Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBirch View Post
TheMatrix .... Funny how that happens. We pick-up our first TT second week in May. I must say, I have lost a bit of sleep as well as I am constantly thinking of what I need to get to outfit it for our first trip.

I'm little nervous. We are going on three short trips in Ontario (where we're from), before we do the big trip out to BC and back - almost 10,000 km round trip. Have to have things somewhat right before then.

The BC trip is planned somewhat tight with no time for unexpected trips to trailer dealerships for repairs.
That's awesome. I'm probably doing the same. Probably first week in May. Can't wait. But I won't be doing a 10,000 round trip. Not if I want to come back home to an income anyway lol. You are living the dream. Don't let anyone stop you my friend.

TheMatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #16

Smile ours arrived today ...

We picked up ours yesterday and got it home today! btw, we loved the equalizer hitch we got as well. Noisy but a world of difference. We are very pleased. Our first planned "long" trip will be to PQ in July.
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT1 copy.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	622.4 KB
ID:	121744

Name:	JohnNTT with insert.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	121745

BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:56 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethV View Post
We picked up ours yesterday and got it home today! btw, we loved the equalizer hitch we got as well. Noisy but a world of difference. We are very pleased. Our first planned "long" trip will be to PQ in July.
Attachment 121744

Attachment 121745
Wow what a good looking couple with a good looking RV. Thanks for sharing!

Beth I got my equalizer hitch too. I can't wait to try it out. One of the reasons I went with the Anderson Hitch is that it's supposed to be silent. I will let you know end of April the verdict.

Congrats on your beautiful TT. Well done and I wish you and hubby many happy years RVing! Travel safe my friends!
Old 03-19-2016, 09:22 AM   #18

Thank TheMatrix . The hitch wasn't really noisy until we got to our one lane dead-end winding country road. We had to pass our driveway which is a 270 degree turn and turn somewhere down the road. Turning like that made so much noise it was a bit scary. And we were worried we would jack knife. But when it was done we were grateful to have done it (successfully!) and learned a lot about the hitch itself. We are going to find a different spot to turn around...
BethV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix View Post
We live in Beautiful British Columbia Canada.
I'm going to order that hitch this week. Do you mind sharing where you got the best deal delivered to Canada?
Old 03-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewe View Post
I'm going to order that hitch this week. Do you mind sharing where you got the best deal delivered to Canada?
No problem at all.
Talk to Paul from PJ'S Trailers in Leduc Alberta
1866 822 9662
Good guy and company to deal with.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:11 PM   #21

Thanks Matrix. I'll give him a shout.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:59 AM   #22

After a lot of research, took a chance on the new Husky Centerline TS, and soooo happy with it. I think the best deal in a quaility hitch out there, i think it's a knock off of the Equalizer that they say is more quiet, and i wanted to get away from chains.
Jim & Pat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF2006.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	566.6 KB
ID:	122369  
Old 03-31-2016, 10:36 PM   #23

When you install the hitch, drill the rails for the set screw. This will keep the trailer end of the system in position. Also, I found the angle indicated was not obtained until I took the first trip around the block which pulled the two sides into the angle shown in the directions. Because of my battery platform and propane platform I had to remove a link from the chains. Results to date, 10K+ miles and really happy and my wife is happier than I due to the improved ride. Caution, bad roads are still bad roads but, they don't seem any worse than were we only in the truck with no trailer.
Enjoy
Old 03-31-2016, 11:40 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowboy View Post
When you install the hitch, drill the rails for the set screw. This will keep the trailer end of the system in position. Also, I found the angle indicated was not obtained until I took the first trip around the block which pulled the two sides into the angle shown in the directions. Because of my battery platform and propane platform I had to remove a link from the chains. Results to date, 10K+ miles and really happy and my wife is happier than I due to the improved ride. Caution, bad roads are still bad roads but, they don't seem any worse than were we only in the truck with no trailer.
Enjoy
Thanks for letting me know about the set screws. Do you drill a small hole all the way through the frame or just countersink a hole?? I can't wait to put mine on!
Old 04-02-2016, 11:51 AM   #25

I used a punch to mark the center then progressively drilled to slightly less than the diameter of the tapered end. I did drill through the frame rail. Because in my case the clamp moved to the indicated angle, after driving around the block, which was greater by perhaps 10 or 15 degrees than I was able to make it rotate I might now consider moving the hole back 1/2" or so. It did not affect the actual function of the hitch nor the ability to adjust to proper loading.
Another word of experience(?), the initial set-up, choosing the proper hitch mounting hole using the instructions would not let me get the proper loading. I forget now how much I adjusted the hitch placement, probably one hole. As I remember the instructions were to pick a hole where the hitch ball was seated in the hitch with no load. In my instance this left insufficient adjustment when the load completely settled. This was not a problem other than having torqued to specs it was now necessary to remove the torqued nut and repeat the process.
Any questions I had were either answered by a connection to the answer line or with a call back in a short period. I did get impatient at one point, replaced the call and was immediately connected. A good experience both from support and from the 10K miles driven using the hitch.
Good luck
Old 04-03-2016, 01:18 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowboy View Post
I used a punch to mark the center then progressively drilled to slightly less than the diameter of the tapered end. I did drill through the frame rail. Because in my case the clamp moved to the indicated angle, after driving around the block, which was greater by perhaps 10 or 15 degrees than I was able to make it rotate I might now consider moving the hole back 1/2" or so. It did not affect the actual function of the hitch nor the ability to adjust to proper loading.
Another word of experience(?), the initial set-up, choosing the proper hitch mounting hole using the instructions would not let me get the proper loading. I forget now how much I adjusted the hitch placement, probably one hole. As I remember the instructions were to pick a hole where the hitch ball was seated in the hitch with no load. In my instance this left insufficient adjustment when the load completely settled. This was not a problem other than having torqued to specs it was now necessary to remove the torqued nut and repeat the process.
Any questions I had were either answered by a connection to the answer line or with a call back in a short period. I did get impatient at one point, replaced the call and was immediately connected. A good experience both from support and from the 10K miles driven using the hitch.
Good luck
That's great advice. Thank you!
I think I will wait just a while and see where the set screws position themselves before drilling. I'm to chicken to drill all the way through so I will countersink the holes.

I truly think this is one of the best hitches for a TT out there. I'm really glad you like it! Wishing you well on your travels this year.
Old 04-03-2016, 11:28 PM   #27

Run the set screws down, they will act like a soft punch. If everything looks good on your set-up then, back them out and drill. The good news is that if they aren't down far enough to hold you know where to drill larger and deeper.