enter your bathroom.
Old 05-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
i like your advice but how can you tell which tank is filling up? If the fresh water is half full is the water going to black or grey. Please excuse my ignorance but I a newbie.
The water from the sink, lavatory, and shower all go to the gray tank. Only the toilet goes into the black. Which tank the fresh water goes into will depend on which of these facilities are used most.

Generally speaking, and this has been my experience, the gray tank will fill first because more fresh water is used for showers, dishes, washing up, etc. than is used to flush the toilet. This becomes noticeable, as mentioned, when you are showering in ankle deep water and it is still rising.

My solution was to add another valve downstream from the black/gray valves to allow running gray water into the black tank. When our black/gray tanks are full the fresh is empty and it is time to dump and fill.

If I've missed anything someone please correct me.

Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 05-28-2016, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
nomad95
Mike and Cha are correct.
On most RVs it's not possible to tell "how full" a grey tank is but when it's "to full" grey water will back up into the shower....(or the shower will not drain)... until you dump the gray.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-28-2016, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
The water from the sink, lavatory, and shower all go to the gray tank. Only the toilet goes into the black. Which tank the fresh water goes into will depend on which of these facilities are used most.
dix39
In many RVs both the toilet and the bathroom sink, (aka: lavatory sink), drain into the black tank... while the kitchen sink and shower, (and on some RVs the clothes washer and/or dishwasher also), drain into the gray tank.

BTW I owned and used my coach for 10 years before I discovered that my bathroom sink drains into the black tank.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 05-29-2016, 12:01 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
dix39
In many RVs both the toilet and the bathroom sink, (aka: lavatory sink), drain into the black tank... while the kitchen sink and shower, (and on some RVs the clothes washer and/or dishwasher also), drain into the gray tank.

BTW I owned and used my coach for 10 years before I discovered that my bathroom sink drains into the black tank.

Mel
'96 Safari
Thanks for adding that Mel. I wasn't aware of it, but it's always good to learn.

Steve

Tags
water, tank