Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #1
mdo

Gulfstream Ameri-Lite 198BH

Looking at one of these for weekend camping at lake, mountains and occasional trips from north GA to FL...Just the two of us..... Anyone own a Ameri-Lite? Getting one this size under $10K that can sleep up to six, with a dry weight of 2790 looks good to me since I'll be pulling with a Ford F-150 with a towing capacity of 5400 lbs.... I want to be able to tow up north GA mountains without losing a transmission..... any feedback is appreciated..

#DRY WEIGHT 2790 LBS - 2015 Gulf Stream Ameri-Lite 198BH for sale in Columbus GA
mdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:27 AM   #2

I think there is a guy on here that has one. I think he was happy with it sure he will chime in.

What year is your truck seems like a low tow rating for it.

Looks like a nice unit.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:18 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Interesting way to advertise, by dry weight. With a capacity of 900 lbs additional weight. Your 30 gallon water tank takes up 252 lbs of that, with water heater full that's another 50 lbs. Now you have 600 lbs for all other gear. Does the dry weight figure include the awning? It would be educational to tow that trailer to the nearest scale and see how close it is to it's advertised weight.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #4

If it's just the two of you ( as us ) don't see why you want ,or need, the bunks . I would look around for a unit with no bunks= more space . And one small slide makes a Biiiiig, difference.

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 02:44 PM   #5
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post
I think there is a guy on here that has one. I think he was happy with it sure he will chime in.

Looks like a nice unit.
2010 F-150 STX 2WD with 4.6 = 5400 lbs and 500 max tongue weight...

Not sure if I understand the post about 300 lbs of water, since we don't plan to dry camp is it necessary to travel with a full tank of water?

The bunks are nice because there are two children (son + daughter, both adults) that might want to meet up at the lake (3 miles away) and they would have a place to stay... Bunk area could also serve as a storage area when not being used....

My biggest concern is the 8,000 BTU window type AC unit... will this cool the unit if in the Florida summer sun? I plan to visit the dealer and get a good look at this one this Saturday... Any other questions I should ask or concerns?

Primary use is on the lake and nearby mountains but we plan to take it to Key West once a year and frequent trips to north GA mountains... a light weight unit is a necessary since I don't want to upgrade my truck at this time... If I can make this combo work for next 3 years, I can then upgrade to a class C or nicer TT and truck once I cash in a supplemental savings account..... Trying to enjoy RV'ing on a budget so I can still afford at least one nice annual vacation by air travel or cruise....Ireland or Bahamas....
Old 05-27-2014, 04:46 PM   #6

Well I think you will be fine. Just seemed low to me.

My own truck is rated about the same as yours and the tralier I tow is close the the same uvw. And I have towed all through BC canada so I would imagin you won't have a issues. You may just have to tow in 3rd gear if the tranny hunts in the 4th or OD gear. Not sure what gearing you have

And as far as the side mount a/c not sure as I have never used one in a tralier.
And if you are always camping at full hook up site no you don't need to. Carry a full tank of water.

But if you want or I recommend that you do is go to the towing fourm and there is a sticky at the top page that will take you to a web site that shows you if your truck should be ok towing your tralier. Other than that it's all about hitting the weigh scale to figure out everything.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:41 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
The reason I mentioned the weight of the water is that a trailer with a listed capacity of 900 lbs. doesn't leave much safety for carrying the things everyone wants in a camping trailer. The water would be 1/3 of your capacity. Add in chairs, grill, pots and pans, dishes, clothes, etc. and you'd be at capacity in an eye-blink. At 8.4 lbs per gallon, anything in the gray or black tanks puts you over. Many RV 'dry weight' ratings are very inaccurate. Maybe the did make that weight on the first one, but the awning, A/C, etc. aren't usually considered. Take it to a scale before the sale.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast0ne View Post

Looks like a nice unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Take it to a scale before the sale.
Thanks.... the roof mounted AC unit is an option... if I like this unit, I'll order one with the roof AC...... once I confirm the weight.....
Old 05-27-2014, 09:53 PM   #9
mdo

I have a 3.55 rear axle, plan to carry a minimal amount of water, unit has one 20 LB propane tank.......Truck GVWR is 6450.... if this won't work, I'll wait and get a Class C later.....
Old 05-28-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
mdo

Just when I thought we had this figured out.... Wife says, Let's take the plunge and go for something we can drive!! She's afraid pulling a TT loaded with everything she wants to take will kill the F-150...... Guess it's back to square one.....
Old 05-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #11

mdo--- Don't give up on TT's, i think you are underestimating you F150 a "little"

Let me tell you my story ( a lot of typing for me ) . When i needed to replace my Dodge dakota, i knew i wanted a full size PU and had in mind of some day (retirement ) would want a camper ( Daughter and her family was into it ) a found a good deal on a 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7, i was told it had a 8,000 # towing capacity, deal done , nice truck (i'm a Dodge man ) great condition and good price.

Now we dicided ( with daughter pushing ) to look for a used TT (Another whole story ) and going to my local Dodge Dealer, with vin# in hand to be sure of the towing capacity, well come to find out the dealers 8000# dropped to 6000#, so once again "do your homework' !!!! With what we had read you want to keep a 20% leeway in there, so we are sort of screwed, the 30 ft dropped to 25 or less.
So to make a long story shorter , we bought a 2000 Keystone 25rkls ( another long story, you learn a lot buying a 14 year old TT ) 4600# dry, we have had it out on three trips ( longest one about 500 mles ) and have no problems pulling it, engine temps stay fine as do the trans. temp. just a big drop in gas mileage, but must say we have not had it in the hills/mountains yet. We love it more and more with every trip,
So don't give up !!!! So my way of thinking is , if we continue our love of this, is to get a 2500 just before retirement,1 1/2 years ( have not decided on diesel or gas yet , since i don't see us going over 7.000# dw ) Or at least all the ones i see and like the floor plan of ( just me and the wife ) around that.

Hang i there !!!! Jim & Pat
Old 05-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
If it's just the two of you ( as us ) don't see why you want ,or need, the bunks . I would look around for a unit with no bunks= more space . And one small slide makes a Biiiiig, difference.

Jim
That is exactly what I was about to reply with. Space is such a commmodity in a TT, seems to waste a good bit of it on bunks that won't be slept in.

I'd value a couch, or a bigger kitchen (with a double sink), or a u-shaped dinette, or bigger bathroom (with a sink) over bunks any day since it is just 2 of us camping 99% of the time, too.
Loraura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:34 PM   #13
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loraura View Post
That is exactly what I was about to reply with. Space is such a commmodity in a TT, seems to waste a good bit of it on bunks that won't be slept in.

I'd value a couch, or a bigger kitchen (with a double sink), or a u-shaped dinette, or bigger bathroom (with a sink) over bunks any day since it is just 2 of us camping 99% of the time, too.
I agree a slide out is nice... had one on my pop up camper.... BUT.... the next model up with a slide out weighed app 4000 lbs.... that just would not work.... also, there is a long steep hill on the way from Toccoa to Helen GA that might take its toll on the F-150........ I still plan to check this TT out Saturday....... haven't given up yet but considering my other options..... not willing to buy a new truck just to be able to pull the travel trailer I'd like to have, since a new F-250 would probably run $30K+ .... I'd rather keep my truck and buy a new entry level Class A or C since I have a Jeep Cherokee I could use as a toad...
Old 05-28-2014, 01:52 PM   #14

Where are you getting the specs. on your truck ???

Jim

Tags
gulfstream