Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Has anyone bought a used TT

My daughter knows nothing about TT's, Campers, or Motorhomes. Well, she surprised me with a TT. Upon seeing it, found out it had no license plate, the Hot Water Heater didn't work, the Tolit was leaking, & she had no idea about dumping the Grey & Black water. The owners said, "as is". So, we received no information about the trailer. Now, we are stuck with this thing. Is there a law or anything that keeps people from selling without principals? Did I say, the breaker trips when a/c is on? Do things like this happen a lot. Do I just happily start fixing everything. I don't have the owners name, ,. But even if I did, theres nothing I can do about it. I bought on Craigs List.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 11:38 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Yes, many folks buy used RVs. I've never seen one sold with a license plate. A title, yes, but you have to transfer the title, register it in your name, and buy the plate yourself.

You didn't mention make or model of trailer, there are folks here who can help you with repairs and give advice. Your daughter was trying to do a nice thing, I bet, be thankful she wants to camp with you!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:18 AM   #3

I just bought a 2014. Towed 3 times. Had less than 5 hours on 5500 generator. Just brought it home. Got it for 25k under the value.Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-07 20.32.39.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	141052
Old 10-08-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

I bought a 2011 earlier this year. It was our first, and I didn't really know what I was looking for or what to try and spot. I wish I would have had someone do an inspection on it, because it ended up having a crack in the caulk at the top and leaked down the back of the front panel. It ended up ruining the front cap. I just had to drop some money on it to get it fixed, but now that it is....it is essentially new. The trailer itself was used very little. Just have to be careful with what you buy. I believe everything else was in working condition, I have replaced a few items that were getting old looking (water inlet, storage door catches, etc...)
Old 10-09-2016, 01:36 AM   #5

If you are trying to power the water heater on electric or AC on a household extension cord that could be the problem...

If you could get a hold of the seller and maybe shame him possibly at least for a repairs refund?

Get it fixed for her and enjoy it with her and family. even once will make a lasting memories
Old 10-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #6
IC2

I'm hearing 'complain' about a sale but when a seller says 'as is' that often means it's a DIY project with problems.

- License plates are for the owner to supply, not the seller.
- Leaky toilet, what's the problem, a base seal? A valve? A water inlet fitting? A vacuum breaker? Get the IB, it's on the internet if the toilet is a Thetford or Dometic.
- Dumping the tanks - not the seller's responsibility to train a new owner.
- Tripping breaker, you need a minimum 14 gauge cord with a 12 gauge better just to get enough amps out to the unit to run basics, not an a/c. Length of that cord also plays into that equation. It should also have a minimum 10 gauge wire pigtail for 30 amp service to do campground hookups. If not supplied, Ebay has some honest sellers and at less money then, say Camping World or your local RV outlet. Additionally, breakers do weaken if they trip multiple times.

Owning a TT or for that matter, any RV is a steep learning curve especially the first year or two. Virtually every item like that toilet (a/c, furnace, stove, fridge, etc) has the IB on the internet. You physically look for that component's nameplate, get the model and occasionally the serial number and do your search. As far as the trailer itself, maybe you can source their original Owner's Manual from the manufacturer but mostly they are way too general/useless.

Good luck
Old 10-09-2016, 08:12 AM   #7

Yes don't complain about a gift. She is saying she wants to spend family time with you. Use the experience to learn how to use the trailer and make the repairs. Paying someone else will probably no make financial sense. Get her and her family to help with the labor and enjoy the time spent together on the project. She didn't give you a lemon she gave you an opportunity.Everything you need to know is either here, google, or you tube.
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:46 PM   #8

I bought a slightly used 2014 TT a couple months ago, did a lot of research before purchase, looked a several TT's before finding the right one for me.
I did inspect it well before purchase, it has worked out great for me.
It is a learning curve, look for the positives.

GreyWolf67 is offline   Reply With Quote