Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Have you weighed your trailer?
Yes, I've weighed my trailer 83 72.17%
No, I havn't weighed my trailer 32 27.83%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2006, 10:44 AM   #15

I weighted mine on 10-09-06. Have a new 5th wheel and wanted to know where I stood.
truck 11080, truck & 5th wheel 20420, truck & 5th wheel & boat 23640. Was loaded with water and supplies for 14 days camping.The cummins pulls it pretty good. getting all the bugs out so we can head down to Lake Mead for the winter.

2007 Jazz 5th wheel
royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #16

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Your signature indicates you have a <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">2001.5 dodge 2500 cummins </div></BLOCKQUOTE>.

A HD 3/4 ton truck that weighs 11,080 pounds. Sounds like it's a bit overloaded to me.

Am I missing something here?
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:30 PM   #17

Yeah, I weighed mine. Didn't cost me a dime. I have a friend that works at the local landfill. I was able to weigh truck rear axle, then truck and trailer together on the same scale.

I did it because I pull a 14K max 5vr with a 1Ton Crewcab diesel and it helped me make the right tire and wheel choice for both units. I wasn't sure that the stock wheels would take the load without spinning out the centers, if the TV tires were up to it or if the wheel and tire combo on the 5vr were up to it.

I'm glad I did it. I found out I was on thin ice with the old tire/wheel combos. Now, I'm secure in the knowledge that I have the right stuff.

Crew Cab, Banks Power
MADDOG` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:22 PM   #18

If Goodyear doing a survey, they must be trying to figure out why their loosing so many Marathons.

I head for the scale first thing after we load up. Have to go out the way to get to the interstate but its worth knowing.

Dave
Old 11-06-2006, 09:11 AM   #19

How do you weigh each axle - I've never done this & would like to do so with my trailer(s).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul Heuvelhorst:
I have not "officially" weighed my trailer at a public scale.

However, when we travel through Oregon, we have often pulled through a closed highway truck scale and weighed each axle on truck and trailer to verify that we are well below our weight limits. I'm happy with that information.

Oregon scales use readouts that are visible to the driver even when the scales are closed and un-manned. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #20

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Hey guys, I bugged my husband till he weighed it. It does not cost much and only takes a few minutes.
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #21

One thing the flat scales are not telling you is the side to side weight differences. It is not unusual to find over 1,000lb difference from one side to the other. Floor plans with the kitchen on one side and almost nothing of any weight on the other show the biggest weight differences. Many times that heavy side is right at, or over loading the tire load capasity. Having someone have tire problems on the heavy side happens very often. I'm sure Goodyear understands the problems and might be trying to get folks to understand too how weight affects their tires.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 05:03 PM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank P. Martin:
I have never weighed my combination.

However, the Pennsylvania Turnpike weighs my truck and trailer every time I use it. I always get charged as a class 2 which means that my truck and trailer's combined weight is somewhere between 7,001 and 15,000 lbs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, they charged me class 2 for my Volvo and fiver. My Volvo weight is 18,620 lbs without me in it.

2006 Volvo VNL42T630 465HP 1650ft/lbs. 12 speed Freedomline
themisfitking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:50 AM   #23

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
A possible malfunction of the scale?

Has this happened to you more than one time?

Once I was charged as a class 3, so go figure. At least you were undercharged, not overcharged as it was in my case.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 02:28 PM   #24

We had our rig weighed by RVSEF at the Life on Wheels Conference in Moscow Idaho. RVSEF shows up at many RV rallies.

They weigh each wheel. This is important as you can be within axle capacity but exceed wheel capacity because of side-to-side imbalance.

Well worth the $35 to know that all our wheels were within their capacity limits. From that, we knew the proper inflation levels for our tires. We found we could soften up the rear tires of Red Rover, our Volvo truck.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:43 PM   #25

Frank
I picked up my trailer in Grand Rapid MI and the frist thing to do was to weight the rig w/ trailer 38,000 lbs gross, which i was happy i am well under the weight for each axel so i know when i load up we will be in go shape,
Happy camping

Thanks Dwayne
Dwayne & Danette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #26

Weighit
It never crossed my mind to check the weight side to side and we never do on our 18 wheelers
if one side is a lot heaver we could see it from the back of the trailer. But it seems to be correct that with lighter trailers and single tamdum axles you could be over 500 to 1000 lbs and not see the trailer lean from the rear (back) and that would put more wear on the tires and bearing as they will build up more heat and have more torque on the heaver side in tight turns. Makes sense ? ( should carry 1-spear bearing and spendle if you can't correct the weight and your not over weight

Thanks Dwayne
Dwayne & Danette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:59 PM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
We had our bus conversion weighed a few years back (1999)... This was with "A weigh we go" (something like that). Thought they did a great job -- weighing every axle/tire. Also they took a 'footprint' of each tire to see how each tire surface was contacting the road. Wrong tire pressure and not all of your tire tread will contact the road.

Have not weighed the Airstream. Not too worried about overloading the Freightliner..

don
Don in E Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:05 PM   #28

Just weighed a trailer that has had 2 tire failures in the past 500 miles. After weighing each wheel position, both tires that failed were carrying more than they were rated for. The total weight on the axle was not over, just one side was over, not found on a drive on platform scale.. We showed the owner that he either needed to lighten the load, or increase the tires, his call.
weighit is offline   Reply With Quote