Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2011, 07:47 PM   #1

hauling a generator

Any ideas on loading a 3200watt generator in my truck? It weighs 129 lbs, and it
is a bit much to expect my wife to help out. I have heard of guys using carts etc. Looking for any ideas on how to store it so loading is easy. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2011, 07:53 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
And that is the reason I sprung for the extra $$$ and got a pair of Honda EU2000i with the parallel kit. They weight about 50# each and I can easily load them in the truck, one at a time. I carry a small 4 wheel cart to load them on. I also have the 6 gallon extended run tank for the generators.

For your situation, you might check Northern Tool or Harbor Freight for the lift that mounts in the corner of the truck bed that can easily the generator.

Ken

Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #3

Glad u posted that. We are wondering the same thing about our generator. Will look into the lift.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Truck Cranes at Harbor Freight Tools

Like these.

Ken
Old 05-08-2011, 10:19 PM   #5

Heck, I mounted my Yamaha 3500 generator to the bed of my F-150...no lifting in and out...truck is still functional to haul most things..I have a tonneau cover that I lock when not running the genny. Just open the cover, turn the key to start, and I have full power for the trailer...runs AC, microwave, and all....

Generator goes with me when I leave the site, and is locked under the tonneau...I don't worry about anyone stealing it.....did I mention that I have it bolted down in the truck?.......if they tried to steal it while it was running late at night, our dogs would surely hear and bark...it would take them awhile to unbolt it, and by then the 911 call would have police there, or I would have wandered out with my shotgun, asking if they were have a nice evening.......hah.
Old 05-08-2011, 11:11 PM   #6

When you use the search feature in the page heading you should find many past discussions about generators, types, loading, etc.
I initially tried to use a construction generator for dry camping, in addition to many other reasons for abandoning that construction generator, weight was also a problem for me. I even bought that hydraulic lift Search results for: 'hydraulic truck bed crane' for the bed of the truck Harbor Freight sells. After 1 year of wrestling that heavy generator around I bought a 3,000W continuous output Boliy RV's choice for Portable Power - Boliy USA, Home of the Boliy Generator invertor series genset. Full of fuel it weighs 78#, easy to move about by myself and powerful enough to run the A/C and, microwave, at the same time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:09 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Pghwizard Send a message via Yahoo to Pghwizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by husk View Post
Heck, I mounted my Yamaha 3500 generator to the bed of my F-150...no lifting in and out...truck is still functional to haul most things..I have a tonneau cover that I lock when not running the genny. Just open the cover, turn the key to start, and I have full power for the trailer...runs AC, microwave, and all....

Generator goes with me when I leave the site, and is locked under the tonneau...I don't worry about anyone stealing it.....did I mention that I have it bolted down in the truck?.......if they tried to steal it while it was running late at night, our dogs would surely hear and bark...it would take them awhile to unbolt it, and by then the 911 call would have police there, or I would have wandered out with my shotgun, asking if they were have a nice evening.......hah.

I did the same exact thing with ours.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #8

My Champion 3500 weighs just over 100 lbs, and I can lift it in and out by myself if I have to, but wife can lift her end easily.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by alageezer View Post
My Champion 3500 weighs just over 100 lbs, and I can lift it in and out by myself if I have to, but wife can lift her end easily.
I have a champion 3500 as well, my 13 year old helps me load it when hes around.. if not, i can manage it myself.
when im boondocking for 1 or 2 nights I wont even unload it.

that Boliy looks like a nice setup, but a bit pricey. I paid 325 for mine with a wheel kit.

lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote