Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 AM   #1

Had to escape the heat!! Take a look!!

Decided to head to the mountains. Tired of the 3 digit heat waves. I chose Red River , NM. Been there before, but not with a TT. Overall, fun experience.Did not have to run the a/c once. Camper handled pretty well and experienced real camping for the first time. Chose Road Runner RV park, little pricey but a very nice place.
Here are some issues I experienced and maybe someone out there can help.

1. Pulled trailer with a nissan titan, 1/2 ton with tow mode. Question, do I have to use the tow mode, it seems to use more gas?

2. Do I leave the the lighted toggle switch( inside the trailer) for the hot water heater on all the time? This tank is propane heated.

3. How tight do the stabilizers need to be? If i overtighten or tighten one, the others have to be retightened.

Thanks for your help and enjoy the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00087-20110718-0909.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	366.9 KB
ID:	12226   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of Tim camping.jpg
Views:	419
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	12227  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00085-20110717-1839.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	487.1 KB
ID:	12228   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00053-20110715-1918.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	12229  

made2care is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2011, 09:01 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would leavit it in tow/haul- it's easier on the transmission. In my opinion, I would leave the hot water switch on all the time. I tried to keep it off until I needed it, then you never know when you might need it. I took a shower once and forgot to turn it on- now I leave it on all the time. I can't reccomend anything with your jacks because we have a m/h, but I'd get a drill to put them up/down. The pictures are great! Have fun....
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by made2care View Post
2. Do I leave the the lighted toggle switch( inside the trailer) for the hot water heater on all the time? This tank is propane heated.
You don't have ANY provision for heating the water electrically?? If not, there are any number of retrofits available to add an electric heating element for use when 120VAC is available. The campground's electricity is cheaper than your propane and isn't limited by the capacity of your propane tank(s).

If you have a 30 amp rig, you may not be able to use it when you're running the A/C, microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, etc., but when you can run the water heater on shore power, it's a money saver.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #4

I agree with Puttin to leave it in tow/haul mode. It doesn't help the fuel mileage any but it does help the transmission. We leave the water heater off until we need it. Ours heats up really quickly so it is never an issue, so my thought is why wear out the equipment or waste propane/electricity.
Rysh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #5

With the stabilizers, I do this: Run all the stabilizers part way down, then place a piece of wood for each stabilizer to sit on and run that stabilizer down untill it just touches. then turn the handle about 1/2 turn. Do this to all the stabilizers and they will all be about the same tightness. Don't forget to chock the wheels as this prevents the foward/backward movement that may loosen the tightness of your stabilizers. Hope this helps.

Joe
Old 07-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #6

much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRNOLL View Post
With the stabilizers, I do this: Run all the stabilizers part way down, then place a piece of wood for each stabilizer to sit on and run that stabilizer down untill it just touches. then turn the handle about 1/2 turn. Do this to all the stabilizers and they will all be about the same tightness. Don't forget to chock the wheels as this prevents the foward/backward movement that may loosen the tightness of your stabilizers. Hope this helps.

Joe

Thanks ! I believe i have been overtightening them!
Old 07-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #7

Exception to leaving hot water tank burner on, would be when you fuel up. I know it is a long way to your fuel tank but you might be fueling next to someone who is close to your hot water heater. Some risks are not worth taking.

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:57 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
We had an 05 Titan and towed a TT of what I'm guessing was similar in weight to yours. I forgot to turn on the tow/haul mode once, until I noticed the trans temp rising well above normal. Turned on the tow/haul and the temp went back down and we never had another problem.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
We had an 05 Titan and towed a TT of what I'm guessing was similar in weight to yours. I forgot to turn on the tow/haul mode once, until I noticed the trans temp rising well above normal. Turned on the tow/haul and the temp went back down and we never had another problem.

Thanks for the info. much apprciated!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #10
GPW

Just as a matter of course , I had a transmission cooler installed in the Tow vehicle (Silverado )... seems to really help ...
GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #11

Tow/haul is there for a valid reason, use it when towing a heavy load You can buy a lot of gas for the price of a transmission rebuild. Hot water heater will stay hot all day while traveling, then again overnight. When we park, we turn on the LP heater until showers, and dishes, are done, then turn it back off. Same procedure in AM. I'm not tight, but it's like Ben Franklin said, "take care of your pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves".
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 07:18 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
You don't have ANY provision for heating the water electrically?? If not, there are any number of retrofits available to add an electric heating element for use when 120VAC is available. The campground's electricity is cheaper than your propane and isn't limited by the capacity of your propane tank(s).

If you have a 30 amp rig, you may not be able to use it when you're running the A/C, microwave, coffee pot, hair dryer, etc., but when you can run the water heater on shore power, it's a money saver.

Rusty
According to the WH manufacturers adding a Hot Rod type unit will void the warranty so take that into consideration. That said, I have installed two of them, one in our rig and another in a friends. They work but are slow to heat. Better to heat with gas then keep it warm with the elec. If you take a shower turn the gas on also as that will keep the water hotter.
Like a lot of motorhomes our water heater has gas/elec and is plumbed into the engine coolant. That works well for a motorized unit but the water is extremely hot when we first stop as it's the same as the engine coolant temp what can be 180° or more.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote