Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-11-2014, 04:44 PM   #1
Hail damage...worth fixing or live with the dents???

We recently had golf ball size hail and larger, and our travel trailer suffered as bad as the house did. Estimate came back with the replacement of all right side metal sheet and decals, all front side metal sheet and decals, reefer vent, bathroom vent lid, and the adjuster threw in the AC cover. The vents/cover are an easy fix and I plan on doing that myself. The dents however are not huge and that noticeable, but removing all the siding, replacing, and re-sealing seems like a big undertaking, and was wondering if anyone with experience on this could chime in? Bad or good experience, time it took, etc? Thanks!

Mark, Brooke, Keira, and Gunther the Pup.
2013 Salem Cruise Lite
2003 Ford SD Diesel
mdrndaynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
Depends on whether the insurance company will hand you a cheque to cover the repairs and let you either fix it or bank the cheque.

Neighbour had hail damage to his garage (steel roof) and a couple of other sheds and he was given a cheque for $30,000 to arrange repairs. He is happy to leave the dents in.

Tony Lee - International Grey Nomad. Picasa Album - Travel Map
RVs. USA - Airstream Cutter; in Australia - MC8 40' DIY Coach conversion & OKA 4x4 MH; in Germany - Hobby Class C; in S America - F350 with 2500 10.6 Bigfoot camper
Tony Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:42 PM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being that new of a rig, I think I would have it fixed. JMHO of course.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Have any pics?

Were you planning on doing the siding replacement yourself?
It's not that hard if you're handy with carpentry type work. Pretty much the same as putting vinyl siding on a house.
Different caulk & sealers are used of course.

Then there is the problem of sourcing the alum siding.
Most RV service/dealers are reluctant to sell the siding outright and miss out on a big $$$ repair job.

I've bought and sold many, many RVs that needed the siding replaced.
All-Rite is where I get my siding. Dunno if they sell to the general public ( I have a shop). Although they may require it shipped to a commercial address since it comes in on a freight truck.
I'll send them a sample of the siding I need and they can usually match it up to a standard pattern. Have yet to need a custom job done.

And I get the vinyl graphics from a local sign shop.
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 AM   #5
If you have a rubber roof, make sure the inspector knows how to check it for damage.
A friend of mine went through a bad hail storm, which broke all the vent covers and the dome over the shower. The roof had a few dimples, but didn't look bad, until the inspector took a closer look. Each dimple had a small slit in it from the hail (you have to pull the rubber a little to see it.) He ended up with new roof decking and rubber roof.
Steve and Linda
Miami Co. Kansas
2009 Heartland Big Horn 3670RL
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:19 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Park it with the damage facing the sun for a few weeks. You'd be surprised at how much the damage will diminish just with heat from the sun. It's unlikely to disappear completely, but it might surprise you as to how much will come out.
Jay & Peggy Monroe with Dolly
Can't take it with you - don't plan on leaving any behind
2016 Newmar London Aire 4553, Spartan chassis
Wrangler Unlimited toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:32 AM   #7
Find a Dr. Dent mobile repair. I watched them remove many hail dents from a car hood and roof. Unnoticable when done. Rkl
2002 Journey 36GD, Roadmaster Blackhawk tow system, 2006 Jeep Commander Hemi, 2005 Jeep Wrangler...Webster NY/Ft Myers Fl.
RKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #8
Changing for cosmetic reason? Do u plan to keep the TT a long time? Check roof as well for damages.

Don't forget about depreciation for damage and downtime if you are fulltiming.

You will need a safe dry place to do repairs...

Pictures would help.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:29 AM   #9
Jayco Owners Club
The damage from water intrusion if not resealed properly could completely ruin the trailer. I would leave the dents alone if nothing is leaking. Like others have said... check the roof rubber...
Jack and Dee Dee Weatherford, Texas
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 4X4 w/CTD 6.7
2016 Jayco White Hawk 28DSBH Travel Trailer
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:49 AM   #10
Thanks for all the replies...we have decided to replace all the damaged vents, but leave the dents alone since they are only cosmetic at this point. They are noticeable, but you can't really see them looking straight at the one side, only when the angle is just right, and the light has to be good. We plan on keeping the TT until it is paid off, and then some so I'm not worried about the depreciation associated with the dents. As far as the roof, our insurance adjuster and both camping world looked it over really good, and am confident they didn't miss anything - however just for piece of mind when I get on it to fix the vents, I'll check for any dimples and pull on the rubber to see if it split anywhere!
Mark, Brooke, Keira, and Gunther the Pup.
2013 Salem Cruise Lite
2003 Ford SD Diesel
mdrndaynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #11
As an Indiana resident, you have very qualified repair people available nearby, as well as an easy source for repair parts. This is a late model coach. For those factors, and the fact the value of the trailer is going to take a pretty good sized hit, I'd fix it. Part of buying a new trailer is because they look nice. Why put up with all those dings the whole time you own it?

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote