Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Has anyone had a tire blow out that wasn't mounted?

I was lying in the tub last night when I heard a muffled "bang". My husband on the other side of the house also heard it. We live in the country and thought someone was shooting closer to the house than normal. (yes shooting is often a daily occurrence around here) I suggest that maybe a tire blew out on the trailer. He goes out and looks and they're all fine. They are brand new after all. Later I go look in the trailer to make sure everything is ok and the spare which we threw up in it to get it out of the weather, had blown. It put a little mark on the wall. Blew our shades on the window above it apart, blew a cover off of one of the electric outlets but it went back on and the cover was off the light over the bed but can't swear that happened with the blow out. So anyone have a stored tired explode? This tire was not brand new
Manana is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #2

Not a stored one, but did have one on the rv blow out after sitting for three days. Jacks down on a Sunday morning. Just a big boom and a sidewall blows out.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #3

Nope, never an unmounted tire. I had 3 blowouts while towing though. One made no noise as the sidewall came apart. Two others sounded like a shotgun.

Thanks for posting as now if I hear a gun shot I will check tires on the Seadoo trailer and bicycle tires.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:44 PM   #4

There are two kinds of tires. Tires that failed. Tires that have not yet failed.

There are two kinds of boats. Boats that have sunk and that have not sunk yet.

May you be blessed by fair winds and following seas such that the failures you encounter in life provide you interesting stories around the campfire.
Old 09-09-2019, 07:04 PM   #5

Statistics show less people die from unmounted spare tires than gun shots. Thankfully it was the spare. Might be time for a change of address.
Old 09-10-2019, 05:51 AM   #6

What brand tire, how old was it, had it been used on the trailer before?
stvaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:02 AM   #7

On my old pop up I had the tread completely separate on my spare. Tire had never touched the road. I assume it was due to old age and being in the sun.
Mcpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:49 AM   #8

That appears to be the effects of an old tire. Probably developed an internal leak, bubbled the side wall and blew.
I’ve never had a spare unmounted tire go. But I’ve had one mounted tire blow out on a motorhome (passenger side rear inside duel) after we were sitting parked at the campground for a few days.
Old 09-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
That looks like an older tire. All bets are off when they get a few years on them. Especially cheaper "China bombs" . You have just experienced why they are called that. Also, don't bring tires inside in the future.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:21 PM   #10

Take the remaining tires off the trailer and secure them in a blast chamber. One that isn't made in CHINA.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:59 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Like other have stated, it must have been compromised, China bomb or not. They don’t just blow for no reason.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:30 AM   #12

I can't remember the brand but it wasn't a good one...8 ply original tire on 2016 TT. It had been used before and when I got the new tires put on the tire place picked the "best" looking old one to use as a spare. I had planned on taking it to the tire store to put a new one on since I had already had 2 of the previous 4 fail. It had great tread but dry rotted and has I said not great to begin with IMO. Just odd that it would sit in the camper for a few weeks and then just suddenly blow out the side wall
Manana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:40 AM   #13

Just imagine if you had a flat and needed to put that tire to use, and it blew while going down the road.
When I did my tires last time, I bought 5 and did a new spare too. Yes it was expensive but it’s a comfortable feeling knowing I have a good reliable spare easy and waiting.
BTW, I did Goodyear Endurance tires last time. They are fantastic, nice stiff sidewall and good load carrying capacity. They made a noticeable difference in how the trailer towed.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:43 PM   #14

We found the tires on the trailer, used, were mismatched and had age. Replaced the road tires with new and saved the best radial as a spare. Went to check in the Winter and found the spare shredded. Preety sure it wasn't over-speed.
Chowboy is offline   Reply With Quote