Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #15

We also learned our lesson the hard way..... 3 years ago.

We had a TV which could "tow" 10500# we purchased a 6800# trailer and
were told by our so called trustworthy sales rep we could tow the TT. We
never were educated on the total weight of cargo, fuel, water, food, family, fido, play gear, etc were all part of the factors. Not to mention
the profile of a large TT going down the highway at 55MPH. We did not hear about the 20% weight deduction from the TV for the larger mountain
passes.

Living in the west in the edge of the 11,000 foot mountains we quickly learn
we were under trucked. We tried everything including placing the trailer
on a diet, removing non needed toys and supplies. But soon learned the next year a new TV was going find its way to our driveway.

We purchased a Ram 1 ton 3500 6.4 Hemi and now have no problems. Just made a trip 2500 miles, which I never dreamed with the older TV. Over many large steep mountain passes and never a pause in the truck.

I think your TV simply will to tow a TT you have researched. Keep up the research and go from there.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 08:21 PM   #16

Ordered today with 3100 weight and within hitch capacity. Even adding 700-800 lbs. still within all the limits.

Also purchased nicer WD w/SC hitch that will be installed and adjusted by dealer with brake controller.

Will keep posted on progress and experience after hook-up.

Old 09-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
you might look at the Cruiser RV, Shadow Cruiser 195

It is very similar to the passport you listed

We bought one about 2 mos ago.....$18,800 new leftover. We are pleased with the quality/price....very comfortable for 2 retirees.

We bought ours in FT Pierce....but, they were not special.....price was good.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #18

We ordered a 2017 Forest River Rockwood Mini-lite 1905 Sapphire at Tropical RV for delivery in 5-8 weeks and couldn't be happier.

Super excited with the pre- flight and delivery preparations. Should come in about 3,300 lbs. with options ordered and about 410 at the hitch.

Will take to one of the CAT scales in Ft. Pierce and get all the weights after we load it up, as well as the Cherokee. Stay tuned!
Old 09-02-2016, 04:52 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
when you do your walk through......inspect everything very closely. besides being Not properly cleaned,We got ours & there was a misaligned door (was hard to close, because of misalign). On our 1st trip, at about 150 miles....I saw a screw in the sidewall of a tire.....it was a new screw, from their shop or the factory....no air leak..but unrepairable....had to replace a tire on a new trailer....they ignored my email. The point is....quality control on trailers is not the best...and the retailers don't seem to be very diligent in pre-sale.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 PM   #20

I took an 8-9 page list I found on the Internet and highly modified it to customize it for our new trailer. It's now 7 pages long and is the result of also seeing all the Mini-lite 1905 videos from 2016 and 17 on you tube. Hopefully didn't miss too much. I think the PDI will take at least a full day and plenty of cooperation and patience. As excited and looking forward to our first trip a we obviously are, the DW and I are convinced that if we have to we won't pick up the trailer until the list is as complete as possible. Filling up one of the bedrooms with stuff for the new "house on wheels", with emphasis on keeping it as light as possible. Really looking forward to this new chapter in our lives.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:33 PM   #21
RPr

As you can tell, what you want is not compatible with what you have.

Real world numbers, my Dutchmen Lite has a listed dry weight of 5004 lbs. Across the CAT scales it is 6400 lbs. when loaded for a trip with about 700 lbs. on the tongue. My F-150 4x4 is rated at 1411 lbs max cargo.

Yes, it can pull 9500 lbs, but that means nothing if you overload the axles.

I doubt you will find all the features you want in a TT you can tow.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #22

The CAT scales will tell the truth but I think this package will be safely within the total weight, tow and hitch capabilities of our Cherokee. We'll soon know!
Old 09-07-2016, 04:43 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Cat scales will tell you something. So will the mountain passes and 8% grades. That is true with every rig.

Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote